Lashley vs Overeem

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Lashley vs Overeem
codyq
2/15/10 10:57:05PM
Lashley is expected to take on the current but not so current champ of strikeforce allistair overeem on the strikeforce 24 card. I see a similarity with lashley and Lesnar. Why are these WWE wrestlers getting so much respect around here? Dont get me wrong, THEY BOTH have potential, but haven't really proven themselves yet. The only difference with Lashley and Lesnar is (Who I think are the same) is Lashley is going to get KTFO in May. Any thoughts on this fiasco? I like the Idea, winner gets Fedor and both belts will be on the line. Who else is there though? I would love to see Shane del Rosario in the mix. Hes 9-0 right now, maybe throw him up against Brett Rogers or andre arlovski. I can see arlovski and rosario fighting and Antonio Silva and rogers fighting. THEN I got Daniel Cormier and Brandon Cash Fighting. I have Barnett and Roger Gracie fighting and then the long awaited Aleksander Emelianenko and Blagoi ivanov fight next as well.
tcunningham
2/15/10 11:19:26PM
i think lashley's in a heep of trouble with overeem. overeem should be fighting fedor with the belts on the line not wasting time with inexperienced fighters like lashley. lashley should fight rogers and overeem should fight fedor
codyq
2/15/10 11:30:51PM
True, but Strikeforce needs to build up fights AND sell fights, not every fan knows who Allistair overeem is or even Fedor for that matter. I think its a good idea what they're doing. Plus, though I feel Lashley will get KTFO I still feel we owe it to him to give him a shot. He is undefeated. I think he is the same fighter as Lesnar, maybe not AS athletic but in the same ball-park.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
slapshot
2/16/10 12:09:31AM
EEK overeem should beat him, why do that? They should let him have some more build up fights first.
gartface
2/16/10 12:11:12AM
If he can get Overeem down, he's in great shape. Dude has some scary ground and pound.

And you're right, Lesnar hasn't proved anything...
cowcatcher
2/16/10 12:17:09AM
lesnar beat randy, mir and heath herring, those are 3 noteworthy names, not to mention hes the heavyweight champ. for you to say he hasnt proved himself is completely ludacris, i dont know what more you want the guy to do. lashley isnt proven yet, but he has potential, and really no one knows how good he is because he hasnt faced top flight talent yet so IMO the jury should be out on the guy. as far as lashley facing overeem goes, there isnt anything finalized and all youre doing is stating your opinions as facts, and your "facts" have a lot of holes in them.

rosario didnt exactly look stellar against cash either, yet somehow it seems he has proven more to you than lesnar, ill stick to mel kiper when it comes to talent evaluation.
codyq
2/16/10 12:36:47AM

rosario didnt exactly look stellar against cash either, yet somehow it seems he has proven more to you than lesnar, ill stick to mel kiper when it comes to talent evaluation.

When did I ever say Rosario is more proven than Lesnar?

Lesnar lost to Mir when mir was not even ranked. He had been trying to build up his name after the accident (the only fighters he beat after the accident up to the lesnar fight was Dan Christianson and antonio hardonk.) He lost to Marcio Cruz, and Vera.
Mirs ONLY notable win was over a sickly NOG, also it really is his ONLY notable win since tim sylvia back in 2004. Look at sokodjou, just cause he beat Arona and little NOG.....what??? was he one of the best??? No look at his record now! UFC fans tend to jump the gun a bit with the mainstream fighters.
Lesnar beat mir the second time, but can we get a rubber match to settle this?
Lesnar beat Couture who was 16-9, who beat Gonzaga who was livin off the cro-cop victory and nobody else. Sylvia has no ground game, and if he doesnt KO you, you have a good chance at beating the guy. Plus it went to decision.

Lesnars got a ways to go and he is already 32 ALMOST 33 : )

Also dont make me have to explain herring LOL

Another thing to whoever said that they should give Lashley a few more build up fights. The guys already 34 years of age, he needs to get the job done NOW IMO.
Shawn91111
2/16/10 12:38:30AM

Posted by codyq

When did I ever say Rosario is more proven than Lesnar?

Lesnar lost to Mir when mir was not even ranked. He had been trying to build up his name after the accident (the only fighters he beat after the accident up to the lesnar fight was Dan Christianson and antonio hardonk.) He lost to Marcio Cruz, and Vera.
Mirs ONLY notable win was over a sickly NOG, also it really is his ONLY notable win since tim sylvia back in 2004. Look at sokodjou, just cause he beat Arona and little NOG.....what??? was he one of the best??? No look at his record now! UFC fans tend to jump the gun a bit with the mainstream fighters.
Lesnar beat mir the second time, but can we get a rubber match to settle this?
Lesnar beat Couture who was 16-9, who beat Gonzaga who was livin off the cro-cop victory and nobody else. Sylvia has no ground game, and if he doesnt KO you, you have a good chance at beating the guy. Plus it went to decision.

Lesnars got a ways to go and he is already 32 ALMOST 33 : )

Also dont make me have to explain herring LOL

Another thing to whoever said that they should give Lashley a few more build up fights. The guys already 34 years of age, he needs to get the job done NOW IMO.

Lesnar hater.
gartface
2/16/10 1:03:06AM
I normally don't do this but I'm going to make a rebuttal. I'll try to keep it short since this is somewhat off topic, seeing as how this is supposed to be about Lashley and Overeem.

1. Mir had plenty of warm up fights before he fought Lesnar the first time. The fight was obviously being dominated, but due to the nature of the sport, anything can happen and did. And he beat Dan ChristISON, and Antoni Hardonk who isn't a bad fighter at all. To say a loss to Brandon Vera is something to hang your head about is ludicrous. As for the Pe De Pano loss, you may have a point, but that was far before he started taking his training seriously.

2. Lesnar had one fight to go on against Min Soo Kim before he was thrown to the proverbial wolves. He has made drastic improvements, but is still not a flawless fighter. Then again, who is? He has a foundation of athleticism and great wrestling. He's doing what a lot of successful fighters do when they start out and use their one great base to build other skills off of.

3. The Soukoudjou argument is somewhat moot, due to the fact that he is a stubborn fighter. His style matched up very well with Noguiera and Arona, but his inability to use his outstanding judo base has made him somewhat obsolete. He has all the potential in the world, and he has a chance to turn it around with a good game plan.

4. Bringing Randy Couture's record into question is once again a moot point. The guy has fought, with the exception of two weeks ago, a stellar list of fighters. He's still looking great at his age. He continues to defy nature. Tim Sylvia was still a dominant fighter at the time they fought, and Gabriel Gonzaga is a quality opponent.

5. The age isn't much of a factor these days. Look at Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, Matt Lindland. If you see the one thing these guys have in common aside from their wrestling pedigree, is the fact they got into the sport late, much like Lesnar and Lashley. With as athletic as Lesnar and Lashley are, their career will probably span another decade. That is, if Lashley decides to dedicate to one sport.

Lashley looks to be showing signs of greatness. Especially with his takedown ability and his ground and pound. He's got a great camp that will take him as far as he wants. If this guy learns some submissions he'll be a force.

If indeed Overeem decides he wants to come through and actually fight in the US(not holding my breath), I can see an upset brewing. If Lashley can keep his distance and get one good shot in, he can take Overeem down, and is big enough to keep him on his back and pound away.

It'll be an interesting fight for sure.
NatedawgThaM
2/16/10 1:43:31AM
Lashley trains with a very very good camp in ATT. They have some beast deadly strikers at that camp so I doubt Lashley will come in unprepared for Overeem's lethal striking. I say all Lashley has to be careful of is a knee/flying knee, or a head kick and he's good to go. Once he gets Overeem down I think he'll beat the piss out of him. Very intriguing fight. Great for either Overeem to build his name off Lashley or Lashley to build his MMA rep off Overeem. This fight easily goes 2 ways IMO, either Overeem knocks him out or Lashley pounds him out. Not sure who I'll go with or root for but definitely should be interesting to see it plan out.

I disagree greatly with you saying lesnar hasn't proved nothing when he's Heavyweight champion. He beat Mir who's definitely a top Heavyweight, did you not watch the destruction of Kongo? Mir IMO is the #3 Heavyweight in the world and Lesnar ran through him with ease. I do agree though that I feel uncomfortable with all the respect the pro wrestlers are getting even though I've said from the start Lashley & Lesnar both have great potential because of size, strength, speed, and their wrestling base. Good camp will make champions out of them. Just 2 things I don't like, when the casual fans see this success I just hate to hear "Damn I thought the UFC was real fighting and has the toughest guys in the world but look what a pro wrestler did to the Heavyweight division" without knowing their facts, especially about how tough pro wrestlers actually are and how much their body actually has to go through. And if they did roid up, they both are naturally big dudes but if they did indeed you roids to get bigger it just sucks somebody can just roid up get big and use that size advantage with wrestling to dominate our sport. Don't like that idea, but I respect them and both will end up world class champions IMO.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/16/10 2:53:58AM

Posted by codyq

This is for all you posters that use rankings as a defense mechanism to prove who is a better fighter in all your debates.

Posted by codyq
Lesnar lost to Mir when mir was not even ranked.

warglory
2/16/10 10:08:57AM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Posted by codyq

This is for all you posters that use rankings as a defense mechanism to prove who is a better fighter in all your debates.

Posted by codyq
Lesnar lost to Mir when mir was not even ranked.

Thank you for putting an end to this sherdog-esque cherade.
codyq
2/16/10 12:14:13PM

Posted by codyq This is for all you posters that use rankings as a defense mechanism to prove who is a better fighter in all your debates. Posted by codyq Lesnar lost to Mir when mir was not even ranked.

K brock lost to Mir when Mir was irrelevant

What you got now?
codyq
2/16/10 12:34:35PM
Your avatar also "ranks" up there as one of the most annoying things in the world too.
RhythmAndStyle
2/16/10 1:09:28PM
imho this wouldn't be a fair fight..lashley no where near top tier fighters..he's too predictable when he shoots in for a td..and ubereem would catch him with one of his career endin knees..and alistair has ground game also..which would mean lashley would be able to keep him down too long or get choked out..if he stuffed lashley and took him down..lashley would be in alot of trouble since i doubt lashley is good off his back..he would be the true definition of a "turtle off his back"..and lashley too short to try to stand with alistair..and doesn't have to stand up skills to get inside and do damage..this would not go well for lashley wherever this fight goes...