Larry Holmes Voices Concerns About MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Larry Holmes Voices Concerns About MMA
MMAcca
7/22/08 1:53:01PM
The former world Heavyweight boxing champion Larry “The Easton Assassin” Holmes has given his views on MMA. He is not a fan.

Holmes told Florida Today:

"Mixed Martial Arts I don't really like because you can get hurt really bad there because you got kicking and everything else, they throw you down. I wouldn't do it. The popularity is there, they get a lot of people but the fighters don't get a lot of money. And they're fighting much harder."

Holmes ruled the Heavyweight division in the 1980s. The 1970s had been a golden era, with huge names such as George Foreman, Joe Frazier and “The Greatest” Muhammad Ali. Following these legends meant that Holmes did not get the credit he deserved for being one of the most dominant champions in history.

LINK
Wolfenstein
7/22/08 2:11:56PM
Yeah, you're not a fan and it shows. Maybe you've forgotten Larry but you can get hurt real bad with boxing gloves to, that's why it's called a combat sport. If you don't know much about something, keep your mouth shut.
krthll1
7/22/08 2:12:04PM
Strange he never voiced his concerns about it before. He was on Sport Unfiltered once and didn't say anything. He was on the show with Chuck Liddell and Forrest Griffin and all he said was that they were crazy for doing it.
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
7/22/08 2:30:06PM
Boxers are retarded, and the best thing about boxing is how it fits so well into MMA.
MMAcca
7/22/08 3:20:47PM

Posted by Muay-Thai_Mogwai

Boxers are retarded

'Quote of the year......'

Svartorm
7/22/08 4:17:25PM
Theres irony in this statement, considering Larry Holmes has some of the worst pugilistic dementia I've ever seen. He was on Conan O'Brian once and it was actually painful to watch him try and function.
bls1919
7/22/08 4:51:46PM
I'll give homes his credit where it is due but he really has no idea what he is talking about. Have you heard the man speak, he is either non intelegent or took to many punches. My guess is the later. Which sport is more dangerous?
telnights
7/22/08 5:13:25PM

Posted by Svartorm

Theres irony in this statement, considering Larry Holmes has some of the worst pugilistic dementia I've ever seen. He was on Conan O'Brian once and it was actually painful to watch him try and function.

Yeah I watched the same show. He isn't even the same guy he once was and it wasn't old age affecting him. This seams to be the case with so many of the sports top boxers over the years.
McBee
7/22/08 5:16:19PM
there have been multiple doctors that praised MMA as a great substitution for boxing because cuts, breaks and sprangs can be fixed yet 250 punches to the face a match with multiple Knockdowns each fight can be deadly
wrona666
7/22/08 6:40:41PM
Yeah you got a guy that can bearly even communicate because of his years as a boxer, and he is bashing MMA......That is just priceless.....
FrankTheTank1181
7/23/08 12:58:24AM

Posted by MMAcca

The former world Heavyweight boxing champion Larry “The Easton Assassin” Holmes has given his views on MMA. He is not a fan.

Holmes told Florida Today:

"Mixed Martial Arts I don't really like because you can get hurt really bad there because you got kicking and everything else, they throw you down. I wouldn't do it. The popularity is there, they get a lot of people but the fighters don't get a lot of money. And they're fighting much harder."

Holmes ruled the Heavyweight division in the 1980s. The 1970s had been a golden era, with huge names such as George Foreman, Joe Frazier and “The Greatest” Muhammad Ali. Following these legends meant that Holmes did not get the credit he deserved for being one of the most dominant champions in history.

LINK

Funny he says that when he can hardly function, and as sad as it is look at Muhammed Ali. Oh not to mention Oscar Diaz layin in a hospital in a coma.
Sir_Karl
7/23/08 1:13:34AM
Larry is just defending his DYING SPORT.
MMA is obviously less dangerous than boxing.
It's been said a million times before but...boxing gloves are far larger than MMA gloves....which means they take far more punches. Key phrase "repeated punches".
I have seen many boxing matches that have gone the distance where 1 of the fighters (and sometimes both) has gotten punched 400 to 500 times.
Boxing matches are also longer. The average MMA bout has a 15 minute time limit (3x5 minute rounds), while boxing usually has 12x3 minute rounds (36 minutes).
Longer equals more punches.
We also can't forget that in boxing...the head is the focus of most of the strikes.
There is far more to MMA than punching someone in the head or gut.
MMA "appears" very brutal to new or prospective fans. The elbows, knees and blood are the "culprits". Elbows and knees are allowed in Muay Thai kickboxing....nobody says anything about that...and head cuts bleed a good amount. Let them think and/or say what they want...we know better.
MMA has top notch referees, credible doctors and proficient ambulatory services.
I would much rather retire from MMA with a few scars, a few sore joints and bones etc....than with some brain damage.....which Larry Holmes obviously has.
Basically what the "detractors" are saying is: THEY KNOW WHAT IS BETTER FOR YOU.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT FREEDOM IS? MY CHOICE TO WATCH...THEIR CHOICE TO FIGHT.
of course Larry has the freedom to voice his opinion...as I do.
Bye bye.
lomez
7/23/08 1:40:41AM
Larry Holmes is a walking cautionary tale against boxing
EliasG
7/23/08 2:33:49AM
lol at calling someone dumb while spelling intelligent incorrectly. Funny stuff.

You guys are right, Larry Holmes doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to MMA. He's been to some shows but he is boxing purist, watch his style. His jab was a thing of beauty in his day. That man KNOWS how to box. Lots of MMA guys work with boxers all the time on hands and many of them wish they could get boxing money.

I just happen to think that he is wrong. When Larry starts throwing stones, he just has to remember that Boxing has been called a brutal sport for years and it has even been banned professionally in some countries.