Kyokushin in MMA

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Kyokushin in MMA
koji112091
6/21/07 10:37:18AM
HI. I was just wondering if kyokushin does well in MMA. Some people tell me it does and some say it doesn't.
Which is your openion.
DangerousDjohn
6/21/07 11:34:53AM
I guess it might help a little, but you shouldn't rely on it. If thats all you know, you might as well quit before your fight.
Signal2112
6/21/07 11:35:59AM
It's a decent enough base for standup I guess, GSP is a practicioner of the art. However, it doesn't have as tight as a defense as traditional boxing training will give you, and I'd place it secondary to say, Muay Thai, which teaches good discipline with knees, elbows and the clinch as well as the standard array of kicks and punches.
koji112091
6/21/07 11:39:37AM
Thanks for the info. it answers alot of questions.
fedorwins1
6/21/07 12:50:56PM
Yeah some great fighters have come from Kyokushin background as others have said GSP is an example and I believe Bas Rutten came from Kyokushin also, but I could be wrong.
koji112091
6/21/07 11:47:09PM
Well, thanks for all the info.
I have always believed in the philosophy that it does not matter about the style you are. All that matters is how much you train in it.
with some exceptions of cours. I don't believe that someone who does tai chi for 3 hours every day would beat someone who does kyokushin for 2 hours every day.
I could be wrong though. I know nothing about tai chi.

OSU!
richieb19
6/22/07 12:28:01AM
Kyokushin is a fantastic base for striking in MMA, don't fall into the stereotype that all falls second to Muay Thai (or BJJ if were speaking grappling). As I know it there are full contact sparring sessions in regular classes, and if I remember correctly in K-1, almost all the champs come from either a KK or MT background... so your awnser is yes, it's legit... the most legit of all the Karate variants IMHO...
koji112091
6/22/07 9:29:54AM
I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah kyokushin does have full contact kumite whith the exception of no face punchs but you can kick the head all you want.
The creator of this art, Mas Oyama, was one of the greatest martial artist to have walked the earth. He defeated people in kumite with sometimes only one blow. He killed a man in self defense and killed bulls with his karate aswell.
For some strange reason people in were I live have never heard of kyokushin, but in Japan it is very popular. So mabey if it gets more popular here in the states mabey more people would hear about it in UFC.
richieb19
6/22/07 11:57:52AM

Posted by koji112091

I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah kyokushin does have full contact kumite whith the exception of no face punchs but you can kick the head all you want.
The creator of this art, Mas Oyama, was one of the greatest martial artist to have walked the earth. He defeated people in kumite with sometimes only one blow. He killed a man in self defense and killed bulls with his karate aswell.
For some strange reason people in were I live have never heard of kyokushin, but in Japan it is very popular. So mabey if it gets more popular here in the states mabey more people would hear about it in UFC.

The reason it's overlooked and underrated is simply because it's Karate. The name Karate, albeit popular, has really gone down the drain as far as peoples perception of it's effectiveness throughout the years, and in some way it's a just stereotype. There are ALOT of Karate McDojos, or schools devoted more to children than actual combat. Also the fact that some will allow blackbelts to people under 16, and withing only a few years also makes people question it's legitimacy... but the biggest problem with Karate IMO is that there are far too many variants, such as Shotokan (which I believe is the original), Kempo, Ryushin, etc... and the problem is to know which one to chose and how they differ... but from everything I've seen and heard, Kyokushin (which also teaches knees I believe) is by far the best variant to translate to actual striking competition, and don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put down any of the other variants. As I've mentioned before, don't fall into the stereotype that Muay Thai or Boxing are necessary or better, because it isn't the case at all... MT guys may have a solid base, but the hands lack, and boxers have great hands, but there are no kicks and the transition to MMA requires a much smaller glove, which changes everything... Karate guys come with a fantastic parry and great straight punches, however don't be fooled that one art is supreme to another, as you mentioned earlier it's the artist not the art. So go train Kyukushin, and spar with as many people as you can with different sizes, experience levels and backgrounds to truly up your game.

ps. Yes I've heard stories of Mas Oyama, and although the tales may be inflated, it's something to consider, as our generation had Bruce Lee, who shocked people with things like the one-inch-punch.
koji112091
6/22/07 11:48:01PM
Great info again. It makes complete sense and I agree whith most of the facts.
All these Mcdojos are ruining the real meaning just becasue of $$$$; however, this trate in not unique to karate. TKD is what I hear a lot about, how it is ruined, how the olympics had something to do with it. I think that it is all these kid classes which have gave some styles that missleading ways.

BTW. shotokan is not the first. it is one of the oldest but it is not the first. Gichin Funakoshi learned karate in okinawa and in his later years created a style which his students name for him shoto-kan. Shoto was his pen name when he wrote poetry. There are groups of people who argue were karate came from but most would say that it was created in okinawa with some chinese influences. Most people would think that shotokan was the first because Funakoshi done a great job at populorizeing this art, but this is not true.

Thanks for your help.

OSU!