Kyle Maynard (disabled fighter)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kyle Maynard (disabled fighter)
fedorwins1
8/8/07 1:31:15PM
This guy is trying to fight in MMA, but he has no arms or legs. Here's a video of him grappling at NAGA. I personally wouldn't let him fight in MMA.

Kyle Maynard
fedorwins1
8/8/07 2:11:12PM
Sorry I forgot the video
Rua22
8/8/07 2:40:21PM
that was pretty crazy. i wonder how young the kid he was grappling actually was. i don't think i would let him compete either (however right or wrong that opinion may be), but you definitely gotta admire someone with heart like that and someone that is able to make there niche against all odds.
wilwith1l
8/8/07 2:47:40PM
I can't imagine what weight class he would be in. I mean arms and legs are pretty heavy.
LR
8/8/07 3:30:05PM
Very good interview with the promoter who is putting on the fight on the Jordan Breen show Podcast through Sherdog.
madmarck
8/8/07 6:45:42PM

Posted by wilwith1l

I can't imagine what weight class he would be in. I mean arms and legs are pretty heavy.

Good point. Not to mention there are several subs he cannot do.

Rear naked and Armbar wouldnt work.
AS well almost any kind of leglock would be impossible. He has no hands to grip with so i doubt he would pose a threat to a Pro MMA fighter.

Also in a fight wiht him wouldnt head kicks go out the windo b/c i dont think he cant stand on whats left of his legs.
In MMA anyone could outbox him. Without the arm reach to defend against anyone i cant see MMA going good for him.

That being said if he wants to grapple im not gonna try and stop him. What ever makes you feel happy.
Lord_Lenny
8/8/07 7:31:10PM
he is fighting in amateur MMA so the rules favor him
puppetmaster837
8/8/07 9:14:06PM
Also it seems like it would be hard to find a professional fighter to figth him. If you win its not really something you can brag about, and most would probably feel awkward fighting a guy with his disabilities.
Svartorm
8/9/07 12:12:01AM

Posted by wilwith1l

I read an interview with him, and he said hes 125lbs right now, but would have to bump up to 135lbs to even find competition.

Honestly I think its a huge mistake for everyone involved. He essentially can't strike, can't be hit with kicks or knees, because hes on his knees at all times, and thereby is a "downed opponent", the amount of submissions he can perform is extremely basic (armbar, arm triangle and maybe an omaplata) and although there are some submissions he can't physically be put in, there are many more he can't defend.

Its a lose-lose situation for anyone fighting him. You either defeat a guy with no arms or legs and look like an asshole, or lose to a guy with no arms or legs and look like the worst fighter ever.

The only way Maynard can possibly win is via decision, and that would depend on whether the guy hes fighting is nice enough to not uppercut him for three rounds straight.

Its great he wants to compete and apparently grappling is his thing, but I don't see it being wise to go to MMA.
wilwith1l
8/9/07 12:13:20AM
We used to wrestle against blind and deaf guys. There were special rules. Like against the blind guys, we had to maintain physical contact at all times.
Stickan
8/9/07 6:34:17AM
Like LR said, listen to the interview with the promoter of the event that Kyle will fight in on Sherdog. It might change your mind.

I'm personally fine with it as long as it's amature rules. Then it's basically a grappling match with punches to the body which are strikes he can both perform and defend against.
cowcatcher
8/9/07 9:17:56AM
the guy should be able to compete as an amateur, but its going to be tugh to find people to get in there with him for obvious reasons that have been stated. i think anyone who has the heart to get in there and go for it with so many obstacles in front of him deserves a ton of credit, but its a foregone conclusion that he'll never be a top competitor.
chadtruitt1979
8/10/07 2:07:27PM
Maybe he would do ok I guess. He is a good wrestler but the strikes are what is going to get him.
TheHitmanTL
8/10/07 6:10:12PM
mann just let the poor guy fight.....if he wants to fight in MMA the let him do it it should be his choice and not anyone elses.....if he can beat ppl in wrestling then im pretty sure he could pull it off in mma i mean its not like hes gonna be fighting peopl that weigh more than him....the guy is an inspirational figure and ya know what im DAMN WELL in spired by this guy and i think he deserves to be able to fight in mma.....take it or leave it
hippysmacker
8/11/07 5:10:38AM

Posted by fedorwins1

This guy is trying to fight in MMA, but he has no arms or legs. Here's a video of him grappling at NAGA. I personally wouldn't let him fight in MMA.

Kyle Maynard

totally agree. I don't wan him to get seriously injured or anything, but if the regulatory bodies allow this, they deserve a beating worse than he will get. Any competent fighter would dominate this guy. Inspiration as his grappling can be, I don't want to see this guy get mauled
Stickan
8/11/07 5:38:29AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by fedorwins1

Kyle Maynard

totally agree. I don't wan him to get seriously injured or anything, but if the regulatory bodies allow this, they deserve a beating worse than he will get. Any competent fighter would dominate this guy. Inspiration as his grappling can be, I don't want to see this guy get mauled

The rules are almost made for a guy like him. He won't get mauled.

And about finding opponents. Apparentely it was the easiest fights to find opponents for according to the promoter. Those guys probably see this as an opportunity to piggy back off Kyle┬┤s semi-fame and get an "easy" win.
Svartorm
8/12/07 2:31:54AM
Wow, that really says a lot about those guys. In that case I hope Maynard tears their arms off.
MoJoy
8/12/07 11:58:38AM
I admire and respect this guy, and what I saw looked ok, it looked like a wrestling match. But he should never be allowed in a real MMA fight for his own safety. If you get cut, they stop the fight for your own safety. This guy has no way of defending himself, for his own safety they should not let him fight. MMA No, Wrestling yes. I dont see him beating a pro fighter, and I dont see what anyone gets from beating him. He does deserve to be recognized as a person of great character, and will.
BigEvil
8/12/07 9:54:24PM
I think it's good he's doing this and I think some kind of mma league for diasabled people (kinda like murder ball) would be a great thing. However it would be totally unfair for any able bodied professional fighter to fight him, it's a lose lose situation.
chickenhawk
8/13/07 10:38:12AM
Im not sure if anyone on here knows kyle personally...Im actually the one they role called to fight him...it wont be easy...he wont be killed...if anyone has actually ever trained with him, its very very tough...there is no guard to pass, but at the same time, you cant get past him, he constantly turns into you and is right back up in attacking position. i grappled him at naga to a draw...very strong, very attacking. no arms to armbar, no ankles or knees to submit either...almost cheating...lol...all their is left is to choke...but he stays into you so much and has such a small turning radius, its hard to take his back...once i did, all you can do is leg lock his body, other wise hell just step over your hook...its really awkward rolling with him, but definently enjoyable so see someone of his nature adjust and compete...MMA wise, he wont be punched in the face in GA, nor will GNP be an issue...it will more than likely go the distance...but, my only concern was how will the judge and audience take it...they are tryin to put a positive spin on it now media wise, but safety wise, he'll be just fine...he played football in highschool, wont be any worse than being trampled on there....
DCRage
8/15/07 6:46:25PM
I just read that his application to fight in GA has been denied. The explanation seems to be that he'd always be fighting on the ground, and Amateur MMA rules in GA prohibit striking to the head on the ground. Maynard is said to be very upset about this.