Kurt Angle to fight Lesnar in "MMA"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kurt Angle to fight Lesnar in "MMA"
SteedTheDeed
7/2/07 2:59:37PM
This past weekend in Tokyo, Japan, TNA World Champion Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar to capture the IWGP Title at the debut show of Antonio Inoki's new IGF promotion. Angle defeated Lesnar in 11 minutes with his trademark finisher, the anklelock.

The new IGF promotion (INOKI GENOME FEDERATION) has an mixed martial arts twist to it - with competitors wearing open-fingered gloves and the matches having no count-outs.

Angle started strong early on, giving Lesnar several German Suplexes in a row. Lesnar managed to ground Angle and put him a headlock for a few moments, before Angle powered out of it. They both teased doing their finishes in the first part of the match, with each managing to escape from the others' finish. The end of the match came when Lesnar managed to F5 Angle, then placed Angle in an ankle Kurt managed to roll out of it, reversed the move and placing Lesnar in the ankle lock. Lesnar tapped and Kurt Angle is the new IWGP Champion.

After the match, Brock Lesnar challenged Angle to a re-match under mixed martial arts rules. With Brock Lesnar now a legit MMA competitor and Kurt Angle stating many times that he is interested in entering the world of MMA, it is very possible we will see the two face off in a worked MMA-style match.

So instead of actually fighting they will be fighting MMA rules in pro wrestling, i thought lesnar was done with wrestling?
Piccosaur
7/2/07 4:16:05PM
So... it's still a fake fight then?
Violentcuv
7/2/07 4:16:40PM
I hope this doesn't happen.

I didnt think Lesnar would look back to wrestling either once he started training MMA.

This will do nothing positive for MMA.
SteedTheDeed
7/2/07 4:17:25PM

Posted by Piccosaur

So... it's still a fake fight then?

yea, thats why it doesn't make any sense. who is this suppose to appeal to?
Piccosaur
7/2/07 4:35:43PM
In my opinion all this shows is that MMA is more entertaining than wrestling, if their gonna have an MMA match on a wrestling show.

You see where I'm going with this?
Aether
7/2/07 5:39:55PM
arrrrrghhhh.... I don't like this idea. Isn't pro wrestling essentially a fake version of MMA without kicks already anyway? What the hell is the point of this? Maybe Brock wants to show Dana that he really can compete in MMA with a staged MMA match. LOL.
rcg916
7/2/07 5:51:05PM
Those types of matches never even appear real enough to not seem worked, so at least it would still fall into the realm of pro wrestling. I agree, he shouldnt do a match like that if its fought under the pretense that its real.

As far as Brock being done with wrestling goes, he makes so much money in Japan, I bet itll be hard for him to quit all together. Regardless, if hes going to make a serious run at MMA, he needs to be dedicated to one or the other, not just where the paycheck calls. I guess time will tell on him...
cmill21
7/2/07 6:00:43PM
This may be good for mma, it may bring in a bunch of new fans from wrestling circles. If they are exposed to mma then the wwe may die just as boxing did, leaving the UFC the dominant figure in combat sports.
Aether
7/2/07 6:24:33PM
good point, I guess it could introduce MMA (kind of) to a new audience.... Maybe not such a horrible idea, new fans is always a good thing.
FeelTheJoy
7/2/07 6:56:47PM
screw that new audience. they enjoy FAKE WRESTLING. thats like saying hitler was a nice guy. doesnt make any sense. but i guess bringing more people to mma wont hurt. i just dont like band wagoners. they annoy me.but i would love to see prof wrestl die out. and maybe them seeing the real deal will make them come to there senses and be like. wow what have i been watching all these years. that stuff really is not cool.
itsfrankwhite
7/2/07 8:55:56PM
sound to me like kayfabe rules not MMA rules!
Stickan
7/2/07 9:03:09PM
I don't think Angle will ever do MMA. If he was that interested in doing it he would've already fought.

Lesnar should quit pro wrestling all together and spend his time using his talent and skills for MMA.
jrbinoki
7/2/07 9:33:13PM
WHOA!!! when did this start???
rcg916
7/2/07 10:22:58PM

Posted by Stickan

I don't think Angle will ever do MMA. If he was that interested in doing it he would've already fought.

Lesnar should quit pro wrestling all together and spend his time using his talent and skills for MMA.

yep.
ncordless
7/3/07 1:28:50AM
If you think about it and know your Japanese MMA history, this really isn't that weird or wrong. Sakuraba and Tamura just to name a few came from Japanese pro wrestling. In fact the wrestling there started to look like mma in the early nineties.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see a crossover in the US... but it's old hat in Japan.
boob
7/3/07 9:20:15AM
UGH...... Can't 'sports entertainment' just go away...
ultimatefighter33
7/3/07 1:01:43PM
those 2 will just be hurting the sport having a fixed mma fight angle shouldnt even be thinking mma and lesnar should be focused on more fights than wrestling
Ultimate_fighter
7/3/07 1:50:39PM
I hope this doesn't happen, this would be dumb, but Lensar would smash him!
rcg916
7/3/07 3:29:14PM

Posted by ncordless

If you think about it and know your Japanese MMA history, this really isn't that weird or wrong. Sakuraba and Tamura just to name a few came from Japanese pro wrestling. In fact the wrestling there started to look like mma in the early nineties.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see a crossover in the US... but it's old hat in Japan.

Definitely. And as far as everyone saying that they wish Pro Wrestling would go away... Its been around for a long time, and isnt going anywhere. Since they are completely seperate mediums, Id say there is room for both.

And new fans, regardless of the origin, are good for the sport. Anyone who says otherwise is just being an MMA-elitist, which there seems to be a lot of lately... Enjoy one, or the other... Or both.
SteedTheDeed
7/3/07 7:18:11PM

Lesnar is much bigger than Angle
warglory
7/3/07 9:18:31PM

Posted by Stickan

Why? He makes quite a bit of money in Japan wrestling.