MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Koschecks' a shroomer
POLL: should drugs be tested for?
Yes 48% (10)
No 5% (1)
Only steroids 38% (8)
whats the diffrence? 10% (2)
MMA117
4/16/07 5:22:12AM
during the sherdog interview of nick diez one of them rumered that koscheck reportedly tested + for shrooms.
VanellaL47
4/16/07 8:39:19AM
Who knows how valid that rumor was...
JimiMak
4/16/07 5:09:11PM
If an activity doesn't "enhance" performance I don't care what a fighter does in his free time. Nor an actor musician any other athlete etc. I don't care if any of you do it, why would you care if a fighter likes to get high? Do you hate on fighters that like to drink?
xthe_scottx
4/16/07 5:28:37PM

Posted by JimiMak

If an activity doesn't "enhance" performance I don't care what a fighter does in his free time. Nor an actor musician any other athlete etc. I don't care if any of you do it, why would you care if a fighter likes to get high? Do you hate on fighters that like to drink?

Once again, it's not that these drugs don't enhance performance but the fact that they are illegal. An athlete in any sport should not only be a role model but someone who can be trusted not to break the law. I don't understand why this keeps coming up. If fighters started beating people up on the streets because they felt like it, people would say they were overrated and terrible people and yet when they use an illegal substance you say it shouldn't be considered a problem? I am in no way trying to insult you but shouldn't someone who does something illegal pay the price for their crime whether they are a professional fighter, celebrity or just someone who wants to get high?
JimiMak
4/16/07 6:51:50PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

Posted by JimiMak

Once again, it's not that these drugs don't enhance performance but the fact that they are illegal. An athlete in any sport should not only be a role model but someone who can be trusted not to break the law. I don't understand why this keeps coming up. If fighters started beating people up on the streets because they felt like it, people would say they were overrated and terrible people and yet when they use an illegal substance you say it shouldn't be considered a problem? I am in no way trying to insult you but shouldn't someone who does something illegal pay the price for their crime whether they are a professional fighter, celebrity or just someone who wants to get high?

Payment for crimes is determined by police and judges not sac's. Is the legal problem your only issue? If they were tomorrow to decide psychedelic mushrooms are legal would you say o well?
And while this thread is on shrooms this usually comes up in regards to pot, in both California and Nevada it has been decriminilized. It's a civil infraction equal to jay walking or littering. Should the state athletic commisions be making sure ppl don't get traffic tickets?
They should only be concerned with things that directly effect the sport. If UFC wants to have codes of outside conduct like the NFL that they enforce with their own fines suspensions etc then the fighter has to live up to that standard. Until then, IMHO, proffessional athletes have no responsibility to act as role models. They get paid to do a job. And again, I don't care what these guys do on their personal time. Ppl pay to see them do what they do, not because of what kind of person they are, because they do it better than anyone else. And the comparison to fighting outside of the ring is ridiculous because that hurts others.
deadcore
4/16/07 7:06:07PM
what kind of tests do they conduct on these fighters? piss tests? shrooms don't show on piss tests. hair tests? hair tests detect shit from too far back to be very valuable. spinal taps? very dangerous and the law can't even make you do them.
xthe_scottx
4/16/07 7:08:50PM
I never mentioned anything about pot specifically in my post. Also, pot though decriminalized in CA and NV, it is still federally illegal. I just don't understand how you can say it's okay to do any drugs because you personally don't care or in some states the punishment isn't harsh. It is juvenile and just plain stupid to do any drug when you are a professional athlete, especially if it doesn't help you in any way. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
JimiMak
4/16/07 7:19:35PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I never mentioned anything about pot specifically in my post. Also, pot though decriminalized in CA and NV, it is still federally illegal. I just don't understand how you can say it's okay to do any drugs because you personally don't care or in some states the punishment isn't harsh. It is juvenile and just plain stupid to do any drug when you are a professional athlete, especially if it doesn't help you in any way. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I' m not saying it's "ok", I'm saying the NSAC (and all of them) have no business wanting to know about chemicals like psylocibin or thc. That's for the law. I know you weren't talking about pot specifically, but that's the problem you try to act as if pot and mushrooms and steroids and heroin are all the same just cuz they're all schedule one. Even the gov't knows this isn't true which is why there's different penalties. If the fighter is breaking the law (say in your fighting example) the cops will take care of that problem that is their job. Same with drugs, you're not talking about a guy getting arrested your talking about him having something in his system. I've said my peace. I respect your viewpoint.
roadking95th
4/17/07 12:37:38AM
All I am saying is 19-1 Woooooooo!