Koscheck wouldn’t mind fighting Penn

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Koscheck wouldn’t mind fighting Penn
Porch28
7/5/08 8:21:11AM
LAS VEGAS – UFC president Dana White is almost resigned to the fact that his lightweight champion, B.J. Penn, is going to leave the division to chase the welterweight belt.

White has long urged Penn to resist the tendency to jump from the division and concentrate on cleaning out the 155-pound division. After Penn’s recent one-sided victories over Joe “Daddy” Stevenson and Sean Sherk, though, White doesn’t have a challenger on the horizon who can keep Penn from abandoning the division.

LINK
MMAcca
7/5/08 9:57:59AM
Now that is someone i would like to see BJ crush
Aether
7/5/08 11:04:20AM
hah... I would love to see BJ sub koscheck. I love the fact that BJ and Anderson aren't settling for the "unbeatable champion" role and moving up to challenge themselves instead. It makes for much more exciting fights IMO.
Porch28
7/5/08 12:26:49PM
Bj Penn by total domination
CCPRIDE99
7/5/08 1:04:29PM
thats what people said about gsp and hughes the second time
i dont think bj would beat koscheck. honestly i think koscheck would dominate bj and just physically overwhelm him with his wrestling and striking to the point bj would just give up like he did in the end of the hughes fight and in the gsp fight
people say that old bj is gone but heart is something you are naturally given, either you got it or you dont, you cant train for it and you cant see the light on it
and how come bj is getting a title shot before thiago alves?
and why did they stop talking about huerta and florian?
and "unbeatable champion?" no bj penn has nowhere near cleaned out the lightweight division as he beat only stevenson pulver and sherk and sherk is the only one i even had ranked
quezocrema0032
7/5/08 1:53:16PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

i dont think bj would beat koscheck. honestly i think koscheck would dominate bj and just physically overwhelm him with his wrestling and striking to the point bj would just give up like he did in the end of the hughes fight and in the gsp fight
people say that old bj is gone but heart is something you are naturally given, either you got it or you dont, you cant train for it and you cant see the light on it
and "unbeatable champion?" no bj penn has nowhere near cleaned out the lightweight division as he beat only stevenson pulver and sherk and sherk is the only one i even had ranked

1. the reason hes getting his shot before alves is because hes more likely to beat gsp then alves ... seeing how many people belive he won the 1st fight
2. i understand he may not have that many wins but who can honnestly beat him being a 100 percent neautral ? ... kenflo huerta sherk stevenson any one you name he would crush ... the only one is aoki and untill he gets here then he has no compitetion ...
3. he was hurt at the end of the hughes fight he didnt give up ... u know how many shots he took from hughes in his position and never once did he try to get out of that fight
4. and lastly as a huge penn fan id love to see kos vs penn kos has a good chance of winning by taking him down repeatedly but penn would prob sub him off his back
Manak
7/5/08 1:54:27PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Do u know who bj is. look at gsp faces at the end of their match. was dominating hughes till he separated his ribs, he has heart or he would have quit in the hughes match n yes vs gsp he gassed but still keep goin.
Gipper
7/5/08 2:46:45PM
kos is probably the best ww besides gsp (hopefully my guy lytle can prove me wrong later) don't get me wrong i'm not a fan but let's face it koschek has the tools and some. i think penn would have to come up and beat the no.1 contender to fight for the ww belt. there are to many top fighters at ww.

i think kos would do good against penn and maybe even beat him. at the same time i'm not sure if anyone could beat bj when he's in shape.
Twenty20Dollars
7/5/08 2:50:26PM
i give kos more credit for this, i mean its like guillard wanting to be champion and doing whatever or going where ever to the be champ.

i dont think bj would totally dominate, i mean kos is becoming a very well rounded mma fighter. i mean yea i still think bj wins, but it would be an exciting fight not just a one sided beat down.
loller90278
7/5/08 3:14:10PM
i'd like to give kos a chance but all he throws are bombs, penn would jab him to death standing up and use his quickness and if it goes to the ground, he would sub him.

it'd be a competitive fight like sherk/penn but the advantage would clearly be to bj.
Porch28
7/5/08 3:17:55PM

Posted by Gipper

kos is probably the best ww besides gsp (

Kos better then Fitch? I don't think so. Thats something we will probably never know for sure though

StriderXero
7/5/08 4:07:23PM
Koscheck wouldn't mind facing BJ, and I wouldn't mind BJ subbing Koscheck.

lol, i'm noy a fan of Koscheck, but I dont hate him either
finnish_line
7/5/08 4:36:07PM

Kos at 155. That would be a scary weigh-in.

DevonFoxy
7/5/08 4:36:30PM
If Kos can make 155 i may just crap my pants. Seriously now thats a drop as he probably walks around at around 190 pds.

See I understand how people would count out Kos but with BJ's gas tank not being tested 5 rounds I think it would be in the Kos fight as Kos is very hard to submit. The only reason Fickett got him was because he rocked him so Idk would be a good fight two of my favs but if Kos makes 155 more than likely I would take Kos by UD.
Porch28
7/5/08 5:06:44PM

Posted by finnish_line

Kos at 155. That would be a scary weigh-in.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
RMFG_187
7/5/08 5:16:44PM
at 155 BJ no doubt, at 170 Bj will still win but has a slimmer chance. But lets wait and see, I dont see him going past round 2 with Lytle.
Gipper
7/5/08 5:23:34PM

Posted by Porch28

Posted by Gipper

kos is probably the best ww besides gsp (

Kos better then Fitch? I don't think so. Thats something we will probably never know for sure though

damn rites i think kos is better. kos has the better wrestling and standup. i'll give fitch the bjj. also i think kos is a better athlete. hey dude...they might not have a choice in the future if the belt is on the line.
Wolfenstein
7/5/08 6:03:54PM
This isn't a matchup I would have thought of. Kos would have a pretty good chance. It's going to take a great athlete like Kos or GSP to beat Penn. Kos seems to be a really tough guy to submit and I think he's much stronger than BJ physically.

I've heard the lightweight division is stacked, and it is...with B+ fighters. I don't see anyone other than BJ that will be entering the top ten p4p fighters anytime soon. On the other hand I could see a number of fighters from the welterweight division getting there in the future.

There just isn't anyone that I think has a remote chance of beating BJ at lw. At welterweight there are a ton of intriguing matchups. BJ could be tested by just about anyone in the top ten ww division in my opinion. Let em move up Dana. No reason for Kos to drain his body of every ounce of water.
holt8081
7/5/08 7:49:21PM
I dont really think that I have to say any thang

exept for some one tryed to steal my avatar.
Aether
7/6/08 3:24:36AM
I don't understand these people saying "he hasn't cleared the division"... Does he really need to? Can't you look at the matchups objectively and see that he has no real competition at 155 in the UFC? Sherk was pretty much the only one that anyone thought had a reasonable chance of beating him, and BJ had complete control of that fight from start to finish. BJ has a really distinct advantage because of his takedown defense and unbelievable jiu-jitsu... Basically against a lightweight the fight takes place wherever BJ wants it to. Even GSP and Hughes in his prime couldn't take him down until he gassed/separated his ribs (and I believe he beat GSP in their match) both huge 170 lbers with EXCELLENT takedowns. Not only that but he went a full 3 rounds with the man that everyone considers to be the ultimate lightweight workhorse. That's a pretty strong indication of how much his cardio has improved.

Kenny Florian and Roger Huerta don't bring enough to the table for BJ to want to delay his rematch with GSP. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. I doubt that you will tell me that you think either of those fighters have a reasonable chance to beat him. People just don't like seeing champions vacate their titles. I agree it kind of sucks, but think about it objectively: which fight will be more entertaining? Penn GSP or Penn Huerta/Florian?

I want to see GSP/Penn. I also want to see Penn fighting at welterweight where there are guys with a better chance to beat him because of their size and the fact that welterweight is just a more talented division in the UFC overall.

I would just much rather see the best fighters accepting the toughest challenges than watch them prove that they can do what everyone already thinks they can do.
Red-Dragon
7/6/08 6:12:26AM
I think Sanchez has a better chance against BJ than Koz as he has better JJ defence and probably cleaner combinations on the feet. And I also think that due to how well Sanchez showed in his last fight a Sanchez v Koz rubber match should happen to decide who is the best and who gets the next title shot if any.

Lets not forget that Koz was totally dominated by GSP and I have not seen that much improvement in Koz since that fight. If GSP can dominate Koz at his own game (wrestling) then BJ can pretty much beat him by however he chooses.
finnish_line
7/6/08 12:06:57PM

Posted by Aether

which fight will be more entertaining? Penn GSP or Penn Huerta/Florian?

I think I'll personally be more entertained by Penn/Huerta.

1) I haven't seen that match already

2) Huerta will have earned that shot

Why did BJ even drop down to lightweight in the first place if he was just going to bail after three fights?
Figsak
7/6/08 12:58:56PM
Penn Huerta would ideed be fast and furious fun.

I think I'd rather see Florian Vs Penns though. I think it would be a slugfest with each fighter respecting the others BJJ skills.
CCPRIDE99
7/7/08 8:48:50PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by CCPRIDE99

Do u know who bj is. look at gsp faces at the end of their match. was dominating hughes till he separated his ribs, he has heart or he would have quit in the hughes match n yes vs gsp he gassed but still keep goin.

if bj was as great as everybody said he was, he wouldnt ever gas and he wouldnt start getting his ass beat after he separated his ribs.
if that were the case, franklin would have started getting beat down after he broke his hand against lousieu (sp) or forrest griffin wouldve gotten stopped when he got his arm broken
theres so many other instances where other guys have been injured just as bad or worse and didnt start to get destroyed, which is what happened at the end of the hughes fight
and as for bj dominating anybody else in the division, no way.
i think huerta would beat bj easily, guillard would smash bj, nick diaz would pick bj apart, yves edwards would cut through bj, tyson griffin would beat bj down, theres a long list of people that would, and well never get the opportunity to see it because dana is protecting him, and nobody can really prove that he isnt as the only top lightweight he fought was sean sherk, who dana tried to keep from happening anyways. i believe bj is being way over-hyped, just the way dana white described fedor

and btw, bj did quit against hughes, he tapped to the ground and pound, another thing a top guy should never do, especially since it happened on the ground where everybody says bj is so great

i cant wait to hear all the whining from all the stupid blow-job penn nuthuggers im about to get for this

KURM
12/2/08 12:23:21AM
Penn did not win the fight with pierre, he won the 1st round that's it!!
Rampage200
12/2/08 10:47:20AM
He's gotta put a run together first