Koscheck has no plans to sign licensing agreement

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Koscheck has no plans to sign licensing agreement
MMAcca
12/7/08 9:06:06AM
Looks like Koscheck will be leaving the UFC very soon.......

During this week’s edition of ESPN.com’s MMA Live, Franklin McNeil of the NewarK Star-Ledger stated that UFC welterweight Josh Koscheck has not signed the infamous merchandising and licensing agreement that was one of the contributing factors for Jon Fitch’s brief release from the UFC last month.

Koscheck is a teammate of Fitch’s at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose and is also represented by the same management company, Zinkin Entertainment. The former NCAA wrestling standout is set to face Yoshiyuki Yoshida at “UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fight for the Troops” on Dec. 10 in Fayatteville, North Carolina.

McNeil expressed uncertainty as to whether Koscheck will continue fighting for the UFC following the bout’s conclusion.

LINK
motorboatensob
12/7/08 11:35:17AM
Don't really see him fighting any where else the UFC is what made him some what of a name. If he goes anywhere else and there aren't many other places to go he would be all but invisible.
Mayo
12/7/08 12:52:46PM
If leaving the UFC is as simple as not signing the licensing agreement then why didn't Randy take that path?
decken
12/7/08 1:37:42PM

Posted by Mayo

If leaving the UFC is as simple as not signing the licensing agreement then why didn't Randy take that path?

Because the UFC never releases their Champions they wait until they lose and then release them.

Example: Big Tim
Pitbull09
12/7/08 1:40:52PM
Couture vs. Fedor would've made a ton of money and publicity. Kos fighting outside wouldn't

What pisses me off is that the UFC is determining their roster by who agrees to sign their lifetime rights to a videogame! I mean, I can see how it would be frustrating but you don't get rid of fighters over stuff that has nothing to even do with fighting to begin with. The agree to fight anyone they are given, they follow the contract they are currently under. So why would a video game contract have to be that important?
warglory
12/7/08 2:23:09PM

Posted by decken

Posted by Mayo

Because the UFC never releases their Champions they wait until they lose and then release them.

Example: Big Tim

Tim Sylvia chose to leave, it was his choice.
warglory
12/7/08 2:27:34PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Couture vs. Fedor would've made a ton of money and publicity. Kos fighting outside wouldn't

What pisses me off is that the UFC is determining their roster by who agrees to sign their lifetime rights to a videogame! I mean, I can see how it would be frustrating but you don't get rid of fighters over stuff that has nothing to even do with fighting to begin with. The agree to fight anyone they are given, they follow the contract they are currently under. So why would a video game contract have to be that important?

It's more than just the contract to Dana White, it's the fact that Koscheck was a nobody before the UFC, and he was excelled into main card status almost instantly after appearing on the Ultimate Fighter. Josh, literally, owes his entire career to the UFC, without them, he wouldn't even have the opportunity to appear in a video game, contract or not. Besides, what is the likelihood that he is going to appear in an opposing MMA game anytime soon?

I can appreciate Josh's opinion, but it's practically moot in the grand scheme of things. Self righteousness does NOT pay the bills, and when you are in such a volatile line of work, you can't take chances. Simple as that.
wrona666
12/7/08 6:32:17PM
If Kos leaves the UFC it would be a huge mistake.....
prozacnation1978
12/7/08 6:56:05PM
i think kos won't stick to word he will sign eventually
bls1919
12/7/08 8:21:59PM
I don't know the in and outs of this BS. If it is a contract for life for his likeness, is not just in the game but other places i say stick to your guns that is BS. But if it is just for the game he will sign soon and get it over.
GrandMaster313
12/7/08 8:27:43PM
He is a boring fighter I could caare less if decides to leave.
warglory
12/7/08 9:33:59PM

Posted by bls1919

I don't know the in and outs of this BS. If it is a contract for life for his likeness, is not just in the game but other places i say stick to your guns that is BS. But if it is just for the game he will sign soon and get it over.

It has to be just for the game, any other supposed likeness obligations would definitely be thrown out if challenged in court, even after signing the contract.
Pyrenus
12/8/08 9:48:41AM

Posted by warglory
It has to be just for the game, any other supposed likeness obligations would definitely be thrown out if challenged in court, even after signing the contract.

Did you read the contract as it was posted a few weeks ago? They were basically signing their life away.

Challenging in court is not an option for these guys. Ask Randy. They'd be well out of fighting prime and the public's eye by the time the UFC let them out of court.