Would Koscheck embarass Hughes?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Would Koscheck embarass Hughes?
Next Page »
POLL: Hughes Koscheck
Hughes decision 20% (13)
Koscheck Decision 30% (19)
Hughes SUB 13% (8)
Koscheck SUB 2% (1)
Hughes KO/ TKO 17% (11)
Koscheck KO/ TKO 19% (12)
seanfu
3/5/08 4:03:43PM
I heard some stuff about Koscheck calling Hughes out. In the matchup I think it's possible for him to beat Hughes. Hughes is getting old and can't train like he used to.

Koscheck, having a wrestling skill level rivaling Hughes, could sprawl and brawl him for 3 rounds and earn a close decision.
roger
3/5/08 4:10:41PM
i think Koscheck would get a split Decision
Twenty20Dollars
3/5/08 4:34:41PM
I think koscheck would destroy him right now, just my opinion though.

Kos didnt get finished by gsp and matt got finished twice by gsp.

kos is just getting better more well rounded at this point and hughes is falling out of the game.
jiujitsufreak74
3/5/08 4:38:58PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I think koscheck would destroy him right now, just my opinion though.

Kos didnt get finished by gsp and matt got finished twice by gsp.

kos is just getting better more well rounded at this point and hughes is falling out of the game.

that MMAth will come up to bite you so be careful

anyway i think it would be an interesting fight and i believe it would go like GSP v Koscheck. i just think that Hughes' wrestling is better suited for MMA then Koscheck's is and despite popular belief Koscheck was not undefeated in college and in fact was only champion for one year if i remember correctly. and even with his collegiate accolades GSP showed him that it is how well your wrestling correlates with MMA not just your credentials that matter. and in that regard i see Hughes having the upper hand. i say Hughes by UD/SD.
CactusBob
3/5/08 5:02:23PM
People are counting Hughes out? I am not even a fan of Hughes, but he is an accomplished fighter. He lost recently to GSP (a phenominal fighter) and was losing to Penn before pulling out the win (another phenominal fighter). Hughes also had what some called a lackluster performance against Lytle, who doesn't get the credit he deserves and is also a talented fighter. I think Hughes might take it to Kos and possibly pull out the win. Hughes does very well against other grapplers, and Kos isn't about to submit him or knock him out. This could be a prime example of youth and speed vs old age and treachery, and I think the ol' man could put a whoopin' on Kos.
Twenty20Dollars
3/5/08 5:47:52PM
But koscheck's stand up is getting better everytime and would win in that area. and the only person i've seen stop that bull rush takedown which is gsp(which was amazing by GSP). I think kos could win standing and get a takedown if he needed.
That's just the way I see it. But i dont think this fight will even happen.
emfleek
3/5/08 5:53:29PM

But koscheck's stand up is getting better everytime and would win in that area. and the only person i've seen stop that bull rush takedown which is gsp(which was amazing by GSP). I think kos could win standing and get a takedown if he needed.
That's just the way I see it. But i dont think this fight will even happen.

The standup game would have no effect on Hughes. He wouldn't let it stay standing.

I think Hughes would overpower Kos, get on top and pound him.

But...like you said, I doubt it ever happens.
Boo_Radley21
3/5/08 5:53:36PM
Hughes would win.
Pookie
3/5/08 6:43:33PM
Right now hughes, but give koscheck a year and i think he would take it.
NatedawgThaM
3/5/08 7:13:37PM
Kos will embarrass him. Al Hughes can do is wrestle and Kos is twice the wrestler since he's younger and more explosive and maybe even stronger. Matt Hughes will never beat another top 10 again besides maybe Thiago Alves or Marcus Davis by GNP.

Kos by domination.
richieb19
3/5/08 7:19:28PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Hughes would win.

...and rather easily at that!
mkiv9secsupra
3/5/08 7:31:17PM

But koscheck's stand up is getting better everytime and would win in that area.

Upgrading from SUCK doesnt mean he is a great striker. His striking was very very very poor before TUF. Did you see the Hazelett fight, Hazelett isnt a great striker and he was landing stuff at will? Now he is at a mediocre level. Hughes is at the same level just with more experience.

There's no real way to tell who has the better wrestling at this point other than a match. But at this point id say Hughes would be too powerful and hold him on his back and GnP to a decision with nothing significant happening from either fighter through the whole fight (borefest).

I want Diego to get his rematch and beat him this time!
mrsmiley
3/5/08 9:46:12PM

Posted by roger

SmileR
3/5/08 11:15:25PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Hughes would win.

...and rather easily at that!

I'll second this!
gartface
3/6/08 2:23:37AM
Maybe Mark Hughes.
Jipper
3/6/08 4:42:49AM
I think you got that bASS aAckwards my friend.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/6/08 11:42:59AM

Posted by roger

100% agree, KOS would win, but its hard not seeing Hughes win a round.....hell maybe even two
winner would most likely take a SD IMO
great fight....hope it happens instead of KOS-Diego II
silverbullet
3/6/08 1:00:10PM
Koscheck is a bigger, stronger, and more accomplished wrestler than Hughes. Hughes relies on his wrestling 100%. This is ultimate mismatch for him, and Kos takes this one easily.

Hughes will have a much better chance against Sanchez, but Sanchez has a good chance of beating Kos IMO. Go figure.

EDIT GSP wiped the floor with Hughes twice, but he didn't even come close to finishing Koscheck besides one shoulder-lock attempt. Enough said.
Jackelope
3/6/08 4:19:57PM
LOL @ Koscheck being bigger and stronger than Hughes
Gipper
3/6/08 4:30:26PM
hughes would submitt kos's ass
gartface
3/6/08 5:25:17PM

Posted by silverbullet

EDIT GSP wiped the floor with Hughes twice, but he didn't even come close to finishing Koscheck besides one shoulder-lock attempt. Enough said.

Good MMAth...
Rush
3/6/08 5:52:43PM
I'm thinking Hughes by cut (tko) in the first or second round or Koscheck by decision.
mkiv9secsupra
3/6/08 6:03:58PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by silverbullet

Good MMAth...

????Liddell>Silva>Rampage???? so Liddell>Rampage?????
bls1919
3/6/08 9:55:24PM
I'm not sure how to awnser the ? I dont think that Kos wil embarass hughes if they fight but hughes better bring more than he brouhgt to the GSP fight or it WILL BE MORE OF THE SAME
Daddyprimetime
3/7/08 12:40:42AM
This would be a great fight, but I really see Hughes taking Koscheck to the ground and winning by GnP or a sub. Hughes is way ahead of Koscheck. Just because GSP can beat Hughes doesn't mean the entire WW division can.
silverbullet
3/7/08 3:07:52PM

Posted by Jackelope

have you looked at their wrestling credentials before making an ass of yourself?
d_block07
3/7/08 3:49:30PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Jackelope

have you looked at their wrestling credentials before making an ass of yourself?

wrestling credentials dont mean sh*t. How about looking at the MMA credentails. Hughes would win by submission round one. He is WAY stronger than Kos and his BJJ is ahead of him by miles. hughes would pass guard with ease and win by kimura or armlock.
jiujitsufreak74
3/7/08 3:52:04PM
imo Hughes utilizes his wrestling way better then Koscheck utilizes his. in MMA it is all about utilization and i believe Matt has the upper hand in that department and i see him coming out on top
hippysmacker
3/7/08 4:25:24PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Jackelope

I am sure you are capable of having a intelligent discussion without insulting people. I have seen you do it, so avoid the petty cracks. Anyway, I would take Hughes if he wanted to take this fight. The problem for me, and I admit to not being a big Kos fan, is the way he went about this. Everything that I have heard/read that has come from Hughes has been about a retirement, or a last fight with Serra. He already has the animosity built up from the TUF season for that, and I think he would be properly motivated by it. Kos calling him out , knowing these things, seems to be la tad lacking in class. This is just grandstanding, and hoping to make a name for himself IMO. This is the equivalent of Trevor Berbick calling Ali out of retirement. Only Hughes has no money problems, and I doubt he really cares what Kos or anyone else thinks. If Hughes had called out Kos, I would definitely pick Hughes, as i will take a motivated Hughes over Kos any day . So why they are both a bit free with their words, at least Hughes has earned the right for his opinion to carry some weight with a lot of people to me. Kos has never even had a title shot , let alone been a long time legendary champion, and I think he is only doing this becuase he beleive's Hughes is unmotivated to fight him. Whether he thinks he would beat a unmotivated Hughes, or whether he thinks Hughes isn't motivated enough to take up the challenge, it just looks like grandstanding to me. Challenging someone that you have to know is highly unlikely to fight anyone after Serra just seems a bit uncool. So I hope Sanchez gets his rematch with Kos , without the staph infection to slow him down, and taps him out.
BlazinSaddle
3/7/08 6:05:08PM
the short answer is yes he would
Pages: [1] 2