Kongo/Meathead Scoring

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Kongo/Meathead Scoring
Kpro
10/30/11 4:01:47PM
I didn't think anything of it at the time because Kongo clearly took the fight after the impressive final round. But initial reactions had some thinking maybe a Split Decision possibly or something along those lines for Kongo as Meathead was the one moving forward for the first ten minutes.

Thinking back on the scoring.... if Meathead had done `exactly` what Kongo did in that third round. Took Kongo down a few times held him there, dropped some ground and pound, cut him up. The fight would've been a Split Draw (29-28 Kongo, 29-28 Mitrione, 29-29 Draw).

Obviously this is a hypothetical thread, so what if Mitrione had the dominant third, do you think that fight should've then been a Draw as it would've been?

I guess the real question is, going into the third, did you see it as Mitrione had to finish Kongo or he wasn't going to win?
DeadHead988
10/30/11 4:09:53PM
I don't understand why everybody's upset, I thought it was pretty clear that Kongo won the fight. 30-27 might have been a little questionable, but the right guy won either way.
Kpro
10/30/11 4:15:07PM

Posted by DeadHead988

I don't understand why everybody's upset, I thought it was pretty clear that Kongo won the fight. 30-27 might have been a little questionable, but the right guy won either way.

Smoking today? No one I've seen is upset and as I said it's clear Kongo won the fight. It's a hypothetical question thread; nothing to do with how the actual third round went down.

The question is, after 10 minutes, did you think Mitrione had to get a finish to win heading into the third round?
kopower
10/30/11 5:05:04PM
As always with these types of threads, I would have to watch the fight again. Round 1 I thought was 10-10. I suppose one could make an argument for Mitrione pushing forward to secure a 10-9.

Round two could have gone either way in my opinion. Mitrione again pushing forward, but Kongo landing more meaningful strikes. I believe he secured a takedown and did some damage if Im not mistaken.

3rd all Kongo.

So depending how you would score the first, I guess Matt would have had to finish.
hashyandy4
10/30/11 5:30:09PM
No, i didnt think Mitrione had 2 get a finish at all. If he won the last round, to me he would have won the fight. I actually scored the fight 29-29 Draw. The first round i scored 10-10, 2nd round 10-9 Meathead, and 3rd round 10-9 Kongo.
DeadHead988
10/30/11 5:52:16PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by DeadHead988

Smoking today? No one I've seen is upset and as I said it's clear Kongo won the fight. It's a hypothetical question thread; nothing to do with how the actual third round went down.

The question is, after 10 minutes, did you think Mitrione had to get a finish to win heading into the third round?

I don't think Mitrione needed a finish, but he did need to have a fairly dominating round. I thought Kongo really found his rhythm towards the end of the first round when he started landing those leg kicks, that could explain why some of the judges scored it for him.
tcunningham
10/31/11 12:08:07AM
i had meathead winning round 1, then congo winning rounds 2 & 3. this fight took way to long to get over. that 1st round was like watching paint dry. good for congo though
tn_rebel
10/31/11 2:19:20AM

Posted by kopower

As always with these types of threads, I would have to watch the fight again. Round 1 I thought was 10-10. I suppose one could make an argument for Mitrione pushing forward to secure a 10-9.

Round two could have gone either way in my opinion. Mitrione again pushing forward, but Kongo landing more meaningful strikes. I believe he secured a takedown and did some damage if Im not mistaken.

3rd all Kongo.

So depending how you would score the first, I guess Matt would have had to finish.

I scored the first round 0-0
bjj1605
10/31/11 12:54:27PM

Posted by hashyandy4

No, i didnt think Mitrione had 2 get a finish at all. If he won the last round, to me he would have won the fight. I actually scored the fight 29-29 Draw. The first round i scored 10-10, 2nd round 10-9 Meathead, and 3rd round 10-9 Kongo.

I agree. You can't give either guy the first round. I think Mitrione edged the second. Kongo definitely won the third, but no 10-8. That makes it 29-29 or 30-28 if you gave Kongo round 2.
bjj1605
10/31/11 12:55:49PM

Posted by tn_rebel

I scored the first round 0-0

haha. I've gotta props you for this. I actually said the same thing while I was watching the fight.
Aether
10/31/11 2:26:11PM
at the time of the fight I would've scored it a draw. Admittedly, my stream was not the best quality, so I can't make a judgement confidently, I would need to re-watch a good quality version of the fight to see what strikes were landing and which weren't.

Based off of my initial viewing I thought that the first round was 10-10, and I thought that the judges would score it in Mitrione's favour, because there was about 1 punch thrown and mitrione was moving forward, which should be octagon control, even if he did nothing with it.

I thought Mitrione won the second, he was backing Kongo into the fence and landing shots when kongo went to circle out, while blocking the majority of kongo's offence.

Kongo obviously won the third.

Again, I would have to see a better quality video of the fight to say with confidence, maybe a lot of shots that look like they landed on a blurry stream were actually near misses.