Will Kongo VS Herring be a terrible fight? Also POLL who wins and how?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Will Kongo VS Herring be a terrible fight? Also POLL who wins and how?
Next Page »
POLL: WHO WINS AND HOW?
KONGO KO/TKO 22% (21)
HERRING KO/TKO 14% (13)
KONGO SUBMISSION 1% (1)
HERRING SUBMISSION 17% (16)
KONGO DECISION 26% (24)
HERRING DECISION 20% (19)
CornishMMA
2/27/08 8:08:55AM
Ive just seen and heard alot of people hating on this fight, like its going to be boring LnP fight from Herring, maybe people havnt realised but Kongo has fast strikes with crazy straights and crazy kicks, i am worried about takedowns but think he will have an improved sprawl AND Herring wont be trrying for many takedowns imo

Kongo is an exciting fighter so im not sure why some people want this as a prelim?!? his flurries on Silva were quality, and his domination over the late Aldana (RIP) and Wellsich were very inpressive, not to mention his win over Cro Cop!
ToeZup
2/27/08 8:50:46AM
I'm going to go with Kongo by TKO.
Herring hasn't faced a striker like Kongo in a little while. Herring's chin is pretty good so I wouldn't look for a KO but I see the ref stopping this when Herring is curled up.

If Heath was smart he would take this fight to the ground and stay there. Borring but effective.
I'm sure Kongo will be ready for that. He is also showing signs of improvement on the ground as well.

It's going to be a great fight regardless and I can't wait to watch it.
NewGuy
2/27/08 9:34:25AM
I think Herring will weather Kongo early on in the fight and will get him to the ground eventually. Herring is a veteran fighter and should have a good game plan coming into this fight. He has the skills and ability to win this on the ground.

Herring has not utilized a submission in a while, but I think this a great fight for him to get a submission win. I have him winning by submission in round three. I do think this is going to be a fun fight to watch.
StevenSeagal
2/27/08 9:47:48AM
I was suprised when I saw the Silva Hendo promo thing on Spike that Herring didnt really take his diet that seriously in the past... Made me question his dedication and overall smartness. Also the whole "down home" training with some pals from your local gym is not the most efficient. I know Herring made a switch and watched his diet and got some good training partners for this bout, but for me it seems a little late. Seeing this on Spike made me justify the reasoning that Heath never really progressed leaps and bounds in my eyes... I see the same Heath each fight... I donno if its the cowboy hat down home ignorance or what, but If I was in the UFC and was that big and had shots at the title, Id be analyzing each meal that went in my body, each sparring partner that entered my circle... Just my opinion...

Kongo on the otherhand, Naturally looks like a beast... Sure his ground game is suspect but his mental drive seems to be at a different level than Herring's. Plus Kongo is training with the big boys off the bat, not some french homies from his old neighborhood... I can see Kongo getting better and better... gotta start somewhere and so far hes done a nice job...

Kongo rd 3 KO or UD
mrliquid
2/27/08 10:29:46AM
I like Heath on this one he is training his ass off for this fight his cardio is going to be awsome its probably the first fight your really gonna see him in any kind of shape and I heard he was training with a new boxing coach but not sure.
CactusBob
2/27/08 11:11:08AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Herring wont be trrying for many takedowns imo

I can get a source if you like, but I recall Herring said something to the effect of Kongo has no ground game, and he will walk over to Kongo and take him down early and often.

Also, Herring looks in much better shape for this fight. I won't make any big predictions just yet, but maybe we will see a new Heath Herring.
StevenSeagal
2/27/08 12:03:15PM

Posted by CactusBob

Posted by CornishMMA

Herring wont be trrying for many takedowns imo

I can get a source if you like, but I recall Herring said something to the effect of Kongo has no ground game, and he will walk over to Kongo and take him down early and often.

Also, Herring looks in much better shape for this fight. I won't make any big predictions just yet, but maybe we will see a new Heath Herring.

Well you have until Saturday to get your predictions in lol...
Silent-Sir
2/27/08 12:08:50PM
I get the feeling we're going to be in for one hell of a slugfest. I'm picking Kongo by unanimous decision.
Franklinfan47
2/27/08 12:18:12PM

Herring will probably go for submissions, but I see most of the fight primarily on the feet. Kongo by UD.
mkiv9secsupra
2/27/08 12:49:16PM
Wow i see the Kongo bandwagon has grown just like GG's when he beat crocop......

Herring has the chin to just rush in a put Kongo on his back where Kongo has no real offense or defense. The first round Herring sizes Kongo up. Second round Herring GnP's Kongo to a stoppage. Herring improves constantly as we saw in the Nogueira fight. Kongo is a kickboxer and nothing more.
Jackelope
2/27/08 1:25:39PM
Herring is going to expose Kongo for what he really is, IMO. He's slid by with some strange incidents in his matchups. Kongo has never impressed me, and he's talked a lot of shit along the way. Herring is a tough son of a bitch. He's going to bring the fight to Kongo. Kongo better be ready to get pounded out on the ground.
Kastro
2/27/08 1:51:43PM
A lot of people think this is going to be a slugfest, and although I hope it is my experience with watching MMA tells me it is going to be a boring, lengthy fight with little action...

Both guys are very big HW's, Herring has a tough chin and is hard to knock out yet he is known for being conservative and holding back sometimes.. Kongo has good striking, is not that aggressive, and has absolutely no ground game..

I see this fight going to a decision and Kongo winning by UD, however if Herring comes in the octagon and takes Kongo down and implements some ground and pound and works for submissions then I see Herring winning... it all depends on what he wants to do, to say the least I have not been impressed with Herrings last fights he has the potential to win yet lets opportunities pass him by... hopefully he learned from the Noguiera fight.

Also, I find it hilarious how Dana White said in the countdown to UFC show this week how this is going to be a "spectacular standup slugfest" I mean of course he has gotta hype up the fights and make them seem interesting, but I seriously think this is going to be a boring fight.. Kongo will be cautious on the feet to avoid being taken down, while Herring will probably stick and move respecting Kongo's striking abilities possibly cautious himself of going in for the takedown and eating a knee strike from Kongo...

I hope im wrong and it is a good exciting fight, but I just dont see it happening... guess we will find out in a few days :D
Mastodon2
2/27/08 2:06:08PM
I think Herring will win by a GnP stoppage. He isn't daft enough to try and stand with Kongo, he has no need to seeing as Kongo's take down defence and ground game is so poor. Herring is a big, strong wrestler. If he has half a brain, he will put Kongo on his and keep him there until Kongo is out. Perhaps not the most exciting fight of all time mind, but Herring is a bad match up for Kongo.
woodmo
2/27/08 4:12:14PM
I think a lot of what people think is gonna happen is because they have not seen any of Herrings fights from his Pride days. A lot of peoples first impressions of the guy were the O'Brian (I think) fight where he was repeatedly taken down and laid on for 3 rounds.

I think a savvy Herring takes this one in a brutal stoppage on the ground, unless it is a Kongo DQ from getting kneed in the balls too many times.
jiujitsufreak74
2/27/08 4:18:01PM
i see herring wising up and scoring the takedown. his ground game is light years past kongo's ground game. i just believe that herring is the more experienced of the two, has faced better competition, and the experience disparity will show as herring gets back on track with a "high profile" win over kongo.

btw cornish, i have a suggestion for the poles. i think that you should have the top three choices be all one fighter and the bottom three the other. that way we have a better view to see how the people on this topic feel about the fight as it is easier on the eyes to see who is ahead overall. just a suggestion
chuteboxe75
2/27/08 4:24:41PM
When I saw my first Pride event, Heath Herring really impressed me with his skills. I thought that he had a huge future in MMA. Then comes the dissolution of Pride and Herring comes over to the UFC and does not showcase the skills that he displayed in Pride. If he's able to get back to the form he was in in the Pride events I see him taking out Kongo on the ground with a submission or fierce GNP. He's a Corr Hammers trained kickboxer in the Dutch style and I think that Kongos standup will not be enough to take him out on the feet. Look for Herring to win if he comes in in shape.
BlazinSaddle
2/27/08 4:57:44PM
herring's chin > kongo's chin

not that that will dictate the outcome but herring is more likely to get a (t)ko in my book, kongo's gas tank is questionable as well (Watch Link)

Gilbert Yvel vs Cheick Kongo
gartface
2/27/08 5:30:39PM
Kongo will get exposed!! Herring will take him down late in the first or in the second round, and armbar Kongo. I don't believe Herring will stand with Kongo, so he won't get kneed in the nuts.
bls1919
2/27/08 9:28:23PM
I really dont see this fight going to a layn pray situation. I see Kongo getting off on some good strikes whick in turn will fuel herrings thought thast he is good on his feet anfd it is going to be a long 7 to 8 mins. for herring. Kongo by TKO knees
Pookie
2/27/08 9:32:44PM
I think anyone who's choosing kongo to win by tko is being silly.
gartface
2/27/08 9:39:12PM

Posted by Pookie

Thank you, Herring's got too good of a chin, and what from what Kongo has shown in the last 2 fights, his strikes haven't been very powerful.
hathcock32
2/28/08 12:38:49AM
Kongo is a monster. Juanito has him looking great. Rampage has been quoted saying he gets dominated by Kongo in practice (his kicks are lethal). Im sure training with these guys his TD and overall ground game will be a lot better. I look for Kongo to run through Herring on his way to the title before the year is out.
candynuts
2/28/08 12:53:22AM
"Cup" Cheick can definately strike, but Herring is sooooooo tough to finish. He's only really been finished by TKO by Cro Cop (2 fights due to cut, and 1 due to knee injury).
He's only been actually submitted once (other by exhaustion) by NOG.

Damn I swear if they allowed knees to the ground Heath Herring would be a FORCE.

"Cup" will definately have his hands full and vice versa. I eventually have the fight on the ground and there Heath can pound him out for a bit and try some submissions, but I think Kongo will mearly just try to survive on the ground.
I see a Decision win for Heath.
loonytnt
2/28/08 2:59:37AM
kongo will give you a good show i think, herring is not going to want and stand with him tho
Jackelope
2/28/08 3:58:10AM
this thread has got me thinking about how people say "You're only as good as your last fight". Honestly I am really surprised to see Kongo being the favorite here.
CornishMMA
2/28/08 5:55:36AM
Well dont be surprised bud cos Herring the favourites with picks and has worse odds

Posted by Pookie

But TKO means DnS, doesnt have to rock him with a shot to the jaw, im talking leg and body kicks wearing him down, like CC did

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

btw cornish, i have a suggestion for the poles. i think that you should have the top three choices be all one fighter and the bottom three the other. that way we have a better view to see how the people on this topic feel about the fight as it is easier on the eyes to see who is ahead overall. just a suggestion

Yeah dude i thought the same thing, the only reason i didnt do it that way was it looked kinda biased with the fighter at the top being favoured, but yeah maybe i will just do it alphabetically, good call

Im not on a Kongo bandwagon after the CC fight, i kinda was before the fight despite not picking him to beat CC, i was just so impressed with his other wins when standing its all him, i think its amazing that a guy with "absolutely no ground game" managed to escape that tight armbar from a BJJ ace like Wellisch

By the way at the commentary on the Kongo Yvel fight, thats embarrasing for me as an englishman, why is he calling him "Kango"?!?!?
chuteboxe75
2/28/08 10:05:28AM
Coming off of 2 losses. Heath is really going to push to win this one just to stay in the UFC. After watching the Countdown on Spike the other night it looks like his training has been stepped up. Heath has always had excellent skills but as he said his conditioning has been suspect. Now he has fixed that hole in his game and sharpened his striking with Rob Kaman, I might be thinking that Heath wont mind standing with Kongo get him comfortable in the fight and then swoop in for a TD and pound out a win or throw a quick sub on him to end the fight.
CornishMMA
2/28/08 10:22:01AM

Posted by chuteboxe75

Coming off of 2 losses. Heath is really going to push to win this one just to stay in the UFC. After watching the Countdown on Spike the other night it looks like his training has been stepped up. Heath has always had excellent skills but as he said his conditioning has been suspect. Now he has fixed that hole in his game and sharpened his striking with Rob Kaman, I might be thinking that Heath wont mind standing with Kongo get him comfortable in the fight and then swoop in for a TD and pound out a win or throw a quick sub on him to end the fight.

Heath is only coming off 1 loss actually, he beat Brad "gogo" Imes after his debut loss to Jake
iwannabesedated
2/28/08 3:48:29PM
Well i had Herring Picked to win for the longest time..Then i thought about it Kongo is Huge and isnt that easy to take down.Kongo outstruck Cro Cop and Cro Cop made Herring look like a fool in their fight..and after seeing Kongo train i had to switch so im going with Kongo..
NatedawgThaM
2/28/08 4:35:36PM
I think Herring is going to make him look stupid. He's training with an excellent Kickboxer so he'll definitely give Kongo hell on the feet and we all know Herring's ground game is lightyears beyong Kongo's. Watch Kongo vs Carmello. He took Kongo down at WILL, like anytime he wanted to. It was complete domination.

Herring by decision or late sub or TKO.
Pages: [1] 2