Ok! Who knows computers? NO REALLY?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Ok! Who knows computers? NO REALLY?
RampageOwnedYou
11/2/08 9:00:45PM
OK Here is my situation.

I am moving at the end of the month. I was expecting to be paying for internet, as im renting a downstairs apartment of a house.
But after talking to the guy and his wife, who will be above me. They said I could use my wireless D-LINK. In order to save me 40-50 bucks a month. Which i wasnt expecting.

That I forgot, I like to use my XBOX 360 online.

So am i f'd and need to get my own internet, so i can plug in my router to my xbox....or is there a way around this? I am needing to plug something, but im not to sure how it works..seeing how there modem will be upstairs...

I know my stuff, but im basic. I was in hopes someone could help me out, so i dont have to stress out about this, and ask people at work.

If anyone could help me out, it would help alot.

thanks
MALICE
11/2/08 9:14:33PM
Wireless Network Adapter

This is one option since you will be saving money anyway.
grappler0000
11/2/08 9:22:02PM
You can get a wireless adapter for your 360. The easiest way is buying a xbox brand adapter, but it will come at a cost...something like a hundred bucks. There are other adapters that should be compatible with the 360, but you'd have to google it to find out specific brands and models. Your last option would be to use your router (if compatible) as a bridge to the other access point, but I wouldn't recommend this unless you are knowledgeable enough to set it up.
RampageOwnedYou
11/2/08 9:25:43PM
Ok so if i am using THEIR internet with my D-Link. How easy is it going to be to set it up with the XBOX adapter? Is it as simple as plugging it in to my xbox and im good to go? Or am i needing to do something else, once i plug it in?

I just dont want have to be contacting the people above me everytime...i want to throw on the xbox...

bojangalz
11/2/08 9:50:14PM
You're going to want to make sure that you've got full signal strength with that network before you spring the cash for the xbox adapter....If the signal strength is shit, you'll hate your gaming experience and may not even stay connected to xbox live.

Also, you want to know what kind of wireless network they have:

Wireless networks are either 802.11 a, b, or g. If they have 802.11 a, you will have a very hard time getting full signal strength through more than a wall or two. 802.11 g has the highest bit rate (great for gaming), but the shortest range. "b" is right in between. The wireless adapter works with all of the different networks, but you'll want to make sure you test the signal strength at the very spot where the xbox will be set up to make sure you'll have enough strenght to push the games.
RampageOwnedYou
11/2/08 9:54:04PM
Well I believe they have cable for internet.
Im the one with the wirless stuff.
I got a d-link
I currently use it where I am, and it works great.

So I just prey i can get a good signal.

So once I get this xbox adapter.
What will i require to get it working from their end?
Should i just be good to go?
Rush
11/2/08 10:28:14PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Unless they have a firewall and security measures in play, it should be pretty much plug and play.
RampageOwnedYou
11/2/08 10:30:47PM
thx for the help, props have been sent
grappler0000
11/2/08 10:55:13PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Well I believe they have cable for internet.
Im the one with the wirless stuff.
I got a d-link
I currently use it where I am, and it works great.

So I just prey i can get a good signal.

After re-reading, it sounds like your router is the only one involved? If so, it should be a pretty easy setup, but may involve some settings changes. If you've never set up a wireless network, you may have to do a little reading up on the matter. The network cable coming from modem needs to go to the LAN port on your router. Your housemate's network cable can be plugged into one any of the switch ports. As long as your router is setup to automatically retrieve an IP, an internet connection should be made automatically.

I believe wireless is enabled on D-Links by default, but if not, you will need to configure the settings via the wired computer. The default UN and PW for D-Link should be "admin" and "" (blank) respectively...I don't recall the default IP for D-Link routers off hand, so you will have to google it if needed. Once you have the wireless adapter connected on your x-box, go to network settings and set your wireless settings. If you go to select a wireless network, you will see any wireless networks that are broadcasting an SSID (basically just a network name) in your immediate area. Select yours...should be D-Link or something of the sort. You should be connected at this point. After you've established a connection, I would highly recommend setting up wireless security...I'm sure there are guides available on the internet if you don't know how, but it's not too difficult.

You may see two wireless networks available if you have a dual band router (i.e. a router that supports both 802.11a and 802.11g). In this situation, G would probably be the best option since A may not give you enough signal strength.

Edit: oh yeah, and change your router PW from the default before you're done as well
grappler0000
11/2/08 11:07:56PM
Also, something to keep in mind is that your 360 is much more than just a gaming system. I have one, but play very few games. It can also be used as a Media Center Extender for any computer with Windows Media Center on it (Vista or XP Media Center Edition). There's also some pretty nifty software out there called TVersity that allows you to play any video filetype through it (since Bill Gates likes to limit that sort of thing with his products). Essentially, I use my laptop as a media server and can play any video that's on my laptop through my network to my 360 and onto my TV...all wirelessly and controlled on my TV with my 360 remote. It's pretty slick, but that conversation is for another day.
RampageOwnedYou
11/2/08 11:20:40PM
wow thats alot of knowledge...thanks.

I guess another worry, I had was if I was running all this through my d-link from their server. Wouldnt it slow their internet down, if im playing games and they are trying to use the internet?

The more I think about it, i might just bite the bullet and get the net myself.
Last thing i would want is them bitching to me about slow internet.
I appreciate the advice, something to look into for sure down the road.
ohiostate1016
11/3/08 11:31:09AM
Since you guys seem pretty knowledgeable about computers, I have a question for you as well.

I downloaded Firefox about a year ago. After that, I stopped using IE (it sucks). The thing is, the internet in most other programs can only be run through IE. One day, I noticed that my IE wasn't working. About the same time, I realized that I couldn't connect to the iTunes store in the iTunes program (it requires internet, and my IE wasn't working for some reason.

Thankfully, Firefox still had access to the internet. But I got tired of not being able to connect to the iTunes store, so I set out to try to find a way to fix my IE connection problem. I got the bright idea from Yahoo Answers that uninstalling Firefox would make IE work. Yeah...not so much.

So then, I was without internet access at all. Luckily, I still had the Limewire program installed on my computer. Still internet access on this program, and I am currently connected to the internet via Limewore, if you can believe that.

I've tried pretty much every solution that I could find. I deleted and reinstalled Winsocks, I restored my computer, and I did a bunch of other things that I can't even remember.

The most common solution that I found is that Norton (even if uninstalled and still on your comp) can block a browser's access to the internet. I just found a tool that completely deletes Norton from a comp (supposedly), and I hope that works. If not, then I'm at a loss again.

Do any of you have any ideas on what my problem is or a possible solution? I really don't want to have to deal with pompous IT guys (no offense), but I guess that doing this and that are my only 2 options left.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
grappler0000
11/3/08 12:17:28PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Since you guys seem pretty knowledgeable about computers, I have a question for you as well.

I downloaded Firefox about a year ago. After that, I stopped using IE (it sucks). The thing is, the internet in most other programs can only be run through IE. One day, I noticed that my IE wasn't working. About the same time, I realized that I couldn't connect to the iTunes store in the iTunes program (it requires internet, and my IE wasn't working for some reason.

Thankfully, Firefox still had access to the internet. But I got tired of not being able to connect to the iTunes store, so I set out to try to find a way to fix my IE connection problem. I got the bright idea from Yahoo Answers that uninstalling Firefox would make IE work. Yeah...not so much.

So then, I was without internet access at all. Luckily, I still had the Limewire program installed on my computer. Still internet access on this program, and I am currently connected to the internet via Limewore, if you can believe that.

I've tried pretty much every solution that I could find. I deleted and reinstalled Winsocks, I restored my computer, and I did a bunch of other things that I can't even remember.

The most common solution that I found is that Norton (even if uninstalled and still on your comp) can block a browser's access to the internet. I just found a tool that completely deletes Norton from a comp (supposedly), and I hope that works. If not, then I'm at a loss again.

Do any of you have any ideas on what my problem is or a possible solution? I really don't want to have to deal with pompous IT guys (no offense), but I guess that doing this and that are my only 2 options left.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

When you say it doesn't work, could you elaborate?

Have you tried resinstalling IE? If that didn't work, then how about upgrading or downgrading to a different version?