Anyone know a good betting game for groups?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Anyone know a good betting game for groups?
romanarlovski
7/6/10 8:04:05PM
Hey,
My buddies and I were talking about developing or finding a system for betting in a group fashion. Basically right now we all pick our winners for the matches and whoever tallies the most wins by the end of the card wins the pool of money.

Our problem was this; One guy guessed the first 3 fights correctly (main card) and the rest of us only had 1 or less meaning the one dude automatically won already!

I'm wondering if there is a pool game on here with a simple points system? For example you choose they way the win is, the round it stops, and the fighter and they are all different points. One thing that is important is that I'm looking for a game that can still include the folks who didn't pick the right winner too. If not a variation that can be competitive with a small amount of people.
ncordless
7/6/10 9:19:29PM
You can start a camp on this site and invite your friends. Your camp page will give you your rankings per event and overall, so you guys could create any number of scoring and/or prize systems.
romanarlovski
7/7/10 12:15:41AM

Posted by ncordless

You can start a camp on this site and invite your friends. Your camp page will give you your rankings per event and overall, so you guys could create any number of scoring and/or prize systems.

Well those guys won't be into that. It is more of a game for whoever shows up to the PPV. We need a game so whoever shows up can play and follow easy rules.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/7/10 1:09:22AM
You could print out a screen from your picks page and have them fill in their own blanks?

Generally, the idea is to pick the winner. Any other way of betting is getting more complicated than what I think you're shooting for in a simple game. I mean, there's spread betting and such, but because there's no points for the fighters to score, per se, it makes things more complicated. Flat out, if they don't pick the right person, they shouldn't get the points. It's a 50/50 deal already, it doesn't get much simpler than that.

I'd print out several blank copies of your picks before you make them for an event and allow your friends to circle names and finishes. If you want you can print out a blank fight companion and have them write it in.

Or, the simplest idea, have them join this site, make their picks, print it out and bring it over. :D
jae_1833
7/7/10 1:14:51AM
I have done that in the past and re-invented the scoring system for non-hardcore guys. Basically known fighter/fights are worth more then you just do the MMAMath and come up with a winner.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/7/10 1:28:26AM

Posted by jae_1833

I have done that in the past and re-invented the scoring system for non-hardcore guys. Basically known fighter/fights are worth more then you just do the MMAMath and come up with a winner.

I can see how you'd get there, but that could actually make it more complicated. There's two schools of thought you could look at that from:

School Of Thought A: This actually swings the advantage to the hardcore fan because if they already have substantial knowledge about the lesser known fighters than this advantage will increase with the more well known fighters.

School Of Thought B: This makes the game more complicated because those of us that analyze the hell out of these fights tend to over think the outcome instead of going with Occam's Razor. Plus, who's to say what a more "well known fighter" would actually be.

Either way, I think the 50/50 approach is the simplest. Any way you assign the points, the result is still 50/50 on the pick. A person with a substantial amount of knowledge could wind up cleaning absolute house because you've assigned a greater point total to the fights that you think feature the more exposed fighters, or they could wind up doing really poorly because they over thought the outcome. Either way, it's still 50/50. If you're going to do that, just leave the un-aired prelims off the list of available picks and have people choose from the "more well known" fighters that will be featured on the main card.
romanarlovski
7/7/10 12:09:43PM

Posted by jae_1833

Can you explain your scoring system. I would say about 90% of the people are "non-hardcore" guys.
Rabi
7/7/10 12:29:28PM
Here is a simple idea, which should hopefully keep it goint till the end of the night.

If you just pick the main card fights ( there are normally 5). Its fair to say in most cases the earlier the fight is on the card its not normally as big as the fights near the end of the card eg co main event and main event are the last 2 fights.

So you get each person to pick a winner from each fight ( 5 fights) before the event starts.

If you get the first fight right you get 1 pt, the second fight 2pts etc up to the main event 5 pts.

That way if one person gets the first 2 right and the third one wrong and another person gets the first 2 wrong and the third one right they are level on points going into the last 2 fights and it keeps everyone in with a chance right up to the end.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/7/10 12:39:21PM

Posted by Rabi

Here is a simple idea, which should hopefully keep it goint till the end of the night.

If you just pick the main card fights ( there are normally 5). Its fair to say in most cases the earlier the fight is on the card its not normally as big as the fights near the end of the card eg co main event and main event are the last 2 fights.

So you get each person to pick a winner from each fight ( 5 fights) before the event starts.

If you get the first fight right you get 1 pt, the second fight 2pts etc up to the main event 5 pts.

That way if one person gets the first 2 right and the third one wrong and another person gets the first 2 wrong and the third one right they are level on points going into the last 2 fights and it keeps everyone in with a chance right up to the end.

This works. Take Rabi's advice, he's the master of great fantasy games.
DCRage
7/7/10 12:55:08PM
Except MMAPG's, the one that really counts.
Rabi
7/7/10 1:08:50PM
Thanks BlueSkiesBurn
BlueSkiesBurn
7/7/10 1:21:26PM

Posted by DCRage

Except MMAPG's, the one that really counts.

We already tried that....we failed.
romanarlovski
7/7/10 2:11:07PM

Posted by Rabi

This is interesting but perhaps a little too simple. I'm wondering about a system that includes winners, way the win, and what round. The one tricky issue could be the decision win because it is both the way they win and I guess "the round" category.

I was thinking maybe the "decision" choice wouldn't actually count in both points categories, but not for the full amount. I guess no one has really come up with a game like this yet have they?
Maybe winner 2 points, type of win 4 points, round 4 points? Decision 3 points? I'm not sure....
DCRage
7/7/10 2:24:12PM
You could try UFC's official fantasy game, it has a scoring system kinda like that. No wagering though, only picks-you pick the fight winner, how they win, what round and what minute the fight ends in regardless of round.
jae_1833
7/8/10 6:58:13PM
To the non-hardcore guys I do this with we go like such....any prelim is worth 1 pt, any main card fight is worth 3 pts, if a fight includes Chuck, Rich, Forrest, Brock, Randy, Tito....you know....those kind of guys we rate them at 5 pts....how and when they win is not important...all enter the pot at $20 and the winner takes all, in case of a split the guys chose to either splitt the $ (if it's only 2 winners) or play 1 round of 5 card draw poker (3 pull limit) for the pot.....it's dumb but pretty cool and it's only had a 3 way tie once.