I need to know!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » I need to know!!!
cloud301336
2/7/08 6:21:17PM
all right i've been thinking about this allot. Do you have to have big hands to have knock out power.
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 6:24:08PM
cro cops hands arnt very big and he smashed bob sapps face, think he broke one/some of his face bone(s)
loonytnt
2/7/08 6:30:32PM
lol no you dont
cloud301336
2/7/08 6:36:14PM
alright thanks.
Mastodon2
2/7/08 6:37:37PM
Absolutely not.
Svartorm
2/8/08 2:09:58AM
Having STRONG hands seems to help, but size doesn't seem to factor in overly much, although a few knockout artists, like Pedro Rizzo and Igor Vochaycyn were known to have giant hands.
TimW001
2/8/08 2:51:25AM
I think Mike Tyson had small hands. I mean small compared to his arms.
jiujitsufreak74
2/8/08 3:27:22PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

cro cops hands arnt very big and he smashed bob sapps face, think he broke one/some of his face bone(s)

orbital bone and it made sapp cry.

to answer the question, no you don't necessarily need big hands to KO someone. big hands help for GnP, but smaller hands find a way to slip through the opponents guard and hit the buttons. as long as you have good form and speed on your punches size of your hands shouldn't matter. in physics terms, speed more dramatically influences the force rather than mass. so bigger isn't exactly better for it is the spped and technique of your punches that will bring a KO. plus, a smaller hand has less surface area to spread the impact and thus the damage is more sever on the targeted are and if you hit the right spot the opponent is going down. can't explain it more than that
cowcatcher
2/8/08 3:30:51PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by BlazinSaddle

to answer the question, no you don't necessarily need big hands to KO someone. big hands help for GnP, but smaller hands find a way to slip through the opponents guard and hit the buttons. as long as you have good form and speed on your punches size of your hands shouldn't matter. in physics terms, speed more dramatically influences the force rather than mass. so bigger isn't exactly better for it is the spped and technique of your punches that will bring a KO. plus, a smaller hand has less surface area to spread the impact and thus the damage is more sever on the targeted are and if you hit the right spot the opponent is going down. can't explain it more than that

tell that to fedors lesions after hong man choi hit him
jiujitsufreak74
2/8/08 3:40:25PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by BlazinSaddle

to answer the question, no you don't necessarily need big hands to KO someone. big hands help for GnP, but smaller hands find a way to slip through the opponents guard and hit the buttons. as long as you have good form and speed on your punches size of your hands shouldn't matter. in physics terms, speed more dramatically influences the force rather than mass. so bigger isn't exactly better for it is the speed and technique of your punches that will bring a KO. plus, a smaller hand has less surface area to spread the impact and thus the damage is more sever on the targeted are and if you hit the right spot the opponent is going down. can't explain it more than that

tell that to fedors lesions after hong man choi hit him

did they KO him? no they did not

choi is an outlier in this question because his hands are excessively big and make up for the lack of speed. speed influences force twice as much as mass does, but when you have that much mass it makes up for the speed. besides, his punches left so many bruises because of his 350lbs not so much because of the size of his hands. however, lesions don't always speak to KO power. because the force is spread out over such a large surface area the brunt of the damage causes more apparent lesions however smaller faster hands deliver more direct force and can do more damage in one specific spot which make them more dangerous if landed on a KO spot like the temple or chin.

also, as i alluded to, we sometimes make the correlation of hand size and power and then assume that hand size thus directly affects KO power. when in fact correlation does not prove causation. the reason for such correlation is that larger people tend to have larger hands, and since they have more mass to put behind their punches their power is greater than those of smaller fighters because the difference is speed isn't as glaring as the difference in their body's overall mass. thus, it is not hand size that causes KO power but rather that body size directly influences KO power with hand size being a correlation.

i guess i could explain it more
cowcatcher
2/8/08 3:47:10PM
i realized what you were saying, i just figured i throw that in because there is something to be said for big hands and the damage they can do.
bls1919
2/8/08 8:15:37PM
big hands equal big weight witch is a good thing for KO power, but a very well thrown punch hits harder than a sloppy heavy throw
jiujitsufreak74
2/8/08 9:08:24PM
the point i want to hammer home: it is not hand size that causes KO power but rather that body size directly influences KO power with hand size being a correlation. sums it up right there. hand size has virtually no effect on KO power imo, but it is in fact the size of the fighter that is the factor.
cowcatcher
2/8/08 9:12:51PM

the point i want to hammer home: it is not hand size that causes KO power but rather that body size directly influences KO power with hand size being a correlation. sums it up right there. hand size has virtually no effect on KO power imo, but it is in fact the size of the fighter that is the factor.

ive got to disagree man, there is definately something to be said for hand size and when youn hear that a guy is "heavy handed" many times he has large hands compared to his overall size. this isnt always true, and big hands=big ko power isnt the rule, but think of it this way, if you have 2 sledgehammers with different sized heads the bigger one will do more damage if both are swung by the same guy the same way. thats the best analogy i could come up with on the fly. im basically disagreeing with statement that hand size having virtually no effect on ko power because that makes little to no sense to me, everything else im fine with.
jiujitsufreak74
2/8/08 9:21:49PM

Posted by cowcatcher

ive got to disagree man, there is definately something to be said for hand size and when youn hear that a guy is "heavy handed" many times he has large hands compared to his overall size. this isnt always true, and big hands=big ko power isnt the rule, but think of it this way, if you have 2 sledgehammers with different sized heads the bigger one will do more damage if both are swung by the same guy the same way. thats the best analogy i could come up with on the fly. im basically disagreeing with statement that hand size having virtually no effect on ko power because that makes little to no sense to me, everything else im fine with.

i can see where you disagree and i guess that i am downplaying the effect of hand size a bit. however imo, for the most part, hand size isn't close to the top factor in terms of KO power, but rather mass of the fighter, speed of the punches and technique of the punches. i think a smaller hand can do more damage because the force is directed at a smaller surface area, but i can see how having big hands would have a slight impact. now thiker hands as in trms of density would have more of an impact than the actual size. i think that denser hands are what cause fighters to have heavy hands and not hand size. therefore i believe that denser, thicker hands play more of a role in KO power thatn just larger hands. again, there is a correlation between thick hands and large hands, but i feel a fighter with smaller, thicker hands has more KO power than tif he had larger, less dense hands
cowcatcher
2/8/08 9:25:58PM
hey man i think everything else you said was true and hand size is by no means the most important thing when it comes to ko power, but like you said, i think you may have downplayed it a little. a well thrown punch with a lot behind it will always be more effective than a sloppy big ol ham hock being tossed out there, and theres no arguing that.
CJsuperstar
2/10/08 8:34:42AM
Those of you who think that size (fist/ body/ whatever) is the only source of power, then you have been misled.

It is not the ONLY source of power because speed comes into the formula to measure power. And is a critical factor in the formula.

Check this documentary of Rampage Jackson:

[L=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYMX_3K_xE]
jiujitsufreak74
2/10/08 2:34:36PM

Posted by CJsuperstar

Those of you who think that size (fist/ body/ whatever) is the only source of power, then you have been misled.

It is not the ONLY source of power because speed comes into the formula to measure power. And is a critical factor in the formula.

Check this documentary of Rampage Jackson:

[L=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYMX_3K_xE]

i already made that argument....and i saw that fight science episode with rampage in my physics class because my teacher knows i am a MMA freak so he decided to use it as a lesson. i almost died out of shock