Knicks get Mike D'Antoni

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Knicks get Mike D'Antoni
komodo20
5/11/08 3:52:41PM
Knicks get Mike D'Antoni for head coach but how do you think the knicks will do with him with the type of all star players the suns have and the knicks don't have.
Kpro
5/11/08 3:59:11PM
I think it's absolutely possible for him to draw more wins out of that squad than Isaiah could; it's all about creating a winning atmosphere. If you believe you'll lose every game then you will, and I think their entire team is stuck in a funk, and it all begins with the lack of leadership, and overall bad attitudes by their star players.

My first move if I was manning the Knicks would be to get rid of Marbury in any way possible. You're not gonna trade him because nobody wants him but even buying out his final 22 mil next year would at least get rid of some of the cancer.

After that he needs to assess if the Curry/Randolph duo will ever be formidable enough defensively to be a contender; and if not, one of them needs to be moved for someone who can play some D.

Beyond that, I guess we'll see if he still believes the Run N Gun style is it or if he goes a different route and plays to his new players strengths. He's a good enough coach to turn it around, but the player situations there on paper are a recipe for failure.
The_Ho_Bag
5/11/08 4:45:38PM
Im a huge Knicks fan but i doubt you will see results this season or maybe next season due to the fact that they need to get rid of some players and they need to stop spending huge amounts of money on trash players.

EX:

Marbury- has talent no doubt but is a huge distraction for the team and is a selfish PG

Jerome James-had a great playoff SERIES w/ the sonics but why would the knicks sign him for 25-30 million over5 yrs? Just to warm the bench

Curry- I like him alot but he is not fulling the role as a center, very inconsistent center, he will have a great game then have 4 terrible games etc.

Q-rich- i like this guy alot hes a great shooter but very inconsistent as a shooter, he will have his break through every 9 games then go below avg for the next 8

Debate =]
Shawn91111
5/11/08 7:01:41PM
Living in NY I get to see the Knicks a lot and even though Im not a fan of them, I look at them and give and honest opinion.

Im not sure if D'Antoni is the right fit, it just seemed he was better suited for the Bulls and when the Knicks offered more money it was like 'ok sure why not'. Plus Walsh will give him more power as far as picking his coaches and such, more than Paxson would have with the Bulls.

D'Antoni is a players coach, not to many rules, doesnt get in your face very much, doesnt really preach hard nosed defense, which is why I thought either Rick Carlisle (sp) or Paul Silas (who got a bum rap in Cleveland) would have been a better fit. Yes Scott Skiles is also a in your face coach, but there is a reason Skiles moves on to other teams after a few years, because thats how long players and management can stand him.

The Knicks have so many weaknesses, defense being a big problem if Steph is back and starts that is 4 players on that court that have no idea how to play defense and thats giving Q-Rich the benefit of the doubt as far as D. Curry and Randolph have zero idea how to play defense and cannot co-exist. Neither can pass and Curry is one of the worst rebounders I have ever seen play.

There are some players on the Knicks that would fit into D'Antoni's run and gun system, David Lee, Q-Rich, Chandler, Crawford, but I think they should pray to god Derrick Rose or Bayless falls into their lap as far as the draft because the one reason D'Antoni's system ran so well in Phoenix is Steve Nash....Steph is no Nash.

I think D'Antoni is 33 wins away from 300, Id be surprised but not shocked if he gets that this upcoming year.
tberg420
5/11/08 7:14:05PM
The Knicks need a true point guard. The rest of your team doesn't have to be great. They just need someone that can control the pace and distribute the ball to the right people.
Shawn91111
5/11/08 7:39:05PM

Posted by tberg420

The Knicks need a true point guard. The rest of your team doesn't have to be great. They just need someone that can control the pace and distribute the ball to the right people.

Maybe not great but good players, once the PG distributes , in turn those players have to do something with it. True point guards run thin along the lines of true centers now a days.
candynuts
5/12/08 11:42:29PM
I would love to see the Knicks becomming the #8 seed next year.
However, they are in the Eastern conference and it would be hard to do worse than a 23-59 record. Didnt like the Wilson Chandler pick last year and hope they can snag the 1st pick.
Unfortunately with D'Antoni's coaching style they will probably end up giving way too many points. They allowed about 104 points a game this season, and they just have too many streaky shooters to consistently win.

Unfortunately I will be surprised if they get more than 35 wins next year.
Phoenix shot 50% from the field as opposed to the Knicks 43%. D'Antoni will just simply not have the firepower necessary to implement his style.
Shawn91111
5/12/08 11:51:16PM

Posted by candynuts

I would love to see the Knicks becomming the #8 seed next year.
However, they are in the Eastern conference and it would be hard to do worse than a 23-59 record. Didnt like the Wilson Chandler pick last year and hope they can snag the 1st pick.
Unfortunately with D'Antoni's coaching style they will probably end up giving way too many points. They allowed about 104 points a game this season, and they just have too many streaky shooters to consistently win.

Unfortunately I will be surprised if they get more than 35 wins next year.
Phoenix shot 50% from the field as opposed to the Knicks 43%. D'Antoni will just simply not have the firepower necessary to implement his style.

Also with Phoenix they were not exactly a powerhouse defensive team, between Nash and Amare those 2 are very bad defenders. Its funny when a while back Isiah said he wanted to bring a 'Phoenix Suns Style' of basketball to the Knicks and then they go out and get said coach of the Suns.

You cant run that style of play with Curry and Randolph.
gsquat
5/13/08 3:03:41PM
Just like I don't think getting rid of Johnson in Dallas will solve anything, neither will this. The problem in NY is Marbury. A team can never act like a team with him in the lineup. He's far too selfish and not as good as he thinks he is. He's the Melvin Guillard of the NBA. He wont admit that he's not a superstar (or even that good) and has a huge attitude problem. Get him off the team and let the rest of them grow.

D'Antoni is a better coach than Isiah. It'll be interesting to see how he tries to run the Knicks' offense.