do your knees get sore from rolling to much?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » do your knees get sore from rolling to much?
bell9440
7/29/08 11:06:28PM
When I got up today my knee was really sore.all I have been doing is bjj and riding bike.I don't think it was the bike because it is low stress on the knees.I don't remember getting in any knee submissions but I did roll a lot on the top yesterday. have any of you guys had knee problems from rolling to much.
Svartorm
7/29/08 11:30:08PM
Depends on the surface you're rolling on, and how you use your knees. If you're using good quality mats, the knees shouldn't be hurtin from rolling, but if you use hard rubber mats or just roll on the floor, you can cause some harm to the knees and elbows.

Do you rest on your knees in side control or put your weight on your toes and sink your hips? If you're resting on your knees and the guy on bottom is very active you could be bouncing on your knees and causing them damage. Same applies if you're in mount and the guy is bridge rolling like crazy.

I have bad knees, so I always wear knee pads no matter what surface I'm rolling on. For $40 you can get knee pads that will last forever, are washable, and can take insane impact. Well worth the investment. I got Nike gel kneepads at Sports Authority for $17 apiece about five years ago and aside from being stained a bit, they're just as good as the day I bought them.
HMA123
7/30/08 12:08:45AM

Posted by Svartorm

Depends on the surface you're rolling on, and how you use your knees. If you're using good quality mats, the knees shouldn't be hurtin from rolling, but if you use hard rubber mats or just roll on the floor, you can cause some harm to the knees and elbows.

I agree.

Also before you roll, make sure you loosen your legs up alot. You guys probly run / or do whatever you do to warm up but even before you roll make sure you stretch your lower body out. And i've been having a bad knee for a little while now also and everytime i know im about to roll or anything i always loosen up my legs. And believe it or not theres a ton of stuff you can do to loosen up your knees (stretches / movements,etc)..
Jackelope
7/30/08 3:33:36AM

Posted by bell9440

When I got up today my knee was really sore.all I have been doing is bjj and riding bike.I don't think it was the bike because it is low stress on the knees.I don't remember getting in any knee submissions but I did roll a lot on the top yesterday. have any of you guys had knee problems from rolling to much.

We could give you a lot better answer if you can clarify which part of the knee it is. Do you feel like it's bruised on the patella (big round front part of knee) or does it feel like the ligaments are getting worn out?

If you're working a lot of rubber guard it can really stress the ligaments of the knees, but if you're doing a lot of high impact rolling on less than quality mats it can be the other stuff Svartorm was talking about. That's the situation where you'd feel bruising type pain on the patella and on the sides of your knees.

In general I feel knee pads/knee supports are a good idea for anyone. Knee problems are inevitable in this sport and mitigating the damage before it's done is a lot better than waiting for the damage to be done and then attempting to minimize the pain. Go with quality shit as was already mentioned. Low caliber stuff will continuously slide of your knees, won't offer much support, and will probably stretch out or rip before you know it.
bell9440
7/30/08 10:11:26AM
the pain is right below the knee cap.it hurts to pivot or squat.it is not swelled any.and we do have good mats.monday it seemed like every roll i would end up in side control.I am a big guy (6-4 275)and when I go against the smaller guys (185)I don't rest my weight on them I just stay on my elbows and knees.I don't know if it was that or over doing it on my bike.I wouldn't think that a bike would cause this,but I'm not sure.
Jackelope
7/30/08 10:21:15AM

Posted by bell9440

the pain is right below the knee cap.it hurts to pivot or squat.it is not swelled any.and we do have good mats.monday it seemed like every roll i would end up in side control.I am a big guy (6-4 275)and when I go against the smaller guys (185)I don't rest my weight on them I just stay on my elbows and knees.I don't know if it was that or over doing it on my bike.I wouldn't think that a bike would cause this,but I'm not sure.

Hmm... well honestly I'd have a doctor check it out. You could be suffering from some wear and tear on your meniscus from the sounds of it. I'm no doctor, just an EMT... so I can't say for sure, though. (and really no one can say for sure unless they examine it) Main things to look out for are seeing whether or not it hurts when you straighten it forcefully and also listen for your knee popping regularly.

Good thing is if this is the case as long as it's not damaged too bad it can heal up with some rest on it. In the meantime use lots of alternating cold and heat and wrap the knee tightly while doing so. You're a pretty big guy and this is a common thing for big dudes like yerself.
AO
7/30/08 10:26:10AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bell9440

Hmm... well honestly I'd have a doctor check it out. You could be suffering from some wear and tear on your meniscus from the sounds of it. I'm no doctor, just an EMT... so I can't say for sure, though. (and really no one can say for sure unless they examine it) Main things to look out for are seeing whether or not it hurts when you straighten it forcefully and also listen for your knee popping regularly.

Good thing is if this is the case as long as it's not damaged too bad it can heal up with some rest on it. In the meantime use lots of alternating cold and heat and wrap the knee tightly while doing so. You're a pretty big guy and this is a common thing for big dudes like yerself.

This sounds about right. For a guy as big as you, your knees probably arent in the best shape to being with. Check with a doc or heat/cold and supports are probably worth a go.
Raykill
7/30/08 4:15:07PM

Posted by bell9440

hi, my knee gets sore from doing bj too.

oh wait, you said bjj. Never mind
Svartorm
7/30/08 4:25:07PM
Just because you lost an Avatar bet doesn't mean you have to play the part.
RMFG_187
7/30/08 4:36:51PM

Posted by Svartorm

Just because you lost an Avatar bet doesn't mean you have to play the part.