Were the knee strikes illegal?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Were the knee strikes illegal?
scoozna
1/21/08 10:40:25AM
Anyone see that the ref stopped Werdum from hitting GG with knees just before the stoppage? GG wasn't actually on the ground, he was squating up against the fence. I didn't think they were illegal (although close), were they?

I know it's immaterial now, but it could have been a brutal end if GG had stayed where he was and the ref didn't stop Werdum.
bayonetxwork
1/21/08 10:46:31AM
The UFC considers an opponent down when they have 3 points of their body down. When hes squatting he's fair game to knee, but once he puts his hand down, he's considered a downed opponent where the knees are illegal.
xchickox
1/21/08 11:20:13AM

Posted by bayonetxwork

The UFC considers an opponent down when they have 3 points of their body down. When hes squatting he's fair game to knee, but once he puts his hand down, he's considered a downed opponent where the knees are illegal.

yeah thats spot on, he put his left hand down to the mat
postman
1/21/08 1:19:54PM
Well said! I did notice that BJ threw a knee to Joe on the ground. It was nothing that cause much damage but none the less it was a knee on the ground.
Manfred
1/21/08 3:15:56PM
I like that Jersey ref. I'm glad they used him and brought him to England. Hopefully he gets licenced in NV and CA He's no BJM but a good repacement. Houston / Thiago was stopped just right. So was Werdum / GG. Gives them a chance but definitely protects the fighters.
jgtribbett
1/21/08 3:20:04PM
the hand thing was smart.. but super gay. i think you should have to have 3 three points withatleast one knee down.. or just a knee down
Boo_Radley21
1/21/08 4:18:01PM

Posted by metal_mecca43

the hand thing was smart.. but super gay. i think you should have to have 3 three points withatleast one knee down.. or just a knee down

Randy used that hand rule really well in the Sylvia fight and I think Rogan commented on it actually. While Sylvia was holding him he put his hands on the ground so that Big Tim couldn't hit him with any knees and it worked. If he didn't do that Tim could have done some damage. Not won the fight but done some damage.
scoozna
1/21/08 5:39:45PM

Posted by metal_mecca43

...lol, I'll stop short of calling it "gay" but I think I know what you mean.
cmill21
1/21/08 6:11:48PM
Wasn't illegal, he didn't throw a knee when he put his hand down, they were before he put the hand down.