Knee injury

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Knee injury
silverbullet
3/19/08 12:54:00PM
Injured my knee about a week and a half ago during grappling practice. Went for a single leg, started driving, and then felt my knee explode. It hurt like a b***h that night, but i could walk (limp). It was swollen the next morning but not too badly. Went to a Doc he pulled my knee in different directions and said that it "feels stable". Told me to stay away from the gym for 2-3 weeks.

It's been a week and a half, I can walk no problem. The knee is still a little swollen to the inside of the kneecap. It still hurts when i twist and turn it at an odd angle, like when im sleeping at night. Otherwise it seems at full strength, as i did 100+ squats the other night.

Anybody have any sort of experience? How long more should i sit out? Is this going to be a recurring thing? I mean it hurt like a mother when it happened. What's the remedy to prevent it from happening again on the mat? I am thinking athletic tape + light knee-brace.
bullettdodger
3/19/08 1:10:52PM
Getting yourself a solid knee-brace would be a good idea for when you are active/go back to the gym/training again. It will provide extra support that will allow your injury to heal better with out the same stress the leg would endure without the brace. I was defending a take down, got my left ankle pullled out from under me, but planted my foot immediately and drove both of us back to the standing position, in that i felt my a few muscles in my ankle pop, I've been wearing an ankle brace for about 2 months now, its really helpful when i stand a lot at work, so if you have any sort of obligations in your life that will put stress on your injury i would recommend a brace of some sort, and not a cheap one either... you get what you pay for i always say.
Salty
3/19/08 2:05:09PM
The same thing happened to me a month or so ago, during a takedown drill i got taken down and landed funny, not sure how i landed basically but i felt a pop, and my knee started to swell up, i could limp on it no problem but turning it certain ways killed, like when you swing your legs out of bed and they angle to the ground was the worst. give it the 2-3 weeks like the doctor said, mine started to feel great and i started running again and then went back to jujitsu to only find out that it wasn't better at all, any pressure someone put on it made it kill I couldn't roll with anyone. so i gave it another week and started training again full time this week and it feels alot better, only slight pain when pulling guard and half guard the next mouring it was stiff and achey but strecthing helped alot.
Rush
3/19/08 4:10:57PM
I injured my knee badly in judo years ago. It took about a month to get "better" where I was walking on it no problem and had minor pain during quicker movements (like running). I had decent strength from rehabilitation and I could even do forward rolls in class with no problems or pain.

I think went to fight and went to do a tomo nage and my knee popped. I was out for at least another month. I decided to take the whole summer off (after that month) to rehabilitate it totally. I have never had related knee trouble since then. Considering I have ran many runs from 5k, half-marathon and full marathon, plus lots of training, I think it is safe to say that it healed.

I have made many mistakes going back to training too soon after getting injured and ended up re-injuring myself (remember, it's not just you but the guy(s) around you that can re-injure you). Therefore, I wait until I am about as close to 100% as I think I can be (this does not include stiffness resulting from inactivity and the general healing process i.e. scarred tissue) and I add an additional 2-5 weeks before I start training again.

I find that braces do not help me. I find that if I need to wear a brace, then it is not healed. Braces are really only needed IMO when you cannot do your regular daily movements (walking, sitting etc) without one.
casey64
3/19/08 9:58:10PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Getting yourself a solid knee-brace would be a good idea for when you are active/go back to the gym/training again. It will provide extra support that will allow your injury to heal better with out the same stress the leg would endure without the brace. I was defending a take down, got my left ankle pullled out from under me, but planted my foot immediately and drove both of us back to the standing position, in that i felt my a few muscles in my ankle pop, I've been wearing an ankle brace for about 2 months now, its really helpful when i stand a lot at work, so if you have any sort of obligations in your life that will put stress on your injury i would recommend a brace of some sort, and not a cheap one either... you get what you pay for i always say.

silverbullet
3/20/08 8:08:12AM
Thank you so much for the advice. I think I'll wait another week before hitting the mats again