Kings Without Crowns

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Kings Without Crowns
juanez13
3/21/08 4:43:12PM
The eight greatest MMA fighters who have never won a championship or major tournament…

8. Gilbert Yvel (32-12-1)

There are two reasons “The Hurricane” hasn’t risen to the lofty heights of champion: his lackluster ground game and his ridiculous temper. Yvel has undeniable knockout power, particularly in his kicks and flying knees, and 28 of his 32 wins have come via KO/TKO. On the other hand, a quarter of his 12 losses came from well-deserved DQ’s. If he could have gotten out of his own way, this guy could have been on top of the world.

7. Yushin Okami (22-4)

Okami had a good shot to win Rumble on the Rock’s 175-pound tourney in 2006. As you’ll recall, he was staggered by an illegal kick from Anderson Silva in the first round, picking up a DQ win that allowed him to continue on to fight Jake Shields. But Shields beat Thunder in a decision (and ended up winning the whole thing), and Okami’s title hope disappeared. Now in the UFC, Okami is a top contender for the middleweight title — but good luck getting past the division’s undisputed ruler.

6. Jeremy “Gumby” Horn (79-17-5)

Although he has logged an impressive record in over 100 pro fights — beating guys like Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, Josh Burkman, Dean Lister, “The Hurricane,” David Loiseau, and Vernon White — “Gumby” has never won the big one. He had two chances to pick up a title (UFC 17 vs. Frank Shamrock for the middleweight crown and UFC 54 in a rematch with Liddell for the light heavy belt), but was stopped both times.

5. Aleksander Emelianenko (12-3)

“The Grim Reaper” may have some cool tats and a string of highlight-reel KO’s, but he hasn’t been able to get a shot at the gold yet, and his career has been somewhat aimless since the demise of PRIDE. Though he’s no Fedor, he’s been impressive in all his wins, and his three losses come from top competition — Mirko Cro Cop, Josh Barnett, and Fabricio Werdum. We’d love to see Aleks get some sort of title fight in the future, but for now he’s spinning his wheels in M-1 Challenge matches.

4. Jeff Monson (24-7)

“The Snowman” has had two title shots — for the heavyweight belt vs. Tim Sylvia at UFC 65 and for the UAFC heavyweight title vs. Pedro Rizzo. He came close against Sylvia, but close doesn’t get you a crown, and Monson remains belt-less. Still, we don’t think we’ve seen the last of this fireplug-like submission monster.

3. Ben Rothwell (29-5)

Big Ben may not be much to look at, but there’s no denying that he’s a force in the cage. During his reign of terror in the IFL, Rothwell beat current heavyweight champion Roy Nelson and former UFC champ Ricco Rodriguez, but neither match was for a title. Not to worry — once Rothwell finds a new home, his shot will be just around the corner.

2. Matt Lindland (20-5)

For all the reverence he gets from MMA fans, “The Law” has only had one title fight in his career. He’s beaten guys like Pat Miletich, Phil Baroni (twice), Carlos Newton, and Travis Lutter, but couldn’t figure out Murilo Bustamante at UFC 37 when it was for all the middleweight marbles. Maybe that new Affliction/Golden Boy promotion could just give him a belt out of respect…

1. Jon Fitch (17-2)

Yeah, we know Dana White recently said Fitch is next in line for a shot, but Dana says a lot of things. The list of guys Jon has beaten during his ongoing 15-fight win streak proves he should be getting his chance at gold asap. Whether he’ll pull through and earn the right to get off of this list is another thing. list.
seanfu
3/21/08 4:56:35PM
I think Frankie Edgar would be an appropriate add.
Karo Parisyan in undeniably a big part of the UFC.
I feel Babalu could have been a reigning champ if Chucky boy wasn't such a beast.
Early UFC Riggs could be on the list.
I like Yvel a lot but I don't see him being one of the greatest fighters to never hold a major title. His standup is beasty but his flashes of brilliance could easily be made up for by his lack of temper and groundgame.
juanez13
3/21/08 5:23:53PM

Posted by seanfu

I think Frankie Edgar would be an appropriate add.
Karo Parisyan in undeniably a big part of the UFC.
I feel Babalu could have been a reigning champ if Chucky boy wasn't such a beast.
Early UFC Riggs could be on the list.
I like Yvel a lot but I don't see him being one of the greatest fighters to never hold a major title. His standup is beasty but his flashes of brilliance could easily be made up for by his lack of temper and groundgame.

Guy Mezger should be there IMO.

agreed with Babalu, abd maybe Parisyan (can see the argument why he shouldnt)............defenately dont agree with Edgar though, lol he is just a new comer, he hasnt been around long enough. and about your comment about Yvel, IMO the things you said about him are exactly why he is on that list.
WhiteWidow
3/21/08 5:45:32PM
Gilbert is one of my favorites to watch win or lose the guy is exciting, hes had some rough patches in his career and i support him KOing the ref 100%, when the ref is the manager of the opponent your fighting and he tries to be bias "ya handle ya bidness" wouldnt say hes without a crown but i think he could be really good from now on, i wouldnt exactly call Okami king material if you watched the way Suloev massacred him, i think eventually Aleks will be a champ somewhere, Dream, World Victory Road, longshot UFC champ etc, gotta mention Horn the guy is a legend, i wanna see Rothwell take on some top competition besides Tim Sylvia, and Matt Lindland has just been unlucky and he should look elsewhere than the UFC because theres a wrecking ball in the middleweight division that makes people think that division is boring, and if Jon Fitch dosnt do well in the UFC he'll be champ somewhere the guy is a box of talent and potential i feel that hes not what he could be mostly a wrestler but you need more these days Chris Wilson almost had him in the first, and Jeff Monson could be a champ somewhere hes pretty good
jiujitsufreak74
3/21/08 6:03:10PM
i think Lindland should be 1 and Aleks E. 2. no way is Rothwell better then Aleks. also, Fitch doesn't have the big fights for us to declare him the best ever to not win a belt. Aleks is way better then Monson and that is pathetic to rank Monson ahead of him. those are just a few grievances i have with the list...cool idea though.
Mastodon2
3/21/08 6:22:00PM
Though its a different sport, and I'm guilty of shouting his name whenever possible (he's my hero, sorry guys!) Jerome Le Banner is the ultimate king without a crown. Beating all of K-1s top names (bar Schilt, but he was doing very well until his knee gave out) and never taking a GP. A true shame!
juanez13
3/21/08 7:48:31PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Though its a different sport, and I'm guilty of shouting his name whenever possible (he's my hero, sorry guys!) Jerome Le Banner is the ultimate king without a crown. Beating all of K-1s top names (bar Schilt, but he was doing very well until his knee gave out) and never taking a GP. A true shame!

he is defenately one of K-1 elite fighters, but every GP there seems to be someone a bit more determined, Aerts and Hoost always seem to get the edge on him. I remember on the 99 GP, where he managed to get by aerts, and i was certain he would take Hoost out, but fell short.

although he was the K-1 WORLD GP 2000 in Nagoya , Osaka Champio, but granted his opposition wasnt as good as the other GP's.
HulkRage
3/22/08 2:46:04AM
Aleks needs to step out of his brothers shadow and sign with the UFC, he could shake things up in the UFC. Still may not be Champ though.
bullettdodger
3/22/08 2:46:24PM
gilbert doesn't have a belt or anything like that cause he is too damn dirty in the ring, gouging Don Frye's eyes in pride, repeatedly grabbed the ropes to stay standing, not to mention never listens to the officials... Who ever has Gilbet, let them keep him cause i never want to see a fighter with his lack of class or respect for his fellow fighters ever in the UFC
Pookie
3/22/08 3:04:55PM

Posted by HulkRage

Aleks needs to step out of his brothers shadow and sign with the UFC, he could shake things up in the UFC. Still may not be Champ though.

Aleks isnt allowed in the United States...

Cro-cop has never earned i title...
Copenhagen
3/22/08 10:42:07PM
Igor never had a belt correct? If so, he should def be up there if we're talking about past and present.
ICSlegend
3/23/08 5:35:17AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by HulkRage

Aleks isnt allowed in the United States...

Cro-cop has never earned i title...

Aleks fought in Canada and other former "criminals" have fought in the US, so visa issues can probably be resolved for athletes.

Crocop was 2006 OWGP champ. I would say he earned that by dismanteling Wand and Barnett in one night.

I would say Sakuraba is the greatest King Without a Crown. The "saku belt" aside. No one has beaten as many champions in as many different weight classes as Saku.
Rush
3/23/08 10:39:22AM

Posted by ICSlegend

I would say Sakuraba is the greatest King Without a Crown. The "saku belt" aside. No one has beaten as many champions in as many different weight classes as Saku.

He did win a UFC tournament

In addition I would take a number of guys off this list. One fighter I would add would be Sergei Kharitonov
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/23/08 11:47:11PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i think Lindland should be 1 and Aleks E. 2. no way is Rothwell better then Aleks. also, Fitch doesn't have the big fights for us to declare him the best ever to not win a belt. Aleks is way better then Monson and that is pathetic to rank Monson ahead of him. those are just a few grievances i have with the list...cool idea though.

uh huh, damn bioy u so intelligent
candynuts
3/24/08 12:14:53AM

Posted by Copenhagen

Igor never had a belt correct? If so, he should def be up there if we're talking about past and present.

First person that comes to mind. I know hes won some tournaments, but not necessarily "major tournaments."

Back in the day Tank Abbott could have been the guy that was a King without a crown. Frye, Taktarov, Mo Smith. Had chances, but it always went the other way.

Rush
3/24/08 9:28:32AM

Posted by Copenhagen

for sure