Kings without a crown

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kings without a crown
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/13/07 9:49:56PM
Who do you guys feel is a perverbial "King without a crown" meaning a highly decorated fighter that should be a champion but hasnt gotten his/her stripes?

I often here Jerome Lebanner (K1) being called this. IMO Crocop is a prime example of a "king without a crown"

Matt Lindland, Ricardo Arona are others that come into mind.

Anyone else you see dethroning present champions, or just below the threshold of excellence that it takes to become champ?

Your thoughts
migo
3/13/07 10:39:21PM
Paulo Filho. Maybe Denis Kang.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/14/07 2:05:39AM

Posted by migo

Paulo Filho. Maybe Denis Kang.

Those two are great. I think Fihlo has a great chance at dethroning Hendo
Stickan
3/14/07 7:33:28AM
These threads are always interesting.
CroCop
Filho
Diaz since he actually beat the champion.
Shogun

I don't know about Lindland. He hasn't beaten any top MWers in a while.
madmarck
3/14/07 8:58:07AM
Ricardo Arona is a ADCC champ, i think he does deserve some stripes though. Like Diaz he beat the Champ in a non- title match. Babalu also comes to mind. Even though he is coming off of 2 losses he is still a top guy.

Jeremy Horn should be on this lsit IMO. He is a world class grappler and has more wins than almost anyone excpet Fulton. He is nowhere near to getting a title shot at 185, which is his weight. He went almost 4 rounds with Chuck (longer than any other Fighter).
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/14/07 2:47:06PM

Posted by madmarck

Ricardo Arona is a ADCC champ, i think he does deserve some stripes though. Like Diaz he beat the Champ in a non- title match. Babalu also comes to mind. Even though he is coming off of 2 losses he is still a top guy.

Jeremy Horn should be on this lsit IMO. He is a world class grappler and has more wins than almost anyone excpet Fulton. He is nowhere near to getting a title shot at 185, which is his weight. He went almost 4 rounds with Chuck (longer than any other Fighter).

I really think if Jeremy Horn played his cards right, he would have held the UFC MW belt for a long time. Horn is really well rounded but just lacks that certain...what the french would call....I don't know what....that seperates the great from the excellent
warglory
3/14/07 3:40:27PM
Mark Hunt is close. I think he has incredible talent and has beaten Cro Cop, Silva and pressed Fedor like few can. I think after a few more wins he will be one of the best.
Gladiator
3/14/07 3:54:45PM
shogun
nick diaz
mirko cro cop
kid yamamoto

i think kid yamamoto would be a dominant champion for a long time in the ufc or pride if they had a featherweight division.
Junior24
3/14/07 4:21:47PM
Jerome Lebanner (K-1)*NOTE: Just started MMA. God I wish he would sign w/UFC or Pride this year.
CRO COP(MMA)
Shogun
Rampage
Sakuraba (He has a lot of very impressive fights)
Nog (Its been so long since he's held the belt)
Gilbert Melendez
Mark Hunt (MMA) *NOTE: Won K-1 GP

Im sure their are a few more I have missed. I understand you cant have belts for everybody, but anyone of these could headline a card and sell out, as well as beat any of their respective champions if given the chance.
Ydoc
3/14/07 5:10:18PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi
Horn is really well rounded but just lacks that certain...what the french would call....I don't know what....that seperates the great from the excellent

je na sais qua?

Like many others have said, Diaz. He's going to be a monster at LW.
hathcock32
3/14/07 6:44:30PM
Diego Sanchez
fedorwins1
3/14/07 6:51:08PM
Diego Sanchez
Mark Hunt
Cro Cop
Gilbert Melendez
JZ
Matt Lindland
Shogun
loller90278
3/14/07 7:11:03PM
melendez is already a champ in some org i believe.. besides that he has had 2( maybe 3) fights in pride.. how does that make him a king without a crown ?
hippysmacker
3/14/07 10:10:28PM
I'm gonna go with Shogun , only becasue he has not been able to fight for the belt, due to his freinship with Wandy. Don't know if he will beat Hendo, but I do think he has been better than Wandy for over a year. Anytime someone wins a grand prix ,and doesn't get to fight for the belt, I think they have legitamate claim. As for Cro-cop , he has a similiar legitamate claim, but as he already lost to Fedor, I don't think his case is as strong as Shogun's. Diaz should be the champ in my eyes as well, but I have a feeling it will be different the 2nd time around in Japan.
ButterBalls
3/14/07 11:08:21PM
Bean. [/thread]
MMA
3/14/07 11:13:28PM
It is Shogun's time to reign! I want to see him take out Henderson. I have nothing against Dan, but I gotta go with Shogun, he is the man.

I can see Cro Cop winning a rematch against Fedor. I am not going to claim that Fedor is afraid of Cro Cop, but I am pretty sure Cro Cop is the last person he would want to fight (who can blame him?).

Diaz has a shot, I thought the first fight was going to be close but damn. Well, Gomi has the better chin and punching power and Diaz has the more well-rounded and technical skills. The rematch should be fun (again), especially if Gomi does not gas!

I cannot see Sanchez beating St. Pierre right now. If they were to fight, I could see St. Pierre either winning a late T(KO) or an unanimous decision against Sanchez. I think Penn has the best shot at beating St. Pierre.

I can also see Nate Marquardt beating Anderson Silva for the title. He is experienced, well-rounded, and fights intelligently. He will only stand in front of Silva as long as he needs to in order to secure the takedown, then he will work the ground and pound. I think he is physically stronger than Silva so as long as he does not make a critical mistake (e.g. get subbed or run into a flying knee) and keeps the fight on the ground and not gas, he could win.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/15/07 4:33:44PM

Posted by MMA

It is Shogun's time to reign! I want to see him take out Henderson. I have nothing against Dan, but I gotta go with Shogun, he is the man.

I can see Cro Cop winning a rematch against Fedor. I am not going to claim that Fedor is afraid of Cro Cop, but I am pretty sure Cro Cop is the last person he would want to fight (who can blame him?).

Diaz has a shot, I thought the first fight was going to be close but damn. Well, Gomi has the better chin and punching power and Diaz has the more well-rounded and technical skills. The rematch should be fun (again), especially if Gomi does not gas!

I cannot see Sanchez beating St. Pierre right now. If they were to fight, I could see St. Pierre either winning a late T(KO) or an unanimous decision against Sanchez. I think Penn has the best shot at beating St. Pierre.

I can also see Nate Marquardt beating Anderson Silva for the title. He is experienced, well-rounded, and fights intelligently. He will only stand in front of Silva as long as he needs to in order to secure the takedown, then he will work the ground and pound. I think he is physically stronger than Silva so as long as he does not make a critical mistake (e.g. get subbed or run into a flying knee) and keeps the fight on the ground and not gas, he could win.

Shogun and Marquart have great chances IMO
TOMMYAYO05
8/22/07 4:23:20PM
My kings without a crown are.....
Shogun
Bj Penn
Josh Koscheck
mrsmiley
8/22/07 5:11:11PM
Sakuraba
Shogun
Cro Cop
Mastodon2
8/22/07 5:17:07PM

Posted by Junior24

Jerome Lebanner (K-1)*NOTE: Just started MMA. God I wish he would sign w/UFC or Pride this year.

I know its an old thread, but I must note that JLB will never appear in the UFC. Thank god. He just doesnt have any wrestling ability, his MMA showings were terrible. He gets taken down and then just waits for the standup so he can get the KO. He is poor at MMA, and Im a huge JLB fan! People say the same thing about Buakaw, but he needs to stick to K-1 MAX and Muay Thai bouts.

They shouldnt change games, the ones who do well in MMA are the ones who cross train from a young age, people who get strong in one field them come to MMA often do poorly when their weakness gets exploited, the exception to the rule is Cro Cop, and he often got by with his killer sprawl.

My kings without crowns are

Jerome Le Banner - an absolute tank. Awesome in every field of striking, his defence, offence, footwork, head movement, game plans etc are all amazing, but he has terrible luck in GPs. He just never quite seems to make it. He will never go in the books alongside names like Aerts, Bonjasky and Hoost in terms of success, but anyone who knows K-1 knows JLB, and will have immense respect for him.

Cro Cop is my other vote. Yes he has the Pride 2006 OWGP, which is a great title, but imo some people overlook it. I know Fedor was the unmoveable rock that sat on the title and didnt let anyone near it, but Cro Cop as close as only Nogueira, Hunt and Fujita did. And I only put Fujita on there because he rocked Fedor for a second before getting destroyed.
Jackelope
8/22/07 5:24:33PM
Karo Parisyan when it comes to the UFC
MoJoy
8/23/07 11:47:38AM
Shogun BJ Penn
Pitbull09
8/24/07 1:32:27AM
Diego Sanchez (until he lost to Kos, I seriously think he shouldve been in a #1 contender fight or gotten a title shot instead of Kos.)
St. Pierre (That fight was complete BS and its ashame GSP wasnt in the right state of mind to win.)
Cro Cop- (He shouldve had a title shot by now if that kick didnt happen.)
AA (maybe not a crown, but AA deserves to start moving up in the ranks and at least be given a shot to prove himself against the higher potential again.)
The_Grim_Reaper
8/24/07 12:00:37PM
Paulo Filho is WEC MW Champ <-----Crown?
Gilbert Melendez is Strikeforce LW Champ <-----Crown?
but, for people that are uncrowned cChamps are Diaz he beat the Champ so he technically is the Champ, Shogun has his GP Championship Belt but he deserves his title shot, and Sakuraba because there was no Belt in Pride at the time and he would have been Champion, yes he had his short lived SAKU belt but that doesn't compare to what he desrved he was for all intensive purposes just unstoppable then he beat a who's who of fighters before he faced Wanderlei, his nickname isn't "The Gracie Hunter" for nothing, i can only dream of a match between him and Rickson......(sigh)