The Kings

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Kings
Franklinfan47
6/11/12 11:11:59PM
Wasnt the prettiest game in the world, but I must say Im happy to see LA take home their first cup. This year was the closest theyve been to a cup since Gretzky in the early 90s. Considering they were 8th seed in the west as well, it was impressive. Quick is beastly!
Chael_Sonnen
6/11/12 11:14:02PM
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
sparky
6/11/12 11:15:26PM
I was pulling for the devils strictly for Martin Brodeur
jakewalters
6/11/12 11:23:27PM
Glad LA won the Cup just so hockey gets more exposure.

Every time I see these players skate the Cup around with a huge smile on their face it gives me goosebumps like nothing else.
prophecy033
6/11/12 11:26:13PM
Who woulda thought at the beginning of the season that the Kings would win the Stanley Cup? Not me but I kinda like it
pmoney
6/11/12 11:33:51PM
I'm stoked! I'm a very casual hockey fan, but I grew up with the Mighty Ducks movies, so I have always rooted on California hockey and appreciated the sport. The Lakers, Dodgers and Kings are my teams, and sometimes it seems like they feed off of eachothers success.
Bubbles
6/12/12 12:09:41AM

Posted by jakewalters

Glad LA won the Cup just so hockey gets more exposure.

Game 1 had a 24% drop in viewership than game 1 of last season's Stanley Cup across the states. Hockey has been in the US since its inception and has been in most markets for 20+ years. The exposure is there and has been for decades, but no one takes note. ESPN does a horrendous job promoting the sport, but thankfully NBC is starting to do something about it. Almost every team bleeds millions because they cant get more than 6,000 people to a game (most notably those further south).
Bubbles
6/12/12 12:14:44AM

Posted by prophecy033

Who woulda thought at the beginning of the season that the Kings would win the Stanley Cup? Not me but I kinda like it

A lot of "experts" picked them to be the team to come out of the west, along with Vancouver, because of their offseason moves. Then they changed coaches mid season and brought in a solid 2nd lineman in Carter at the trade deadline and the whole team philosophy and mindset changed. I picked them to lose in the conference finals to Vancouver at the beginning of the season, but the moment they beat them in the first round, they instantly became favourites to win the west

Congrats to LA Kings for a dominating playoff run It's too bad my Rangers couldn't advance to make this finals competitive
scoozna
6/12/12 9:33:51AM
I'm just glad the Devils lost.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/12/12 5:09:53PM
The Kings have probably just become the most impressive playoff team in the history of sports with this win. What they did has never been done in any other sport.
crushedbacon
6/12/12 7:52:48PM
This teams gonna be a juggernaut for years to come. The only guys that aren't locked up for next year are Stoll and Penner. Stool is the Swiss Army knife of NHL players. Not too great at any one thing (well maybe face-offs), but he can do everything.... Wins faceoffs, kills penalties, plays PP (point or up front), has the talent to play top 6 or if used on the 3rd line, can check the other teams best players into the ice.
Penner... is a blessing in disguise if he's gone.
The beauty of the NHL is the parity. Just get a ticket into the dance and you can go all the way. (8th seed Flyers went to the finals 2 years ago, now the 8th seed Kings win it all, with one of the most dominant post season runs ever.
Bubbles
6/12/12 8:27:18PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

The Kings have probably just become the most impressive playoff team in the history of sports with this win. What they did has never been done in any other sport.

the '87 or '88 Oilers went 16-2 in their Cup run (Kings went 16-4), though they didn't have to beat the top 3 seeds in their conference.