The King Is Dead! Long Live The New King!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The King Is Dead! Long Live The New King!
DCRage
1/8/09 7:27:05AM
No, not Elvis. We all know he's been dead for decades. We're talking video games-Mario is no longer the King...Super Mario Bros. has lost it's title as biggest-selling videogame of all time. The new champion? No, it's not GTA, Halo, or anything like that...It's Wii Sports.

Well, that didn't take long.

According to game-tracking website VGChartz, sales of Nintendo's pop-culture phenom Wii Sports have surpassed those of legendary platformer Super Mario Bros., making the breakout Wii title the best-selling video game of all time. And it only took two years and two months to do it.

The data is based on cumulative worldwide sales figures ending the week of December 27, 2008, which indicate that lifetime sales of Wii Sports have exceeded Mario's staggering 40.24 million units.

Shocked? Don't be. Unlike most video games that can be bought at retail, Wii Sports comes bundled with the Wii hardware in every territory other than Japan and Korea. In other words, if you bought a Wii, you bought Wii Sports whether you liked it or not (chances are, you liked it). With over 45 million Wiis sold worldwide to date, it's only logical that Wii Sports would start smashing records sooner or later.

And before you brand Wii Sports a false champion due to being bundled with hardware, consider that Super Mario Bros. was also sold as a bundle with the original Nintendo Entertainment System during its mid-80's heyday. Plus, Wii Sports has been a major hit even in non-bundled form, topping Wii sales charts in Japan at over 3.2 million copies sold in 2008 alone.

A new version of the game, Wii Sports: Resort, is due out later this year.

breakdown5
1/8/09 7:38:38AM
Mario will always be king for me. I've gotten drunk numerous times and played from start to finish all of the early Mario games. Classic shit. I don't really see myself getting into the Wii or any other game that requires me to get my fat ass off of my couch to play.

Mario was kind of a fatty and he beat Bowser every time and got his "reward" from the Princess.

Thumbs up : laziness

Thumbs down : exercise while playing a game

WAR MARIO!!!!
DCRage
1/8/09 8:08:53AM
I take it that you've never played Dance Dance Revolution, Pump It Up, or In The Groove.
cmb19932
1/8/09 10:50:11AM
i say dq because wii sports comes with all the wii systems it doesnt cound now delete this blasphomy agains luigie
mrsmiley
1/8/09 11:36:32AM
Though Mario loses,in the end Nintendo still wins.
Further proof that the more things change,the more they stay the same.
Despite having two other systems to compete with that are much more powerful,Nintendo has managed to find their way back to the top with the Wii.
DCRage
1/8/09 11:43:26AM

Posted by cmb19932

i say dq because wii sports comes with all the wii systems it doesnt cound now delete this blasphomy agains luigie

But don't forget that SMB also came with the NES in the early days.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/8/09 1:11:53PM
NES FTW!!!!!
cmb19932
1/8/09 2:39:08PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by cmb19932

But don't forget that SMB also came with the NES in the early days.

i did forget my freind well then long live wii sports
bobbydoomocculta
1/8/09 10:18:02PM
wii sports is more of a toy than a game...

It's not bad, But you won't play for hours trying to crack it... and there's better party games out there too... I could probably think of a hundred games better than it...
breakdown5
1/9/09 1:36:05AM

Posted by DCRage

I take it that you've never played Dance Dance Revolution, Pump It Up, or In The Groove.

Nope. Never even heard of the last two.
jakeiceman
1/9/09 1:57:58AM

Posted by DCRage

No, not Elvis. We all know he's been dead for decades. We're talking video games-Mario is no longer the King...Super Mario Bros. has lost it's title as biggest-selling videogame of all time. The new champion? No, it's not GTA, Halo, or anything like that...It's Wii Sports.

Well, that didn't take long.

According to game-tracking website VGChartz, sales of Nintendo's pop-culture phenom Wii Sports have surpassed those of legendary platformer Super Mario Bros., making the breakout Wii title the best-selling video game of all time. And it only took two years and two months to do it.

The data is based on cumulative worldwide sales figures ending the week of December 27, 2008, which indicate that lifetime sales of Wii Sports have exceeded Mario's staggering 40.24 million units.

Shocked? Don't be. Unlike most video games that can be bought at retail, Wii Sports comes bundled with the Wii hardware in every territory other than Japan and Korea. In other words, if you bought a Wii, you bought Wii Sports whether you liked it or not (chances are, you liked it). With over 45 million Wiis sold worldwide to date, it's only logical that Wii Sports would start smashing records sooner or later.

And before you brand Wii Sports a false champion due to being bundled with hardware, consider that Super Mario Bros. was also sold as a bundle with the original Nintendo Entertainment System during its mid-80's heyday. Plus, Wii Sports has been a major hit even in non-bundled form, topping Wii sales charts in Japan at over 3.2 million copies sold in 2008 alone.

A new version of the game, Wii Sports: Resort, is due out later this year.

Thats funny because I read this article the other night and it did not mention the new "king" until you opened the link. I had no idea that it was going to be Wii sports, I was kinda disappointed