Kimbo Slice unconcerned by Ken Shamrock’s ground experience

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo Slice unconcerned by Ken Shamrock’s ground experience
MMAcca
9/28/08 12:48:09PM
If only one man is standing when the bout ends between Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson and Ken Shamrock, it's a good bet it will be Slice.

While critics have been quick to discount Slice's development as an all-around mixed martial artist, there's no denying that, on his feet, Slice has the ability and the power to knock out whomever is in front of him. And when all the pre-fight picks are in ahead of the Slice versus Shamrock main event match-up on EliteXC CBS Saturday Night Fights on Oct. 4, the consensus will undoubtedly be Slice by KO.

Conventional fight wisdom suggests that the only avenue for victory for Shamrock goes through a submission. The 44-year-old UFC Hall-of-Fame fighter hasn't stopped an opponent with strikes in more than eight years and has looked less and less at home in stand-up mode with each passing round. For Shamrock, the equalizer in the fight will be getting Slice horizontal, a position in which James Thompson was very effective against Slice back in May.

The Bas Rutten-trained fighter was out of his element while pinned on his back, up against the cage against Thompson. It showed a vulnerability that hadn't been exposed in his first two fights, but Slice prefers to look at the upside of overcoming that poor second round.

LINK
JimiMak
9/28/08 2:01:32PM
Kimbo should take this easily. Tho I'm hoping to gawd that Shammy breaks his leg. C'mon Ken, fight smart. Pull and Inoki and just go for leglocks. I know you got one last one in ya for the guy trained by someone you leg locked a number of times.
wrona666
9/28/08 2:10:21PM
I got a feeling Shamrock is going to try and trade punches........Short painful night for Shamrock if that is the case.....He should shoot straight for the take down if he has any sense at all.....
jae_1833
9/28/08 2:21:43PM
Shammy will probably try and bang with Kimbo and end up on the wrong side of a KO highlight reel. If he can get control on the ground however (highly doubtful) a submission win (leg locks as above mentioned) could definately be there!
Kracker_Jap
9/28/08 2:33:17PM
This is Kimbo's fight to lose....

He should win, But I sher hope he loses by KO in the second round..

My thoughts on Kimbo goes like this...

You beat people up on the internet and got a reputation for being tough and having alot of punching power.... I say BS

If you had power and were tough you would have KO'd people in the first minute of the internet fights not in 5-10 min....

Your opponets were off the streets and your fights were bare knuckled any person that had power would have got the job done faster...

After Shammmy please fight the big guy with the mo-hawk so we all can witness power
gartface
9/28/08 2:46:24PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

You beat people up on the internet and got a reputation for being tough and having alot of punching power.... I say BS

If you had power and were tough you would have KO'd people in the first minute of the internet fights not in 5-10 min....

Your opponets were off the streets and your fights were bare knuckled any person that had power would have got the job done faster...

After Shammmy please fight the big guy with the mo-hawk so we all can witness power

The guy was homeless at one point, he has to make money somehow. Just like with EliteXC hyping him, the people that video taped his street fights were the ones that hyped him up. The dude is very humble, and I'm tired of him getting ragged on for stuff beyond his control.
nickcuc547
9/28/08 3:11:54PM
to be honest with you i don't think he has much to worry about. shamrock is a shell of his former self, and you have to give kimbo some credit because he hits hard, even if he has a long long way to go in other areas. but shamrock is giving up too much size in this one, kimbo will knock him out, early.
Red-Dragon
9/28/08 3:14:33PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Kracker_Jap

The guy was homeless at one point, he has to make money somehow. Just like with EliteXC hyping him, the people that video taped his street fights were the ones that hyped him up. The dude is very humble, and I'm tired of him getting ragged on for stuff beyond his control.

cmb19932
9/28/08 3:38:30PM
how did kimbo stay in shape if he was home less cuz he is jacked and you dont get that way overnight
EliasG
9/28/08 3:47:23PM
he was a hs football player when Hurricane andrew came in his sr. year and destroyed everything--his home, his hs, everything. So, he didn't get to get looked at his sr. year for college football and he was h omeless with his mama. Just like alot of poor folks after andrew.
He found out he could make some scratch as a bouncer so then some guy who was a bully and connected wtih drug dealers challenged him to a fight and the owners of the club that he bounced up put up the money for a backyard fight. He won and that was the beginning of the legend. Not like he was some thug going around beating people up like a barfighter. When he found out he could make some money doing it, he jumped at the chance. better money than bouncing..and you don't get paid off of youtube.

I'd do it to. Some hat on him for a lot of reasons.

Why? Don't know. Same reason some people hate on guys for having nicer cars than them I guess.

that answer your question?
pinoymixplaya
9/28/08 5:08:39PM
I can understand all of the hate around him but I just don't understand why people can't just give him a chance. Right now he is getting cans for opponents but what if he actually can become a sound MMA fighter? All I am saying is give the guy some credit, I mean if you were in his position, wouldn't you do the same damm thing? I know I would so props for him to get where he is now, considering where he came from.
Aaronno9
9/28/08 6:05:11PM

Posted by EliasG

he was a hs football player when Hurricane andrew came in his sr. year and destroyed everything--his home, his hs, everything. So, he didn't get to get looked at his sr. year for college football and he was h omeless with his mama. Just like alot of poor folks after andrew.
He found out he could make some scratch as a bouncer so then some guy who was a bully and connected wtih drug dealers challenged him to a fight and the owners of the club that he bounced up put up the money for a backyard fight. He won and that was the beginning of the legend. Not like he was some thug going around beating people up like a barfighter. When he found out he could make some money doing it, he jumped at the chance. better money than bouncing..and you don't get paid off of youtube.

I'd do it to. Some hat on him for a lot of reasons.

Why? Don't know. Same reason some people hate on guys for having nicer cars than them I guess.

that answer your question?

I didnt know all that, i always thought kimbo was just a general low life. Kinda changes my perspective of him a little.
Kracker_Jap
9/28/08 6:55:05PM
Never thought he was a low life and the fact that he was homeless or he could be humble definatly does not change my opinion of how hard the guy hits
imanidiot777
9/28/08 8:13:55PM
I never had a problem with Kimbo himself but as I always say, Shaw makes me and everyone else root for him to lose. "He's the best striker in the world", is the most ludicrous comment I've ever heard because he showed that his stand-up wasn't even that great against JT. I call BS on his knockout power too.
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/28/08 9:10:45PM
Best case scenario: They both come out strong swinging for the fences and catch each other with hard haymakers. Double KO.
gartface
9/29/08 1:12:08AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Never thought he was a low life and the fact that he was homeless or he could be humble definatly does not change my opinion of how hard the guy hits

Was trying to bring out the point that the things that people say about him are not his own thoughts most of the time. He doesn't go around saying he's got the biggest punching power ever, people around him, his "hype men" are the ones who do it. He's a victim of other people's perceptions, both good and bad, and I can't ever fault someone for that.
Kracker_Jap
9/29/08 2:47:48AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Was trying to bring out the point that the things that people say about him are not his own thoughts most of the time. He doesn't go around saying he's got the biggest punching power ever, people around him, his "hype men" are the ones who do it. He's a victim of other people's perceptions, both good and bad, and I can't ever fault someone for that.

Then I was talking to his "hype men"
Wolfenstein
9/29/08 3:14:49AM
I've been dissapointed by Ken more times than I can remember, but I think he's going to bring it against Kimbo. Ken is not going to let Kimbo knock him out.
NeaRMisS
9/29/08 8:43:52AM
I have a really bad feeling Ken is going to come out, all muscled like crazy... Damn near body builder style, and try and stand with kimbo and get ktfo.

I dont hate kimbo, I just want all the people hyping him up to realize that he isn't as good as they make him out to be. WIth that being said I will be rooting for ken and hopeing he takes him down and submits him asap!
EliasG
9/29/08 6:47:49PM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

I can understand all of the hate around him but I just don't understand why people can't just give him a chance. Right now he is getting cans for opponents but what if he actually can become a sound MMA fighter? All I am saying is give the guy some credit, I mean if you were in his position, wouldn't you do the same damm thing? I know I would so props for him to get where he is now, considering where he came from.

I actually think that all things considered, hype aside which you are right is ridiculous, he has only trained for about a year in MMA and in that time, he has beaten some low to middle competition in the HW division. Guys that aren't great but who DID have experience. That tells me he does have athletic ability and talent. That doesnt' mean he'll be top 10 ever because he didn't start this when he was 16, he started in his 30's.

Raise your hand if you fight. Now, imagine fighting Zero Smokers and zero amateur bouts. You just get thrown in doing pro fights and you are a main event--pressure--you better not lose to guys that have more fights than you have backyard brawls. That's pretty intense.

I honestly don't know any fighter that I've met or have seen that comes out of nowhere and does what Kimbo did. Guys like Brock spent years becoming world class wrestlers. They wrestled from like age 11 all through college etc... This guy just walks in off the street and is doing his thing. It's crazy.

I totally agree that he's not the best and he never will be, but I'm very impressed with how far he has come in a very short time. If I threw most of the couch potatoes on here that post into a gym and had them fighting in 3 months most would lose their smokers. A few talented fighters on here would win, but most would just take their lumps and chalk it up to experience. This is on the job training for Kimbo and dude keeps his mouth shut which is better than MANY young fighters that you run across. :)