Kimbo Slice Struggling with First Weight Cut

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo Slice Struggling with First Weight Cut
emfleek
12/3/09 3:59:34PM
Kimbo Slice, 35, says he was in middle school the last time he was at 215 pounds.

Slice, also known as Kevin Ferguson, is the only contestant in “The Ultimate Fighter” season 10 cast that was required to drop weight for the show’s finale, slated for this Saturday in Las Vegas. He fights fellow brawler Houston Alexander at a catchweight of 215 pounds. Alexander normally competes at light heavyweight.

Slice usually fights at around 235 pounds. It’s the first time he’s had to cut weight in his two-plus years as an MMA fighter – and he’s not liking it.

“Not good,” the generously bearded heavyweight said of his first weigh cut. “Not good. Moody… you just don’t feel the same. It’s mental, but it’s not a good feeling, to be honest with you.”

LINK
emfleek
12/3/09 4:02:15PM
...and another contributing factor to why I think Houston is going to knock him out...and fast. KO in under 2 minutes.
marcoDGK
12/3/09 4:12:26PM

Posted by emfleek

...and another contributing factor to why I think Houston is going to knock him out...and fast. KO in under 2 minutes.

That is the first thing I thought about.
jae_1833
12/3/09 4:35:09PM
Still holding on to my nuthuggery ways I suppose, I think he will make it, and be faster for it. I think Kimbo really needs to find a home at a good camp real bad too. He has recieved training from some of the best the sport has to offer and never seems happy. Maybe he just needs to get out of Florida. Extreme Couture could do wonders for his game, as could many.
grappler0000
12/3/09 4:37:37PM

Posted by jae_1833

Still holding on to my nuthuggery ways I suppose, I think he will make it, and be faster for it. I think Kimbo really needs to find a home at a good camp real bad too. He has recieved training from some of the best the sport has to offer and never seems happy. Maybe he just needs to get out of Florida. Extreme Couture could do wonders for his game, as could many.

Well, he's been training with ATT since the show, so I think he'll learn a lot there...still don't think it'll be enough time for him to deal with leg kicks and the clinch from Houston though.
Menard_StC
12/3/09 4:38:25PM
He has been with ATT for a little while now... not sure if he's happy or whatever but they are one of the best MMA camps on the planet.
RyanC
12/3/09 4:39:30PM

Posted by emfleek

That is exactly what I think is going to happen. Houston needs the win BAD, and he is gonna come out swinging for the fences.
emfleek
12/3/09 4:42:25PM

Posted by RyanC

That is exactly what I think is going to happen. Houston needs the win BAD, and he is gonna come out swinging for the fences.

Yep. Knowing damn well that Kimbo's gameplan is to stand and bang. Nebraska will, once again, be back in the building.
RyanC
12/3/09 4:48:36PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RyanC

Yep. Knowing damn well that Kimbo's gameplan is to stand and bang. Nebraska will, once again, be back in the building.

I like Houston. He's always seemed like a genuinely good/nice person. I think if he loses he's probably done in the UFC, and I think he knows it too. He can't afford to lose, and this fight is tailor made for him to win.

This fight actually may end up being loser is out of the UFC. Maybe Dana will hold on to Kimbo though.
emfleek
12/3/09 4:49:24PM

Posted by RyanC

This fight actually may end up being loser is out of the UFC. Maybe Dana will hold on to Kimbo though.

He's not going to dump Kimbo (aka "Mr. Ratings") after one fight. That's almost a guarantee.
RyanC
12/3/09 5:04:44PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RyanC

He's not going to dump Kimbo (aka "Mr. Ratings") after one fight. That's almost a guarantee.

Kind of what I was thinking. Strikeforce would probably nab him up in a heartbeat. I think Dana is smart enough to realize that. He loses a lot of credibility though due to everything he said in the past about Kimbo.
EliasG
12/3/09 5:41:48PM
Kimbo is entertainment value. Houston Alexander is every bit a nice guy as Kimbo. Two nice guys hustling trying to feed their families with the ability to KO people and GET KO'd. :) That's entertainment. Look if Keith Jardine can still be in the UFC after all his fights why not Kimbo? If Kimbo can still have KO power people and win half the time, people will still tune in. You just don't want to go on a long losing streak. You have to do KO, loss, KO, loss. I watch Scott Smith for that reason, he will probably lose, BUT he might KO the guy he fights. :)
RMFG_187
12/3/09 5:43:53PM
What makes you guys think that ATT is the holy grail of MMA Camps. What do you think ATT can do differently that LA Boxing couldn't?
EliasG
12/3/09 5:46:38PM
Doesn't say he's unhappy with his fight camp...he's unhappy with the weight cut. Remember he was never a wrestler and he's always been a heavyweight...and he's not built like Roy Nelsen....this weight cut has to be hard.
Jride
12/3/09 5:48:26PM
Cant say I'm surprised
grappler0000
12/3/09 5:54:17PM

Posted by EliasG

Kimbo is entertainment value. Houston Alexander is every bit a nice guy as Kimbo. Two nice guys hustling trying to feed their families with the ability to KO people and GET KO'd. :) That's entertainment. Look if Keith Jardine can still be in the UFC after all his fights why not Kimbo? If Kimbo can still have KO power people and win half the time, people will still tune in. You just don't want to go on a long losing streak. You have to do KO, loss, KO, loss. I watch Scott Smith for that reason, he will probably lose, BUT he might KO the guy he fights. :)

Well, in Jardine's defense, he has wins over 2 champs...and has sustained one of the toughest fight schedules that I can think of off hand.
mojo
12/3/09 6:21:30PM
I am excited for this fight. Two guys with big power and weak chins who really need a win, This will not get out of the first round.
kopower
12/3/09 6:30:01PM
Houston via ko in under a minute. Kimbo looks like he is solid muscle and he is going to be drained physically and mentally for this fight. Not to mention all the pressure and jitters of his first fight in the UFC. He does carry some heavy hands but there are so many things going against him in this fight
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/3/09 6:31:44PM
shocking news
bjj1605
12/3/09 7:07:11PM
Houston is the better fighter. Say what you will about him, the hype wasn't warranted after his first two wins, but he is at least an established MMA Professional. I'm not ready to say the same thing about Kimbo. He's a nice guy and he's got some basic stand up skills and some power... thats all. Maybe ATT will make some dramatic improvement on him, but I doubt it.

The weight cut just makes things worse. He is 235 with very little body fat, there isn't a whole lot to cut.

Houston takes this easy.
MaxOne
12/3/09 7:09:04PM
i think having kimbo cut weight makes no sense at all. obviously the match up is interesting but they should have put him against a heavy weight. Kimbo isn't a 205'er.

if anything let houston fight at heavyweight if they really want that match up. that's nothing new for houston. 205 is what he fights at in the UFC but prior to UFC he fought at heavyweight.

i don't think it's good for either of them. Kimbo's first official UFC fight and having to cut weight for the first time on a frame that has very little weight to be cut....it'll be all water weight and it's going to mess him up bad.

This should be Houston's fight to lose but the circumstances are wack to me.

xdanish020
12/3/09 8:14:46PM
I had a feeling this would happen, now switching my pick to Houston.
mojo
12/3/09 8:57:28PM
Cant wait for this fight. Two guys with big power and weak chins who really need a win. This fight will not get out of the first round.
Jackelope
12/3/09 11:18:48PM

Posted by RMFG_187

What makes you guys think that ATT is the holy grail of MMA Camps. What do you think ATT can do differently that LA Boxing couldn't?

Besides provide better trainers, training partners, and gameplans?

Umm... not much, I guess.

I honestly don't know if ATT will be able to do much with Kimbo, but IMO putting yourself in a position where you're training with Olympic Gold Medalist boxers, Olympic Wrestlers, some of the very best BJJ practicioners in the world, and with some of the best kickboxers in the world I honestly don't see how it couldn't be a step up.
EliasG
12/5/09 9:24:05PM
You always get better when you work with better competition, IF you also are being TAUGHT. But even if you are just the "meat" of sparring partners, etc... you can still learn if you are paying attention and watching. I always picked up something here and there and often when guys like you, they'll share something they know technique wise---although some guys are tightwads with technique...just depends. But yeah in a good camp you will ALWAYS get better.