Kimbo Slice VS Ray Mercer

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kimbo Slice VS Ray Mercer
KillaMed87
6/13/07 7:21:47PM
We all know kimbo is ferocius street fighter with no fear. Ray Mercer is an Olympic gold medalist and world heavyweight champion. Slice is set to face off against Mercer on CFFC 5 scheduled to take place June 23rd.

What do you guys think about this fight? I personaly think Kimbo will get TKOd. Kimbo says hes been training in an MMA gym for over a year now... which is impressive. But Mercer is always going to be a better boxer than Slice...when Slice stood up with Sean Gannon he got messed up. Only way i see Slice winning is by submission, whcih would require him to drop Mercer with a punch or get in close and take him down (Both of which i dont think will happend)

What do you guys think about this fight? Think youll buy it? I think its only 30 bucks
xthe_scottx
6/13/07 7:34:11PM
We've had a few similar threads about this already and this is what people had to say already:

Kimbo Slice

Kimbo training at Legends
KillaMed87
6/13/07 7:39:27PM
I knew somone would have already done it! Should look around first
xthe_scottx
6/13/07 7:46:55PM
It's fine, they aren't the same threads. I was starting it off by adding these to show what others have said already about this.
EEKS
6/14/07 2:26:44AM
I wonder what kimbos corner is instructing him to do in the fight, take it to the ground or keep it standing, obviously if its the same goons cornering as in the street fights hell try to man up at keep it standing and get brutally KOED but if he has legends giving him a gameplan im think they will tell him to go to the ground and pound out a win, im personally leaning more towards street style kimbo and we will see Mercer get his hands raised at the end of the night.
Lord_Lenny
6/14/07 2:42:33AM
Kimbo actually held his own against gannon until he gassed
warglory
6/14/07 2:52:46AM
Only because it was a stand up bout.
Lord_Lenny
6/14/07 2:57:37AM
very true
fatdevil1982
6/14/07 10:33:18AM
Bass Rutten with some kind words for Kimbo Slice in a message posted on the Sherdog forums:

OK guys, I have to say something here.

I am training Kimbo right now, and I have to say that he is one of the BEST fighters I have EVER trained. He really listens to you and does what you say, do you know how hard that it? If he’s dead tired, and I tell him five more rounds, he looks at me, but doesn’t say anything, he just does it.

I entroduced him to the Bas Rutten MMA workout, he was SO tired, he told me that he has never been as tired. Today I was teaching him again, he asked me in the beginning “Are we ging to do the Bas Rutten workout?” But he said it in a crazy way, so I asked him “Do you want to do it?”. He said “Please, yes!” I asked him why, because all my PROFESSIONAL fighters don’t want to do it. He said “Bas, I want to conquer this thing, I want to do it!”Man, he gets, Lots, and losts of respect!

All the **** that people write about him, I am telling you, and I hope you know I don’t lie, he’s a trooper! I wish that all my fighters would be like him. Even my wife loves the guy. He is SO respectful and uses NO bad language in front of kids (my two little daughters love him, and they don’t like anybody!), I am REALLY, blown away.

He really deserves this, I think this. Can a boxer be a MMA FIGHTER? We all know the answer, but can a street fighter be an MMA fighter? We all KNOW the answer to that!

I would wish that all my fighters were like him, like I said, I can put him through every workout I give him, he WILL do it, no questions asked.

I hope you guys meet Kimbo one day, you will be blown away. I just came back from an MMA event and I brought him there, just see how he is with the fans, it’s crazy!

You also know that I would NEVER train an *******, so trust me, but he’s got me, Shawn Tompkins (who trained him longer than I have,) and Randy Kathami (boxing coach for my gym) respect. I REALLY love the guy.

El Guapo says:

Party one and Godspeed!!
warglory
6/14/07 12:07:54PM
Yeah I have heard that Kimbo is nice (from what I could tell from his interviews too), and its cool that he isn't lackadaisical in training sessions. It looks like he really wants this which is good.
akumairon
6/17/07 1:04:11AM
my moneys on kimbo just cus hes got some heavy hands and some good boxing/brawling style
phvcx_1337
6/17/07 6:24:09AM
i would put my money on Kimbo just for the fact that Mercer is old and back when he fought Holyfield he was hurt by him and got gassed, and Kimbo has way heavier hands than Holyfield does.
warglory
6/17/07 2:34:39PM

Posted by phvcx_1337

i would put my money on Kimbo just for the fact that Mercer is old and back when he fought Holyfield he was hurt by him and got gassed, and Kimbo has way heavier hands than Holyfield does.

Holyfield would knock Kimbo silly in a boxing match,
Leland
6/19/07 1:48:27PM
ncordless
6/19/07 3:39:19PM

Posted by phvcx_1337

Holyfield via first bare knuckle punch thrown KO
Ultimate_fighter
6/19/07 3:59:21PM
Kimbo is going to get KO-ed
mma4life
6/20/07 11:02:45PM
Ray Mercer by ko i think it will be a goo fight i think kimbo will get tierd fast
Leland
6/21/07 1:16:08PM
I'm gonna actually go for Kimbo this time. He seems like he is training hard. I guess ya can't really know until we see him debut. Only time will tell friends!
akumairon
6/24/07 1:05:34AM
I heard kimbo tapped him out
rcg916
6/24/07 2:08:01AM

Posted by akumairon

I heard kimbo tapped him out

spoiler forum.
Piccosaur
6/24/07 3:02:51AM
I don't like Kimbo.
Fanboy 1988
6/24/07 7:19:02AM
I guess his training with Bas paid off.
Piccosaur
6/24/07 11:58:22AM
Oh my.
Sargeant
6/24/07 1:41:33PM
The Only Reason Kimbo Lost that fight to Sean Gannon is because he didnt know what a true MMa fighter was at the time. how was he supposed to defend a guiolltine choke when he probably didnt know what one was? he's used to knocking people out, and thats it. but know that he's training with Bas and Randy, he's going to be even MORE of a beast than he was before. just look at last night.
rcg916
6/24/07 1:44:41PM

Posted by Sargeant

The Only Reason Kimbo Lost that fight to Sean Gannon is because he didnt know what a true MMa fighter was at the time. how was he supposed to defend a guiolltine choke when he probably didnt know what one was? he's used to knocking people out, and thats it. but know that he's training with Bas and Randy, he's going to be even MORE of a beast than he was before. just look at last night.

Kimbo was leading the standup against Gannon til he gassed... a minute in. Gannon beat him (standing)... The only reason he lost the fight to Gannon was he got knocked the heck out... Oh, and that was a street fight, which really shouldnt be used to gather info for a legit sporting contest. Just my opinion, but Im sure thousands agree. lol
JimiMak
6/24/07 3:48:26PM
Kimbo put in more work than most expected. He was also smart enuf to train with the best. Good gameplan put to work. A bit sloppy, but most ppl can't choke out a boxing champ on 2 mos training. He did pretty much what I expected, and I hope he takes this serious and does well. He could go from a joke to an inspirational story, who knows. Mercer looked like he hadn't trained to make any kind of adjustment in his game, but it's harder to teach an old (finely honed) dog new tricks. Kimbo didn't have years of training to change. He was a lump of clay. He's a tough mofo, he could do real well.
blkssncpt
6/24/07 8:45:13PM
Here is the link for the fight ...
http://www.filecabi.net/video/kimbo_vs_mercer.html
Tons33
6/25/07 9:12:11PM
I was at the fight. Kimbo definitely did train hard for this fight. But it was a very easy gameplan to execute and he did so props for that. They announced that he will fight Tank Abbott for his next fight. Thats the kind of fight i want to see. Tank is a brawler who will be able to stand up with kimbo. Should be interesting.

JOIN EAST COAST TOP TEAM!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
rcg916
6/25/07 9:31:29PM

Posted by Tons33

I was at the fight. Kimbo definitely did train hard for this fight. But it was a very easy gameplan to execute and he did so props for that. They announced that he will fight Tank Abbott for his next fight. Thats the kind of fight i want to see. Tank is a brawler who will be able to stand up with kimbo. Should be interesting.

JOIN EAST COAST TOP TEAM!

Itll be the same exact fight, since Tank cant wrestle for crap either.