Kimbo Slice Quits Boxing, Reportedly Set for Pro Wrestling Tournament

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo Slice Quits Boxing, Reportedly Set for Pro Wrestling Tournament
Next Page »
emfleek
1/18/11 2:44:27PM
So much for the great Kimbo Slice boxing experiment.

The former street fighting sensation turned MMA fighter abruptly quit his pursuit of becoming a boxing star in October, Slice's former promoter Jared Shaw told MMA Fighting.

"[Slice left the boxing training camp] due to some various injuries and to go film The Scorpion King. Upon his return, he didn't show me any interest in boxing, so we just decided for right now to put it to the side," Shaw said.

"In boxing, in order to be amongst the best in the world, he was going to have to put in double the work he was accustomed to. Due to the wear and tear on his body, he wasn't able to perform up to the standard we wanted him to."

LINK
xburbx
1/18/11 2:55:12PM
shocking
finnish_line
1/18/11 3:07:37PM

Gotta get paid!
Bubbles
1/18/11 3:23:56PM
that sucks. i was hoping he would fight RJJ
tallica62
1/18/11 3:42:18PM
he is shameless...just follow the benjamins
emfleek
1/18/11 3:54:57PM

Posted by tallica62

he is shameless...just follow the benjamins

I can't say I blame him.
shane
1/18/11 4:12:11PM
what a joke
teddythetuna
1/18/11 4:42:22PM
Just go away already.
sbulldavid
1/18/11 4:58:34PM
It's sad really, this is what happens when the bully believes his own hype. He went from being some big hype machine to a big joke, then a humble student, now he's chasing the money before he turns into a hungry old man. I think that is what's best for him.
machodog76
1/18/11 4:59:29PM
I think it's a smart move, most of us would probably do the same thing if we were in his shoes, it's not like he was a real force in MMA.
warglory
1/18/11 5:02:45PM
Wow, look at the Kimbo hate! Why is everyone bashing on the man? He put a ton of effort into MMA, but his knees prevented him from excelling, so he moved to boxing, and it sounds like injuries were getting the best of him there too. The man is almost 40, and clearly did not treat his body the way he should have in his youth, so now he is paying for it. Why is it so bad that the man wants to keep making money off of the name he created? Josh Barnett, Don Drye, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Mike Tyson, Tank Abbott, and the list goes on and on of fighters who have gone to pro wrestling for pay days. Each and every one of you would do the same thing. It's easy money when you are already a big name draw. It's a no brainer, and a busted up Kimbo would be stupid to not take advantage of it.
warglory
1/18/11 5:05:06PM

Posted by sbulldavid

It's sad really, this is what happens when the bully believes his own hype. He went from being some big hype machine to a big joke, then a humble student, now he's chasing the money before he turns into a hungry old man. I think that is what's best for him.

What's sad about it? A man wanting to continue making a living?
emfleek
1/18/11 5:44:26PM

Posted by warglory

Wow, look at the Kimbo hate! Why is everyone bashing on the man? He put a ton of effort into MMA, but his knees prevented him from excelling, so he moved to boxing, and it sounds like injuries were getting the best of him there too. The man is almost 40, and clearly did not treat his body the way he should have in his youth, so now he is paying for it. Why is it so bad that the man wants to keep making money off of the name he created? Josh Barnett, Don Drye, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Mike Tyson, Tank Abbott, and the list goes on and on of fighters who have gone to pro wrestling for pay days. Each and every one of you would do the same thing. It's easy money when you are already a big name draw. It's a no brainer, and a busted up Kimbo would be stupid to not take advantage of it.

Posted by warglory

Posted by sbulldavid

machodog76
1/18/11 5:59:56PM
Ya how dare he try and make an honest living, he should just fight on smaller regional shows for tiny paychecks.
hackdog99
1/18/11 6:30:40PM
I think the kimbo hate is a little trendy. I don't believe people root against him and hate him as much as they let on. I enjoyed his MMA fights. I wish he would come back and fight some more MMA fights but against his own level, go back to fighting Tank Abbot's and Ken Shamrock and I would be happy to pay for it.

I was not sure why he thought boxing could pay him. You need to appeal to a different audience to sell a boxing PPV. It would take a while to become something in boxing other than a butterbean esque side show which doesn't really bring home the money.

Too bad, kimbo isn't going to be a good pro wrestler as he seems to take 10 minutes to respond to a yes or no question, not sure how he is going to remember his script.

FastKnockout
1/18/11 7:57:27PM
How can you quit something you never started?
Bubbles
1/18/11 11:01:49PM
he was training and was looking to get his boxing career started sometime this year
jae_1833
1/19/11 12:11:04AM
I think it's the best thing for him really; look if you keep things in perspective and realize that he hasn't forgotten who he is or where he came from then this really is a sound decision for a guy who doesn't have much else going for him in the retirement area of his life. A poor kid from the wrong side of town will deserve all the hatred when he is selling dope on the streets and enticing gang violence in our neighborhoods, not when he is in the entertainment business after falling out of the elite athlete field.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/19/11 5:36:26AM

Posted by warglory

I agree with you one hundred percent, but my only concern is that if injuries prevented him from doing MMA and Boxing, how in the HELL is he going to be a professional wrestler?

Stone Cold Steve Austin retired because his knees could no longer take the wear and tear on his body. I don't really see Kimbo's body allowing him to have much success in this, either. They'd really have to slow play his development.
vomitshovel
1/19/11 5:37:22AM
Anyone else here wish Kimbo would just go back to street fighting?
Hes a likable guy, and should stay where he wasn't getting beat up.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/19/11 6:00:37AM

Posted by vomitshovel

Anyone else here wish Kimbo would just go back to street fighting?
Hes a likable guy, and should stay where he wasn't getting beat up.

I'm sure if it paid as well as some of these other ventures, he just might. I wouldn't mind seeing another street fight. He just won't get paid as much for it.
xburbx
1/19/11 9:21:15AM
I think his first WWE match should be against the old school youtube video guy where he messed up his eye socket in the back yard.
Franklinfan47
1/19/11 11:09:18AM
Why is this even in an mma forum? I thought this site was for mma, not pro wrestling.

Listen, I wanted to see Kimbo do well in mma as much as anyone, but he's moved on from it. Lets move on from him.
gartface
1/19/11 11:53:24AM
My sister works in the sports rehab clinic he goes to down in Ft. Lauderdale/Boca, and she said that he used to come in with a big entourage, but now just comes in by himself. I guess he needs to make some bank, and he'd likely make it a lot easier in pro wrestling than in small mma shows.

Get paid man! That's what it's all about! I'd sell out in a minute too. 100%
sbulldavid
1/19/11 12:07:41PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by sbulldavid

Dude, I'm sympathetic, because we saw every color this man had to show, he just made the mistake of believing he was great, how is that Kimbo hate?
DARRYL_Ledonne
1/19/11 12:08:16PM
Nothing to worry!!
CCPRIDE99
1/19/11 3:00:41PM
why the hell doesnt the wwe pick this guy up??
BlueSkiesBurn
1/19/11 3:50:41PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Why is this even in an mma forum? I thought this site was for mma, not pro wrestling.

Listen, I wanted to see Kimbo do well in mma as much as anyone, but he's moved on from it. Lets move on from him.

Because he's a former MMA fighter trying his hand in a wrestling promotion operated by a man who fought MMA and is respected in both professional wrestling and MMA?
Franklinfan47
1/19/11 7:02:23PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Franklinfan47

Because he's a former MMA fighter trying his hand in a wrestling promotion operated by a man who fought MMA and is respected in both professional wrestling and MMA?

So if Kimbo starts working at Mcdonalds tomorrow I gotta read about it because he used to be a fighter?

NEWS FLASH!: ANDY WANG STARTS EMPLOYMENT AT THE GAP THIS WEEK

And as for a promoter respected in mma- In japan maybe, but I think most fans and fighters over here dont even know who Inoki or whatever his name is.
Aether
1/19/11 7:41:13PM
man I don't get why people hate kimbo so much. The guy was always so humble any time I ever heard him speak. He was always the first to say that he was a complete newbie when it came to MMA, no one here would turn down the kind of money he was offered, no chance. Give the guy a break.
Pages: [1] 2