Kimbo Slice: ‘Now he can become the next mixed martial arts champion’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo Slice: ‘Now he can become the next mixed martial arts champion’
grappler0000
3/21/08 10:20:42AM
Check out the 10-second EliteXC commercial that aired on CBS last night during the NCAA tournament for the debut of “Saturday Night Fights” on May 31 below. Kimbo Slice is the centerpiece of the bit, which mentions the word “champion” in the teaser.

Is it possible that he’ll lock horns with Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva on fight night for the EliteXC heavyweight championship or is it just ambiguous advertising?

Link (w/ video)
rabbit915
3/21/08 10:25:34AM
This is the fight that i want for Kimbo Slice. Either he will lose and casual fans (uninformed people) will stop talking about how he is one of the best HWs in MMA or he will win and i will be okay with people saying that because he has beaten a top 25 HW.

I dont think that there is anyway EliteXC lets this happen because the chance of him losing is pretty high and they dont want to ruin one of their stars on their first network show.
grappler0000
3/21/08 10:29:20AM

Posted by rabbit915

This is the fight that i want for Kimbo Slice. Either he will lose and casual fans (uninformed people) will stop talking about how he is one of the best HWs in MMA or he will win and i will be okay with people saying that because he has beaten a top 25 HW.

I dont think that there is anyway EliteXC lets this happen because the chance of him losing is pretty high and they dont want to ruin one of their stars on their first network show.

I agree...the day that Kimbo loses, is the day that he becomes human to the casual fan, which means no more big pay days for Elite XC...I think they will ride the Kimbo hype machine 'til the wheels fall off.
McBee
3/21/08 11:29:30AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by rabbit915

I agree...the day that Kimbo loses, is the day that he becomes human to the casual fan, which means no more big pay days for Elite XC...I think they will ride the Kimbo hype machine 'til the wheels fall off.

Kimbo being the first thing seen on CBS is a huge misstep and will just fuel the fire opponents to the sport. They should have televised the even at the end of March, Shamrock, Cung Le, Shields all MMArtists not streetfighters trying to fool everyone that they are athletes
MondayNiteMauser
3/21/08 11:48:42AM
If the EliteXC is smart they will throw him Cabbage...That would be a war and it's a fight Kimbo is more than likely gonna win...I think Silva would smash him quick.
tberg420
3/21/08 12:28:25PM
Kimbo already lost years ago to Sean Gannon. He's going to get a can in this fight. Elite XC would be better off marketing the Lawler vs Smith fight even though that one is going to be one sided as well. I really hope that Elite XC does a good job with this show because if it doesn't then MMA on network tv is going to have a short life.
whardin19
3/21/08 2:05:06PM
I'm not a big fan of Kimbo myself. But man are you guys hating. Kimbo isn't as bad as you guys are saying. I do agree with everyone though. They can't afford for Kimbo to lose a fight this early being on television. If Kimbo is going to be the guy they promote. So they will feed him a can. Who? I have no idea.
grappler0000
3/21/08 2:25:29PM

Posted by whardin19

I'm not a big fan of Kimbo myself. But man are you guys hating. Kimbo isn't as bad as you guys are saying. I do agree with everyone though. They can't afford for Kimbo to lose a fight this early being on television. If Kimbo is going to be the guy they promote. So they will feed him a can. Who? I have no idea.

I don't have a problem with Kimbo, nor do I have a problem with building up a fighter...but if you're gonna make him the main event, at least give him some competition. IMO, main events should not be as lopsided as every Kimbo fight has been thus far. Elite XC has put all of their eggs in one basket, so of coarse they can't risk Kimbo losing until they have made a name for themselves with the casual fan...or until they find another headliner. Shaw makes plenty of claims in the media about how Kimbo can beat anyone in the UFC, yet he refuses to give anyone with a winning record the opportunity to fight him under his own roof...hypocrisy at its finest.
Near07
3/21/08 3:39:55PM
Just a commen't.. People keep bringing up the Sean Gannon fight, yeah Kimbo lost, but it really doesn't have anything to do with what Kimbo is doing now. I'm sure Kimbo learned from that and moved on a long time ago. Kimbo didn't have "official" training, the guy was a street fighter. I'm assuming that people bring it up to say that he is beatable, of course he is....that being said I would like to see him fight a worthy opponent, not a can. It's just dumb to bring up a loss, i don't know how many years ago, its like saying Anderson Silva isn't undefeatable he lost to Luiz Azeredo 8 years ago. Please don't think I compare Kimbo and Silva, i'm just using Silva as an example. Kimbo has a punchers chance and i guess we will find out soon enough if he is more than that.
bls1919
3/21/08 3:55:10PM
I like the commercial. I dont think he will be a champion anytime soon. With a lot of work he could beat silva. I mean if it went down today he still would have a punchers chance, and the man does throw bombs.
SpiderSilva
3/21/08 4:48:01PM
How did that have to do with him fighting Silva I didn't really get the impresson he would be fighting Bigfoot at all
WhiteWidow
3/21/08 6:33:07PM
Ferg vs Antonio Silva....id love to see Silva win that
Mayhem13
3/21/08 6:42:24PM
I dont think he is ready for Silva yet..he would probably get destroyed......its only his third fight...give him someone who will stand with him..throw...and probably lose..but make it exciting to watch... (Cabbage, Warpath, Thompson even)

and I hate when people bring up Gannon still..it was before Kimbo ever even trained in MMA...and it was still close..he would crush Gannon now...
Ultimate_fighter
3/21/08 9:13:03PM

Posted by tberg420

Kimbo already lost years ago to Sean Gannon. He's going to get a can in this fight. Elite XC would be better off marketing the Lawler vs Smith fight even though that one is going to be one sided as well. I really hope that Elite XC does a good job with this show because if it doesn't then MMA on network tv is going to have a short life.

Yea Sean Gannon was a cop. After he defeated Kimbo he thought he was tuf shit then had a fight in the UFC. He fought Brandon - Lee - Hinkle and Hinkle won 1st Round tko 4 minutes. Domination it was. If kimbo ever comes to UFC, which he wont becuz Dana would not allow it. He was get his ass handed to him!
imanidiot777
3/22/08 10:47:12AM
When his EliteXC contract is up Dana will most definitely allow it. He allowed a WWE superstar in, not because he's already a great fighter, but because he's a big name and has potential. Kimbo is the exact same thing, he obviously has potential and hes definitely a big name.
MondayNiteMauser
3/22/08 12:54:20PM

Posted by imanidiot777

When his EliteXC contract is up Dana will most definitely allow it. He allowed a WWE superstar in, not because he's already a great fighter, but because he's a big name and has potential. Kimbo is the exact same thing, he obviously has potential and hes definitely a big name.

Kimbo has no where near the potential or amature background of Lesnar...He would get washed in the UFC. Bring him in and have him fight someone like Brandon Vera and watch what happens.
Gipper
3/22/08 1:32:25PM
he needs a lot of work before he'll be able to compete with the top 10 hw's in the world.