kimbo slice a legitimate mma hw?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » kimbo slice a legitimate mma hw?
jocksmall
8/29/07 11:46:18PM
i have seen 8 or 9 kimbo fights against a bunch of nobodies and ray mercer(washed up ) . he is not proven but something is special about this guy . does anyone think he has a chance of being a force in the hw division now that bas ruten is training him? he will fight tank in early sept. has anyone else seen potential in this street fighter from miami?
Taylor8766
8/30/07 12:08:15AM
I don't see any potential in him,I mean he's taking on guys that are way past there prime, and saying that he's gunna knock them out, to me I don't see any potential in him until he fights a legitamate HW MMA fighter, not fighters that are old and are past there prime. And if he decides to stay in CFFC I would like to see him fight someone like Marcio Cruz who is also in CFFC, and if he wins that fight I could see him as a posible legitament HW, but if he's beating guys like Mercer who is past his prime and doesn't even train in MMA, and Tank Abbott who is way past his prime, then I don't see him as a legitament HW contender.
LR
8/30/07 9:37:55AM
I've heard numerous fighters at his camp say he hits harder than almost anyone they've went against. So in a standup battle, he'd be devastating. His ground game obviously would need tons of work.
fullerene
8/30/07 9:53:54AM
His boxing technique is pretty good and he's a tough guy. That's a decent starting point if he wants to take things seriously. He was doing some training with Bas Rutten before the Mercer fight and Bas spoke highly of him. At his age, I doubt he'll ever be a title contender, but I think he can be a force on small shows and he'll probably get shot as a name opponent on a UFC undercard if he wins a few of those.

What do you mean by "legitimate"? He's competed in MMA rules matches already.
JimiMak
8/30/07 5:27:05PM
He just started. So far he has done well transitioning to legit fighting. It's too early to tell whether he'll ever be any good. He's legit either way, he put away the street brawls to try the real game. Props to him for even trying at his age.
rcg916
8/30/07 6:08:12PM
Regardless of his skill level, which we are unsure of, one thing is true for sure... His age is against him, so if hes going to get serious, now is the time.

I think his attitude seems to be in the right place, so I wont count him out yet
pv3Hpv3p
8/30/07 6:24:09PM
I didn't think he was that old... I peeked around and it seems like he was born in 76... That would make him all of 31?

It also seems like he gets a really bad wrap... And people make a lot of assumptions about him... I don't think he's ever been to prison (or at least he says he hasn't)... He went to college (but didn't graduate) on an academic scholarship, and in any interview I've seen / read of him he seems like a genuinely good guy... I guess he's had different ways of making a living, but hey, a lot of people have, and I'm not one to judge...

He might have started a little late, but it seems he's got lots of experience fighting in general which is a start and affiliating himself with Bas is def a step in the right direction... He's got physical tools, who knows
jocksmall
8/30/07 8:07:03PM

Posted by fullerene

His boxing technique is pretty good and he's a tough guy. That's a decent starting point if he wants to take things seriously. He was doing some training with Bas Rutten before the Mercer fight and Bas spoke highly of him. At his age, I doubt he'll ever be a title contender, but I think he can be a force on small shows and he'll probably get shot as a name opponent on a UFC undercard if he wins a few of those.

What do you mean by "legitimate"? He's competed in MMA rules matches already.

well i have seen most of his fights and was wondering what his chances of being on ufc cards regularly. i think he would be a crowd favorite if he could win his fair share in the ufc but that is easier said than done. by legitimate i meant could he earn a contract with the ufc a compete at that high of a level
rcg916
8/30/07 9:02:32PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I didn't think he was that old... I peeked around and it seems like he was born in 76... That would make him all of 31?

It also seems like he gets a really bad wrap... And people make a lot of assumptions about him... I don't think he's ever been to prison (or at least he says he hasn't)... He went to college (but didn't graduate) on an academic scholarship, and in any interview I've seen / read of him he seems like a genuinely good guy... I guess he's had different ways of making a living, but hey, a lot of people have, and I'm not one to judge...

He might have started a little late, but it seems he's got lots of experience fighting in general which is a start and affiliating himself with Bas is def a step in the right direction... He's got physical tools, who knows

Nah, its been around for a long time that all of the ages (and you will find 3 or 4 "official" ages for him) are bogus. He was nearing 35 at the time he fought Mercer.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/30/07 9:20:12PM
Slice is gunna fight Tank i beileve in October, he trains with Bas Rutten, has given up backyard fighting, has already had an MMA fight and won.......legitamit?