Kimbo Slice: Internet Sensation Turned ESPN Cover Guy

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo Slice: Internet Sensation Turned ESPN Cover Guy
DCRage
4/30/08 12:51:19PM
EliteXC fighter Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson is about to become the second MMA fighter to be featured on the front cover of ESPN The Magazine when he appears on a cover next month. No specific date was mentioned but it will be timed to coincide with the televised May 31 CBS event.

Article
DCRage
4/30/08 12:52:24PM
And of course there's the irony here because of who the first MMA fighter happened to be that got said ESPN magazine cover: Kimbo's new #1 fan, Chuck Liddell.
chubbud22
4/30/08 1:28:09PM
Wow they are rewarding Kimbo again for accomplishing absolutely nothing yet
grappler0000
4/30/08 1:28:58PM
Do you have a source that says he'll be on the cover? I'm not calling you out by any means, but I've seen a lot of rumors claiming the cover, but everything I've seen, including the video of the photo shoot, make no mention of it being on the actual cover.
silverbullet
4/30/08 1:29:32PM
link?
loonytnt
4/30/08 1:44:25PM
espn= knows nothing about mma so i dont care kimbo will lose when he fights someone good
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/30/08 2:29:05PM
Link

There's the link. I posted it in the MMA Lounge yesterday also.
wolfman
4/30/08 2:41:08PM
Already been posted and no link... Shame on you Mr. News Mogul.
DCRage
4/30/08 3:07:09PM
Don't blame me. Blame my pathetic work PC, that's where I posted this. Thought I included the link but didn't realize it until now. (That's what happens when I have Pepsi with breakfast instead of Dr. Pepper)
gsquat
4/30/08 3:20:52PM
Boooo to Kevin Ferguson. Bad for MMA.
fullfighting
4/30/08 6:36:18PM
This is ridiculous if it happens. There are idiots out there, who don't follow MMA that think Kimbo is the best fighter in this sport. Just the other day I'm talking to a group of guys and telling them I was going to watch the UFC fights that night. One guy says "isn't that what that Kimbo guy does" and then another remarked about how awesome and scary Kimbo was. I said yeah he seems to be pretty talented but he's not even close to the top of the sport and he hasn't beat anybody. Long story short, they didn't believe me and they all thought Kimbo was the toughest guy in MMA. I left pissed off.
Darnok
4/30/08 7:30:30PM

Posted by fullfighting

This is ridiculous if it happens. There are idiots out there, who don't follow MMA that think Kimbo is the best fighter in this sport. Just the other day I'm talking to a group of guys and telling them I was going to watch the UFC fights that night. One guy says "isn't that what that Kimbo guy does" and then another remarked about how awesome and scary Kimbo was. I said yeah he seems to be pretty talented but he's not even close to the top of the sport and he hasn't beat anybody. Long story short, they didn't believe me and they all thought Kimbo was the toughest guy in MMA. I left pissed off.

Some people are so niave
danielb263
4/30/08 7:46:29PM
I honestly like kimbo slice, but there is no way he should be on Sports ill. I mean come on he hasn't foght anyone good. Jesus whats next Brock Lesnar.
jakeiceman
5/1/08 2:49:04AM
Kimbo is a straight up douche and yes this is fighter bashing. The guy is a nobody that is getting more attention than he deserves. I cant stand listening to the guy talk, it sounds like he never made it past the 5th grade reading level.
Near07
5/1/08 3:24:04AM
Chucks a little slow when it comes to taking too, or falls asleep while talking lol. I'm not sure why Kimbo is a douche.... I don't agree with him being on the cover of the magazine.... Its a bit bizarre. But he does get people's attention wether its good or bad, and thats how magazines sell. I'm sure alot of fighters are not well educated, i know there are lots who are but i bet just as many who are not. Kimbo talks like that because he is from the streets...Its funny how he gets bashed for fighting on the streets, because where do all fighters come from, fighting in school/streets, it started somewhere. Kimbo was smart to film his fights and put them on youtube, he may not be a top ranked fighter, but he's doing well for himself. And people wondering if Kimbo can take a punch, watch hi one backyard fight where he gives the guy (whos huge) a few free punches right on the chin, and it pumped kimbo up lol. Only time will tell, on how kimbo will turn out, I'm sure he must be learning some mma skills by now training with Bas, I think he will be around for a while, so love him or hate him.
DCRage
5/1/08 6:47:30AM

Posted by gsquat

That I have to disagree with just a little bit, specifically the "Bad for MMA" part. It's more publicity which can bring in more fans, sponsors, etc. and eventually more money-as a whole that actually can be good for MMA as it tries to expand and become more mainstream. This is exposure EXC and MMA can use ahead of the big CBS debut, that could lead to bigger and better things if it comes off well.
Darnok
5/1/08 11:03:02AM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by gsquat

That I have to disagree with just a little bit, specifically the "Bad for MMA" part. It's more publicity which can bring in more fans, sponsors, etc. and eventually more money-as a whole that actually can be good for MMA as it tries to expand and become more mainstream. This is exposure EXC and MMA can use ahead of the big CBS debut, that could lead to bigger and better things if it comes off well.

But is bad for MMA because the person getting the attention is not an MMA fighter he is a thug. It should be someone that at least knows what an armbar is.
Red-Dragon
5/1/08 1:31:48PM
WAR Kimbo LOL

People just cant stop talking about him. He is raising awareness for MMA and hasnt done a lot wrong since he has been representing the sport.
Near07
5/1/08 2:51:54PM
He was a "thug", and now an mma fighter, I'm sure he know what an armbar is lol He is a brawler like Chris Leban, Houston Alexander, and even Mr. Liddell, he loves to fight just like all fighters. I'm with the guy above "WAR KIMBO", Rags to riches at its finest!!
jiujitsufreak74
5/1/08 3:10:01PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by gsquat

yes but it is the type of the exposure that is bad for the sport. it is not so much Kimbo's fault rather then the way Shaw markets him, but regardless who is to blame it is bad to have him on this cover imo. he is an over glorified street brawler and marketing him as such brings a dark clout to MMA. he embodies the negative stereotype MMA has been trying to shake for years. instead, this magazine should feature Anderson Silva and show a true mixed martial artist instead of some sideshow.
telnights
5/1/08 3:35:01PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74
yes but it is the type of the exposure that is bad for the sport. it is not so much Kimbo's fault rather then the way Shaw markets him, but regardless who is to blame it is bad to have him on this cover imo. he is an over glorified street brawler and marketing him as such brings a dark clout to MMA. he embodies the negative stereotype MMA has been trying to shake for years. instead, this magazine should feature Anderson Silva and show a true mixed martial artist instead of some sideshow.

10000000%
hdnet_mma
5/1/08 5:11:19PM
cant decide if this is good or bad for the sport
jakeiceman
5/7/08 5:06:31PM

Posted by Near07

Chucks a little slow when it comes to taking too, or falls asleep while talking lol. I'm not sure why Kimbo is a douche.... I don't agree with him being on the cover of the magazine.... Its a bit bizarre. But he does get people's attention wether its good or bad, and thats how magazines sell. I'm sure alot of fighters are not well educated, i know there are lots who are but i bet just as many who are not. Kimbo talks like that because he is from the streets...Its funny how he gets bashed for fighting on the streets, because where do all fighters come from, fighting in school/streets, it started somewhere. Kimbo was smart to film his fights and put them on youtube, he may not be a top ranked fighter, but he's doing well for himself. And people wondering if Kimbo can take a punch, watch hi one backyard fight where he gives the guy (whos huge) a few free punches right on the chin, and it pumped kimbo up lol. Only time will tell, on how kimbo will turn out, I'm sure he must be learning some mma skills by now training with Bas, I think he will be around for a while, so love him or hate him.

Well Liddell is a college graduate and is actually a very smart guy, he probably talks slow because he is thinking....as far as the falling asleep part....even I have to admit that was hilarious....ha ha....I refuse to believe it was drugs, the guy gets alot a tail, he was probably just up late.