Kimbo Slice: ‘I don’t mind being a gatekeeper’ for UFC heavyweight division

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo Slice: ‘I don’t mind being a gatekeeper’ for UFC heavyweight division
SmileR
7/14/09 2:43:03PM
“I guess it’s safe to say I don’t mind being a gatekeeper. Eventually, you got something you want to get. A drive for something, you know what I’m saying? And I guess I’m still searching for that inner me, I’m still searching for something. Until I find it, and until my fire is done, I’m a fighter…. Eventually, you want that title around your waist, that’s eventually the goal. But it don’t happen, just line them up.”

Less than confident words from the preseason star of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10, Kimbo Slice. UFC President Dana White shocked the mixed martial arts community not too long ago, announcing that the former bareknuckle Miami street brawler had taken him up on his offer to compete on the tournament-style Spike TV-produced program. His timing may not be the best — TUF 10 features former IFL champion, Roy Nelson, UFC veteran Wes Sims and several former NFL players, among others. So will Slice prove White (who predicted he would never win a TUF show back in Oct. 2008 when he first made the bold offer) and all the other doubters wrong or can he hang with the big boys? Find out on Sept. 16, 2009, at 10 p.m. ET on Spike TV. For now, have at it in the comments section below.

Link
shevtheman
7/14/09 7:07:26PM
Anyone else get the feeling these comments are suggesting he didn't do too well?
Wallass
7/14/09 7:25:57PM
This is such a stupid statement. Kongo and Gonzaga seem to be the gatekeepers on the UFC Heavyweights and Kimbo hasnt even earned the right to even say this. WAR EVERYONE IN THE UFC 10 HOUSE OTHER THAN KIMBO
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/14/09 7:33:59PM
pffff, come on kimbo, get real, ya still got long ways to go to reach the gatekeeper level.
whardin19
7/14/09 8:05:25PM
I'd like to know what brought this topic up. Did he do really bad on the show?
Jackelope
7/14/09 9:31:51PM
Similar to Lesnar, this guy just can't win no matter what he says. There's some humble remarks being made and yet the dude still gets slammed, lol.
gartface
7/14/09 9:48:11PM

Posted by Wallass This is such a stupid statement. Kongo and Gonzaga seem to be the gatekeepers on the UFC Heavyweights and Kimbo hasnt even earned the right to even say this. WAR EVERYONE IN THE UFC 10 HOUSE OTHER THAN KIMBO
I think like Jackelope said, his comments are being taken the wrong way. I see this as being a very humble thing to say. I like the humility the guy shows.
emfleek
7/15/09 8:55:22AM

Posted by Jackelope

Similar to Lesnar, this guy just can't win no matter what he says. There's some humble remarks being made and yet the dude still gets slammed, lol.

He's always going to be under a microscope simply because he's not your basic run-of-the-mill MMA fighter.

Anyone that was famous/popular before fighting in MMA will face the same kind of scrutiny.
DCRage
7/15/09 9:00:52AM
He just wants his bread.