Kimbo Slice on cover of ESPN Magazine

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kimbo Slice on cover of ESPN Magazine
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/29/08 5:59:27PM
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/29/08 6:02:23PM
IMO, I think Anderson Silva would have been better for the cover. I think the UFC logo is more marketable and putting arguably the best fighter p4p in the world on the cover would have been better.
bigbubbano23
4/29/08 6:14:44PM
Kracker_Jap
4/29/08 8:18:28PM
Sorry but that is Bullash*t I new there was a reason I canceled that mag
Mchubb316
4/29/08 9:15:09PM
Anderson is arguably the best P4P fighter in the world, and would be a great choice for the cover. Kimbo is big right now, especially to the people who don't get MMA as a whole. I would assume that sadly enough more people in general know about Kimbo more than they know about Anderson.

Think about where ESPN is coming from. Some guy who sees the cover and is staring at Kimbo, who is very frightining looking, will say that that dude is an animal and would kill anyone. Where as if they saw Anderson, they would just see a skinny black guy, not a world class striker, with devastating knees, a black belt in BJJ....and so on

Just my thoughts.
emfleek
4/29/08 10:44:52PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Sorry but that is Bullash*t I new there was a reason I canceled that mag

I'm a huge sports fan and I love ESPN...but I'm with you. The magazine is crap.
JimiMak
4/29/08 11:46:14PM
does anyone care? i didnt even know about this mag.
SerraLeben
4/30/08 12:01:01AM
Who .. cares? Kimbo is a popular fighter so therefor I think he deserves it. Yes there could of been better choices for the cover, but it really comes down to how well liked the guy is. A lot of people will just buy it because he is on the cover. He is very recognizable probs more so then Anderson Silva.
jiujitsufreak74
4/30/08 12:03:57AM

Posted by SerraLeben
He is very recognizable probs more so then Anderson Silva.

and that is the problem. he is an over glorified street brawler at this point. it isn't so much his fault but rather the way Shaw markets him but his popularity as a thug is bad for the sport. i think ESPN should put Anderson Silva on the cover and market a true mixed martial artist.
loonytnt
4/30/08 1:59:30PM
espn need to keep boxing and dont go into mma they know nothing about it