Did Kimbo Slice Close The Door On EliteXC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Did Kimbo Slice Close The Door On EliteXC
MMAcca
4/29/09 2:24:26PM
There were several theories that floated around after the demise of EliteXC as to why the once thriving company closed its doors in 2008, shortly after its final CBS show in October, and a loss by their most marketed fighter, Kimbo Slice. But was Kimbo to blame for the company's downfall or simply a catalyst to draw the end closer?

According to former EliteXC vice president Jared Shaw, Kimbo was in an impossibly tough position with his place in the company, with the fans, and with the MMA industry in general.

Shaw says that there were much bigger problems going on at EliteXC that had nothing to do with Kimbo or his short notice loss to Seth Petruzelli that served as the promotion's last televised show.

LINK
mrsmiley
4/29/09 2:39:14PM
Interesting read.
Though I think Shaw is being a bet over the top in some aspects.
He said Kimbo didn't have a good camp?
If he's talking fight camp then he really should issue an apology to Bas Rutten for saying that.

I would say Kimbo was more than the "face" of Elite XC.
Had the promotion survived 3-6 months longer they probably would have changed the name to "Kimbo's Elite XC Challenge."

I can believe their were more issues going on,but I would still say Kimbo's defeat to Petruzelli was still the biggest nail in the coffin.
JimiMak
4/29/09 4:32:15PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Interesting read.
If he's talking fight camp then he really should issue an apology to Bas Rutten for saying that.

I would say Kimbo was more than the "face" of Elite XC.
Had the promotion survived 3-6 months longer they probably would have changed the name to "Kimbo's Elite XC Challenge."

I can believe their were more issues going on,but I would still say Kimbo's defeat to Petruzelli was still the biggest nail in the coffin.

Hadn't he left Bas' camp by then? I thought he had.
sclasclemski
4/29/09 5:18:36PM
no he was with Bas but apparently he wasn't doing the things Bas was teaching him so Bas dropped him...as I understand it
postman
4/29/09 6:13:10PM
Kimbos loss wasn't the problem it was the Shaws turning him into something he wans't they have no one to blam but themselves.
IriShame
4/29/09 11:10:00PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Interesting read.

Oh ****! I wouldn't want Bas pissed at me. Better clear this one up soon Shaw or your liver is in trouble.
mrsmiley
4/30/09 7:31:18AM

Posted by IriShame

Posted by mrsmiley

Interesting read.

Oh ****! I wouldn't want Bas pissed at me. Better clear this one up soon Shaw or your liver is in trouble.

LOL.

Yeah you never know were Bas might pop up.
GDK
4/30/09 8:37:41AM

Posted by postman

Kimbos loss wasn't the problem it was the Shaws turning him into something he wans't they have no one to blam but themselves.

Shaw has a big cocaine problem
That's the problem