Kimbo Slice vs Bob Sapp!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kimbo Slice vs Bob Sapp!!!!
POLL: Kimbo Slice vs Bob Sapp
Kimbo Slice 58% (31)
Bob Sapp 42% (22)
matt_fromm
2/18/08 5:41:53AM
Just Hypothetical... But who do you think would win between Kimbo Slice and Bob Sapp. I might have to go with Bob Sapp just because of the weight and experience advantage he has. But, Kimbo is a straight up ANIMAL!!! Tough to call...
loonytnt
2/18/08 7:01:38AM
i think it be a fun fight to watch but i think kimbo may KO him
ohiostate1016
2/18/08 7:25:29AM
Kimbo by decis...no, K f'n O!
drunkel
2/18/08 8:49:36AM
No love for Sapp?
Sapp would KO Slice and take his bread.
jae_1833
2/18/08 2:07:01PM
Gonna have to go with Sapp for the kickboxing skills, wieght advantage, but it would be great that is for sure!
Pookie
2/18/08 2:28:15PM
kimbo would make sapp cry... again.
fullerene
2/18/08 3:14:43PM
I'll reply since I 've heard this fight actually talked about. I'd favor Sapp because of size and experience. He lost badly to CroCop and Fujita, but he's beat or drawed with Lebanner, Abidi, Hoost and he made it out of the first round with Bonjasky and Big Nog. It's tough to imagine Kimbo's boxing giving him anything these guys didn't show and Kimbo likely doesn't have the ground game or wrestling to avoid getting smothered and overwhelmed on the ground.
gartface
2/18/08 4:12:55PM

Posted by fullerene

I'll reply since I 've heard this fight actually talked about. I'd favor Sapp because of size and experience. He lost badly to CroCop and Fujita, but he's beat or drawed with Lebanner, Abidi, Hoost and he made it out of the first round with Bonjasky and Big Nog. It's tough to imagine Kimbo's boxing giving him anything these guys didn't show and Kimbo likely doesn't have the ground game or wrestling to avoid getting smothered and overwhelmed on the ground.

I'm interested to see what his ground game is like, he's been training with Bas for a while, and Bas is pretty damn good on the ground. I know it's not saying much by submitting a 40+ year old boxer, but he guillotined Ray Mercer.

I think Kevin Ferguson would knock out Bob Sapp. The guy has an amazing chin, just watch his street fight when he knocked the dudes eye out of the socket. He leans in and asks the guy to hit him, the guy does, and it does nothing. This was without gloves...I know it's early and he's only fought cans, but I'm liking what I'm seeing out of Kevin Ferguson.
fullerene
2/18/08 8:04:51PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by fullerene

I'm interested to see what his ground game is like, he's been training with Bas for a while, and Bas is pretty damn good on the ground. I know it's not saying much by submitting a 40+ year old boxer, but he guillotined Ray Mercer.

I think Kevin Ferguson would knock out Bob Sapp. The guy has an amazing chin, just watch his street fight when he knocked the dudes eye out of the socket. He leans in and asks the guy to hit him, the guy does, and it does nothing. This was without gloves...I know it's early and he's only fought cans, but I'm liking what I'm seeing out of Kevin Ferguson.

I don't think what you're saying is unreasonable, but I don't think you can compare punching power or technique with Kevin Ferguson (I'll stick with what you're calling him) and guys who've fought at the highest level of K-1 or, in a couple of cases, have boxing experience. I'm not sure of this, but I think KF first went to boxing gyms in the Miami area to see if he could make a transition from streetfighting that way. The fact that he didn't pursue that avenue tells me that he probably had trouble in some of those early sparring sessions like a lot of street fighters (including famous guys like the Governur) do.

He is faster and more serious about the sport than Sapp, but he's in his mid 30s and I don't know if he has time to develop a complete game beyond punching power, decent punching technique and a great chin. With Sapop I think overpowering him with punches is probably the least effective strategy you can employ. Just my opinion, though. I'd actually be rooting for KF since he is taking an opportunity to do something legit and training hard to make it happen.
gartface
2/18/08 10:24:23PM
Yeah, after reading what you said I guess I could have worded it a little better. I agree with you about it though. I'd love to see the fight, and would love for Ferguson to make Sapp cry like Crocop did.

If he can develop as fast as Bas Rutten is making it out to be, I think he might be able to be something. Not saying he'll ever crack the top 10, but it'd be interesting to see.
loonytnt
2/18/08 11:49:27PM
give kimbo tyson imo
ncordless
2/19/08 12:36:28AM
Kimbo would need to take Sapp to his back to have an advantage.

Sapp's striking may be the ugliest in history, but I've also seen him just overwhelm world class strikers. I've seen Kimbo overwhelm opponents, but they were all bums (including an over the hill Tank)

What little we've seen of Sapp in MMA, his real bread and butter is his (literally) smothering GnP. Watch the Sapp/Nog fight, do you think Kimbo's training in grappling is enough to pull off the armbar? I doubt it. Kimbo has taken some on the chin, but I'm not sure he survives long if Sapp get's top position.

Kimbo's chance is getting Sapp on his back, where Bob looks not unlike a turtle lying back on it's shell. Thing is, shooting a double against Bob runs the risk of having your neck broke by a piledriver. For those of you who think that Sapp couldn't do that to Kimbo, check this. Kimbo gives up over 100 pounds to Sapp just like Big Nog. If Sapp broke Kimbo's neck in a cage in California, it might spell the death of MMA. That would be bad. Kimbo's best bet to get Sapp to his bsck is to clinch and initiate scrambles where he can use his considerable speed advantage to get on top of Bobby.

Overall I'd say 70-30 Sapp wins by huge guy maul.

In general I think that fighting the super huge freakshow fighters requires a top notch submission game. Genki/Butterbean, Nog/Sapp, Fedor/Choi, and Minowa/almost everyone are good examples.
whardin19
2/19/08 7:20:27AM
I would have to go with Kimbo in this fight. Kimbo is a very fast Heavyweight. Although Sapp could take him out fast. But I'm not too into this fight I want to see Kimbo fight Ken Shamrock.
Biggee
2/19/08 9:27:44AM
Kimbo easily! First off, Bob Sapp could not knock out Kimbo, honestly i dont think kimbo can be knocked out. And everyone knows you go loner then a minute with bob sapp, hes about to die anyways from horrible endurance. Kimbo would dominate him, i was watching kimbo 3 yrs ago in backyard fights, he would dominate bob fag sapp
gravy13
2/19/08 11:28:05PM
I can't believe people are actually picking Sapp in this fight.

I'm not saying that Kimbo is an amazing MMA fight, but he is a good fighter. I saw in another thread that someone said Kimbo is a sideshow, I'd say Sapp is the real MMA sideshow.
number0
3/25/08 2:52:28PM
I'd go for Sapp.Dont get me wrong i've seen kimbo in action he really is crazy.But Sapp is just as big, has more experience.He faught everywhere almost.This would be a really great test kimbo's game.
Mayhem13
3/25/08 8:47:59PM
Sapp doesnt like to get hit anymore...and when he does he finds away out...

I say Kimbo by TKO
coldchillin
3/25/08 8:48:42PM
I would have to go with Kimbo here as Sapp has been stated that he doesn't train that much anymore because of his Japanese ventures and is always busy.

I would have to admit this would be a great fight to help promote Elite's first telecast on CBS. There's no way I wouldn't tune in to watch it.
chubbud22
3/25/08 8:52:18PM
Sapp cant even stand up with Giant Norjte, Kimbo would destroy him.
jgtribbett
3/25/08 9:16:39PM
kimboby ko or sub..i think he'll finish sapp and honestly i think taht bas will have him try subs...