Kimbo vs Ray Mercer

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kimbo vs Ray Mercer
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 12:23:00PM
Looks like they're fighting at Cage Fury Fighting Championships 5.

I've personally never seen CFFC, so I don't know what it's all about but either way, there you go...

source
cowcatcher
3/23/07 1:00:16PM
wow, i dont even know who to pick in this one. mercer is no spring chicken but he is a former champ which is a big step up from the sean gannons of the world. i might be interested in seeing this one, but id expect a sloppy MMA fight that would just b a pier six brawl
hippysmacker
3/23/07 1:34:16PM
I wish it was a real MMA fighter against Mercer, just to show Jim Lampley what happns to a boxer in a MMA fight. It will be funny if one gets hurt and actually goes for a takedown.
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 1:37:30PM
In the article it stated that Mercer had fought in K1, anyone catch any of those fights? Did he just get taken down and subbed? Was it K1kickboxing(no ground game)?

Hippy-

Lampley is such a boxing nut hugger that I'm sure he would come up with some excuse as to how Mercer didn't exemplify what boxing is all about, blah blah blah...

There's just no arguing with those types of people
migo
3/23/07 4:07:43PM
Bonjasky right kicked him in the head a few seconds in. Mercer gave up because he became disoriented.

Kimbo's not being trained to go for takedowns or subs, the focus is mainly on punches and elbows for him. Not sure what the Avellan brothers are thinking with this, the logical thing would be to train him to go for the takedown and win from mount.
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 4:20:41PM

Posted by migo

Bonjasky right kicked him in the head a few seconds in. Mercer gave up because he became disoriented.

Kimbo's not being trained to go for takedowns or subs, the focus is mainly on punches and elbows for him. Not sure what the Avellan brothers are thinking with this, the logical thing would be to train him to go for the takedown and win from mount.

Maybe Kimbo just wants to prove himself against a boxer and stand with him...

All in all,never cared for Mercer much, but I hope he KTFO's Kimbo after beating on him for a few minutes...
cowcatcher
3/23/07 4:25:14PM

Posted by migo

for k-1 to feed mercer to bonjasky is brutal, almost makes me feel sorry for him
JimiMak
3/23/07 11:00:25PM
I HOPE and PRAY that Kimbo gets absolutely lit up. Don't know enough about Mercer yet (have to look up some vids) but if he's a competent boxer who can compare weight and punching power wise, I don't think there should be a problem. Though for the sake of argument, if I were training Kimbo I'd try to teach him to finish in mount as well.
Svartorm
3/24/07 1:58:09AM
Mercer had two fights in K-1 under kickboxing rules. He lost a decision to Musashi, and then the aforementioned head kick from Bonjaski.

This is really tough to call. On one hand, Mercer has more experience and is technically better. Hes also in better shape, even for an older guy, as Kimbo can't keep himself composed and gasses in under a minute.

On the other, hes used to fighting with boxing gloves, as opposed to MMA gloves, which drastically change the game, and Kimbo is used to bare-knuckle fights. Kimbo also has a granite head and I doubt Mercer still has the power to KO someone like Kimbo.

My prediction is that Kimbo will rough Mercer up for a minute or two, gas and Mercer will pulp his face with jabs. Mercer by tko (cut) or ref stoppage at the end of the first.
hathcock32
3/24/07 4:11:50AM
I acually would really like to see this match. Its funny some of my friends no absolutely nothing about MMA. And were showing me videos of Kimbo a while back. And i of course told them he would get killed in the UFC. It will nice to see him get murdered.
Rush
3/24/07 11:40:10AM

Posted by hathcock32

I acually would really like to see this match. Its funny some of my friends no absolutely nothing about MMA. And were showing me videos of Kimbo a while back. And i of course told them he would get killed in the UFC. It will nice to see him get murdered.

I agree. Kimbo is overrated
JimiMak
3/24/07 9:37:11PM

Posted by hathcock32

I'm in the exact same boat. I can't wait to see Kimbo fight a real fighter. Also Tyson fighting someone like Hunt (under any rules) would shut up a lot of the same ppl, at least this appears like it'll happen.
Stickan
3/25/07 12:34:36AM
I hope Kimbo dies.
Lay_N_Pray
3/25/07 4:31:22PM
I don't see why people say Kimbo has an iron chin. Who has he been hit by, Sean Gannon? Please, if Kimbo gets hit by a world class boxer (assuming he comes in shape) and doesn't go down, then there could be an argument.

I think Mercer will circle Kimbo for a minute or so, Kimbo will already be tired as hell and then Mercer lands a big hook Kimbo goes down and the fight is over in 2:30 at the most.
gimmper
3/25/07 10:20:31PM
What's Kimbo's full name?
www-WeLoan-us
3/26/07 9:05:48AM
stickan.. you would never say that to Kimbos face, but if you think you would I could arrange a meeting for you to say that. Let me know
pv3Hpv3p
3/26/07 11:01:05AM

Posted by gimmper

What's Kimbo's full name?

Kimbo Slice - as far as I know
Gogoplata
3/26/07 1:47:08PM

Posted by www-WeLoan-us

stickan.. you would never say that to Kimbos face, but if you think you would I could arrange a meeting for you to say that. Let me know

Are you one of Kimbo's boys or something? Both of these morons will get f'd up by true MMA fighters with MMA rules. Kimbo is strong and looks to have some boxing training or maybe it's because he's been fighting for BK Value Meals in people's backyards for so long that he looks like an OK boxer.

But is he really planning on standing toe to toe with Mercer, a former HW champion and Olympic medalist?

This is what you call a freakshow fight, just like Butterbean and Zulu will be, but much, much worse. I hope whoever wins gets real high and mighty and steps up to challenge a real MMA fighter. That's a recipe for a straight ass-whoppin'.

War Kimbo and Mercer getting owned!
migo
3/27/07 12:06:51AM
It's really funny how people (like Gogoplata) make such wide assumptions about fighters instead of doing research.
Gogoplata
3/27/07 11:50:58AM

Posted by migo

It's really funny how people (like Gogoplata) make such wide assumptions about fighters instead of doing research.

Please explain, I'm all ears.
Stickan
3/27/07 12:18:37PM

Posted by www-WeLoan-us

Nope I'd never say that to his face but what has that got to do with it? I still hope he dies. I don't like him.

Do I have to go to Afghanistan and tell Usama bin Laden that I hope he dies to be allowed to think that?(if he's still alive)
skiba97
3/27/07 1:15:40PM
man i hope kimbo gets kod so badly. Id rather he was fighting sombody who could get a quick take down and sub, just to make him look like an idiot, but i still think mercer should beable to take him.
Lay_N_Pray
3/27/07 3:28:48PM
Imagine if he had to fight Jeff Monson. That would be excellent. Monson would just take him down and knock him out nice and quick, not even going past the first round.
www-WeLoan-us
3/27/07 9:41:47PM
Yes I am one of his boys ...he is from my home town.
www-WeLoan-us
3/27/07 9:44:20PM
WOW....Comparing Osama Bin Ladin to Kimbo is a bit of a stretch dont you think??? I can understand why you would dislike Osama, but to wish death on someone is pretty powerful words. Maybe Kimbo beat you up and took your lunch money or something??? You should maybe chose your words more wisely..I am very suprised the Mods didnt already delete that statement you made.
gimmper
3/28/07 7:39:44PM
I went to youtube and watched kimbo fight...Ray Mercer will kill this guy...Ray is a gold medal olympic boxer who has been hit by the hardest punchers boxing has to offer...Kimbo will be light sparring for Mercer...and an easy payday