Kimbo Loves The City Of Japan Video

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kimbo Loves The City Of Japan Video
crushedbacon
12/9/08 12:23:16PM
postman
12/9/08 12:28:32PM
saw it live made me lol
cowcatcher
12/9/08 12:29:37PM
what??? its a nice city

Bowen50
12/9/08 2:25:16PM
Jackelope
12/9/08 3:58:03PM
Pretty funny

Still, gotta give the guy a break. It's a mistake almost anybody could have made
dannyfrank
12/9/08 5:06:10PM

Posted by Jackelope

Pretty funny

Still, gotta give the guy a break. It's a mistake almost anybody could have made

i know, but its still funny
postman
12/9/08 5:43:31PM

Posted by Jackelope

Pretty funny

I don't know cause he says city two times
JimiMak
12/9/08 6:12:32PM

Posted by Jackelope

Pretty funny

Ummm... no it's not.
Jackelope
12/9/08 6:27:13PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Jackelope

Pretty funny

Ummm... no it's not.

What's your logic for that?

Like I said, I think it's funny, but thinking of the position Kimbo grew up in I don't really blame him for it. I think a lot more people would slip up in the spotlight than they realize. I'm one of the first guys to laugh at Goldie for his screw ups (because that is his job- to be a professional commentator) but when a dude who normally isn't on the mic screws up I give them a pass. Especially when he was just trying to be nice to the Japanese anyway.

The dude grew up thuggish. In a lifestyle where school and all of that stuff didn't matter. Not that it's right, or an excuse by any means, but you take 90% of the guys out of the scene Kimbo was in and hardly any of them will be able to speak intelligently on any issue concerning politics, geography, or history. Let alone when there are millions of people watching at home on the TV just waiting to point out his screw ups. The way our society judges people and either puts them on a pedastal or takes every chance to knock them down available is a mystery to me. I dunno... I find myself feeling sorry for Kimbo in some respects, and hating him in others. I don't blame him for being a victim of his own hype, but then again I don't have much respect for his skills.

Meh, I don't want to turn this into a philosophy discussion. To each their own, but I think you, me, and many others who aren't professionals could slip up at any time on the mic. Somehow I guess you feel that's not possible though, eh?
crushedbacon
12/9/08 7:12:56PM
"you take 90% of the guys out of the scene Kimbo was in and hardly any of them will be able to speak intelligently on any issue concerning politics, geography, or history"

"The way our society judges people and either puts them on a pedastal or takes every chance to knock them down available is a mystery to me"

I'd imagine you can see where I'm going with this.......
Jackelope
12/9/08 7:21:48PM

Posted by crushedbacon

"you take 90% of the guys out of the scene Kimbo was in and hardly any of them will be able to speak intelligently on any issue concerning politics, geography, or history"

"The way our society judges people and either puts them on a pedastal or takes every chance to knock them down available is a mystery to me"

I'd imagine you can see where I'm going with this.......

Sure I can, but I don't think you're drawing the right lines.

EDIT: I deleted what I said because Warglory is right, and there's no sense getting into any kind of long discussion about it. I stand by my original comment in saying that anybody could have screwed up in the spotlight. It's just that not everybody is being scrutinized to the level Kimbo is
warglory
12/9/08 7:35:43PM
Come on guys, Kimbo obviously knows that Japan is a country and not a city, it's obvious he was nervous like most of us would be in his shoes. He probably meant to say the name of the city, or say "country of Japan" instead of city. It's a slip up, it happens to the best of us, our just don't get exploited thank God,
JimiMak
12/9/08 7:45:31PM
He had to fly to Japan, I'm not saying all mistakes are inexcusable or anything retarded like that. But to refer to Japan as a City TWICE. You're right in that any of us not paid to talk, and even the guys who are, can make a mistake... that's just a pretty huge one.

Other than that I've known ppl who grew up well (money, education) and made nothing of it and are ignorant. I've also known ppl who grew up like him but didn't let that keep them down. This world is what you make of what you're handed, not simply what you're handed. Someone who's thirty of forty has made the decisions in their life as to whether they want to remain ignorant or not, so I don't make excuses for him because of his background.

BTW I don't dislike Kimbo. I was glad when he was ko'd to knock his rep down to where it should be, but overall I think he seems like a nice respectable guy who could have a future if he keeps training properly. I just don't think that's a mistake that almost anyone would make, esp twice.
Jackelope
12/9/08 7:50:10PM

Posted by JimiMak

He had to fly to Japan, I'm not saying all mistakes are inexcusable or anything retarded like that. But to refer to Japan as a City TWICE. You're right in that any of us not paid to talk, and even the guys who are, can make a mistake... that's just a pretty huge one.

Other than that I've known ppl who grew up well (money, education) and made nothing of it and are ignorant. I've also known ppl who grew up like him but didn't let that keep them down. This world is what you make of what you're handed, not simply what you're handed. Someone who's thirty of forty has made the decisions in their life as to whether they want to remain ignorant or not, so I don't make excuses for him because of his background.

BTW I don't dislike Kimbo. I was glad when he was ko'd to knock his rep down to where it should be, but overall I think he seems like a nice respectable guy who could have a future if he keeps training properly. I just don't think that's a mistake that almost anyone would make, esp twice.

I can dig all of what you're saying here Matter of fact, I firmly believe in mostly all of it.

I just think it was a mistake. I kind of got sucked into a long discussion, but really I don't feel that Kimbo doesn't know Japan is a country, I just feel like he got put in the spotlight and he got a little nervous and tripped over his words a little bit.
JimiMak
12/9/08 8:01:48PM
Maybe this is old news, but I just found it and I think most ppl still think of him as a thug who's done prison time and is just ignorant.

For college, he attended both Bethune-Cookman University and the University of Miami, where he had an athletic scholarship[9] and studied criminal justice.[5]

He's obviously sought out more education and a better way of being for himself. Even tho he didn't graduate college his background isn't as bad as some seem to think (not specifically talking to you Jackelope just the general public perception of him)
Jackelope
12/9/08 8:12:34PM
I know you weren't aiming at me, but I did know those things about Kimbo.

The thing that I gather about him, while not saying he's a totally stupid thug or anything, is that he was banking on making it into the NFL and by all accounts he was on a pretty good track toward making it.

My opinion on this matter doesn't come necessarily from his educational standing, but more his geo-social mindset
higdon10
12/10/08 5:13:56PM