Kimbo vs James Thompson Official

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kimbo vs James Thompson Official
Next Page »
Mchubb316
4/2/08 11:57:45AM
The rumored match up between Kimbo Slice (2-0) and James Thompson (14-8) is apparently booked for the CBS Saturday Night Fights EliteXC main event at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., on May 31, according to Carson’s Corner.
Looks like Kimbo vs. Thompson is gonna happen for sure. What do you guys think about this being the first main event on network television?
Source
imanidiot777
4/2/08 12:11:47PM
I'm still waiting for them to give Kimbo a mainly BJJ style guy so he can get whooped.
bullettdodger
4/2/08 12:14:53PM
Seems like Kimbo should have no trouble dealing with the ding and dash style, except it will be a ding and get KTFO for James Thompson... Kimbo should have the better chin... so i guess Kimbo RD 1 (T)KO for me
Ordep
4/2/08 12:22:35PM

Doesn't JT get tired of getting 1st Rd KOs?
tberg420
4/2/08 12:22:45PM
It's really hard to respect a company who constantly give their big name nothing but cans. While that is what you see from us MMA fans, people who tune in for the 1st time or aren't huge MMA fans will see Kimbo Slice KO Thompson in 19 seconds and proclaim him, "Baddest Man On The Planet." I will watch the fight but please keep Garry Shaw's fat penguin body out of the camera shot. He's terrible for the sport and should go back to boxing.
silverbullet
4/2/08 12:39:01PM
WAR JT!!!!!!!!!
jahdoug
4/2/08 12:46:43PM
Theyre putting Kimbo up against the one guy in MMA who looks scarier than him, and also a guy who can get ko' d with the best of him. Maybe the winner can KO the big show after, cause this result has about as much uncertainty as him vs. mayweather.
Mayhem13
4/2/08 12:48:29PM

Posted by tberg420

It's really hard to respect a company who constantly give their big name nothing but cans. While that is what you see from us MMA fans, people who tune in for the 1st time or aren't huge MMA fans will see Kimbo Slice KO Thompson in 19 seconds and proclaim him, "Baddest Man On The Planet." I will watch the fight but please keep Garry Shaw's fat penguin body out of the camera shot. He's terrible for the sport and should go back to boxing.

as I do agree that this should be a win for Kimbo...I wouldnt say that JT is a complete can..he has a couple big wins...and for a 3rd career fight..he is a pretty tbig name..

people seem to forget Kimbo had no amatuer MMA...just straight to the big leagues...and to fight Tank and Thompson in 2 of your first 3 fights....thats pretty respectable really...

he is a big draw, but not just because of Shaw and Elite XC the dude has a following...they dont wanna throw him in against a BJJ Blackbelt with tons of MMA experiance...it wouldnt be fair at this point ...
candynuts
4/2/08 12:50:47PM
I say JT can take him down, making it a more intriguing matchup, rather than the "rd. 1 KO Kimbo".

WAR JT!
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/2/08 1:05:20PM

Posted by candynuts

I say JT can take him down, making it a more intriguing matchup, rather than the "rd. 1 KO Kimbo".

WAR JT!

key word is "can".

but WILL JT take him down?

If JT is smart he takes him down & destroys him.

since picking kimbo rd 1 KO is SO easy, im gonna say at the 1:37 mark of the 1st rd we see JT topple over, like he does against most all big sluggers he fights
xchickox
4/2/08 1:17:16PM
it would be good to see JT take him down and destroy kimbo on the ground, i'd love see how shocked gary shaw is after

but aint gonna happen kimbo by 1st rd ko
jae_1833
4/2/08 2:02:10PM
JT could would and should but just won't take him down. It'll be another quick KO for Kimbo, however the competition they are putting Kimbo up does get stiffer each time. It is his 3rd pro fight and all, I would like to see him go up against a grappler soon though. Maybe Bigfoot??
Red-Dragon
4/2/08 2:33:03PM
Should be fun to watch though and I think JT will go for the takedown immediately.
jiujitsufreak74
4/2/08 2:39:50PM
wow guys JT isn't a can. it is just that his style as of late plays into Kimbo's well and will cause problems for him. don't call JT a can because he gets KOed. he has defeated Yoshida and Frye, so i wouldn't call him a can just yet. with that said i am picking Kimbo but i really wouldn't be surprised if JT gets the KO either. where is the JT WW? they wouldn't put up with this badmouthing of their fighter. i am sure they will come by soon and straighten some of you out.
elekguy
4/2/08 3:24:45PM
i called this fight lmao ..james thompson dosnt have much of a chin BUT....thiers always that one punch! and hes gonna be training like a champ for kimbo..
juanez13
4/2/08 3:39:41PM
I doubt this fight will go longer than 1 minute. JT isnt a complete can, but he has no chin, and to be able to land a big punch you got to take some punishment, which he cant do. So my prediction is Kimbo via Jab KO.
RMFG_187
4/2/08 3:40:13PM
JT has about a 20% chance of winning, and 15 % of that is if Kimbo doesn't show up.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
4/2/08 3:52:35PM
this fight is whatever. 1st rd KO for Kimbo.
Now the Heavyweight I want to see Kimbo fight is Rafeal Feijao also in Elite Xc if he can beat him then maybe we have an mma fighter but until then....nothing but the provided excitment of another 1st rd KO that was completly expected.
JimiMak
4/2/08 4:52:35PM
"Can?" ha

Kimbo stands a good chance of an early ko, like he does w/ anyone. James' work with Extreme Couture has already shown a little and will become much more obvious. He takes down Kimbo and either pounds him out, or completely shocks the world w/ an armbar, solidifying his name in America and showing Kimbo needs more work before stepping up.....
wrona666
4/2/08 4:54:11PM

Posted by RMFG_187

JT has about a 20% chance of winning, and 15 % of that is if Kimbo doesn't show up.

Thats is just hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seanfu
4/2/08 6:27:11PM
Kimbo 1st round. They're sending in Thompson specificly to light things up and get knocked out. He might be able to bum rush Kimbo to the ground though. Noone has had the balls to throw a fast barrage and go for the rush. Of coarse he's only had 3 fights.
Pookie
4/2/08 6:31:46PM
ill say at the :23 second mark JT gets hit with a big one
puppetmaster837
4/2/08 8:59:16PM
Another easy win for Kimbo. But at least Thompson will seem to a lot of people like being a good victory since he is a well known name.
Aaronno9
4/2/08 10:13:57PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

Another easy win for Kimbo. But at least Thompson will seem to a lot of people like being a good victory since he is a well known name.

jocksmall
4/2/08 10:28:53PM
i think this fight makes alot of sense and is a logical small step up for kimbo but a step up none the less. should be an entertaining short fight both guys want to bang!
Porch28
4/2/08 10:50:14PM
WhiteWidow
4/3/08 2:10:15AM
this is a terrible fight for james, i used to think he had a decent chance at making it in the big leagues but hes going 14-9 after this fight, exciting guy to watch tho, surprised he still has such a big following here, there might be a kimbo warwagon soon lol
Kpro
4/3/08 4:29:41AM
WARRRRRR JT!
bls1919
4/3/08 5:13:03PM
i think this is a good fight for Kimbo. Its his third fight and it will be against solid guy in thompson. I hope JT doesnt try and stand with him. Should be a good measure of how good Kimbo is. See if he can make it in the later rounds maybe????
Bemin
4/3/08 8:29:23PM
Well Shaw and Co. are putting JT up against Kimbo because he's a brawler and because of his recent string of early KO losses, but I think it may backfire on them. JT doesn't qualify for a seniors discount at the International House of Pancakes yet so thats one thing in his favour, another is he has been in this game a lot longer than Kimbo and has some big name wins.

I think we will see JT's gameplan is to take this one to the ground and test how much of Bas's training Kimbo has absorbed. Without a doubt Kimbo's most challenging fight yet, and can't wait to see this one live on CBS.
Pages: [1] 2