Is Kimbo Bad For The Sport?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is Kimbo Bad For The Sport?
Silent-Sir
2/20/08 4:23:50PM
I'm sure I'm going to get a tonne of heat for this, but I just think Kimbo brings a negative image to the world of MMA. I mean, he's being marketed as nothing but a glorified street fighter. He's exactly the kind of person all the detractors will use to prove that MMA fighters are nothing but street thugs.

Don't get me wrong, I personally like the guy. I think he's a dangerous striker that will take your head off if given the chance, but I just think the way he's being marketed is a step backwards for the sport.

**NOTE: You may notice that this is different from what I originally posted. Upon review, I found that I didn't word my comments the way I had intended. This revised copy better fits with the thoughts I had rattling around in the void between my ears.
puppetmaster837
2/20/08 4:29:24PM
There are a lot of MMA fighters that started out street fighting. This is ridiculous to hate Kimbo for the same thing just because he became known for it. I agree that he may not yet be a contender and he hasn't faced top competition, but he also has only had 2 MMA bouts. He does not show that MMA fighters are just street thugs. To show that would mean he isn't training. But he is training incredibly hard with Bas Rutten, one of the best ever. He has sobered up since he started training, he is changing his life in a positive way and for that he gets all this hate about his past. Don't call him top ten in the world, don't call a bad image for the sport either, just give him a chance.
StevenSeagal
2/20/08 4:30:35PM
I agree to an extent, but MMA is now bigger than Kimbo or any one star. If this was like 4 years ago and this was going on, id be a way more towards that argument. Seeing how there are 20 good well rounded fighters to every Kimbo, I dont see any negative impact. More and more states are approving MMA to be held, so all in all no biggie IMO. Plus it would get kind of boring with every fighter a clean cut dude with perfect amounts of ground work and stand up... The more the merrier IMO.

Your point is well taken, but the MMA power train is too big now for anyone fighter to stop it unless they take a chunk of someone's flesh with their teeth or some really odd sh*t. lol
roger
2/20/08 4:32:17PM
i agree in away with what you say but it think if you put him up aganist someone like ken shamrock and he proves himself against a good fighter then i will give him more props but as of now he's nothing but a thug with really good hands not many people can stand with him
backalley101
2/20/08 4:46:25PM
Just because he started as a street fighter doesn't make him bad for the sport. From what I can see, Kimbo is very respectful to people. He doesn't act like he's a thug. Shit, Nick Diaz acts more of a thug than Kimbo. The man for years. That's how he put food on the table. You can't knock him for that. And wanting an MMA career. So I don't think he's bad for the sport. You could always look at the negative things and overlook the positive. War, Kimbo. Peace!
MALICE
2/20/08 4:55:04PM
Here's a quick article/actually a blog on the subject.

Link
Silent-Sir
2/20/08 4:55:27PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

There are a lot of MMA fighters that started out street fighting. This is ridiculous to hate Kimbo for the same thing just because he became known for it. I agree that he may not yet be a contender and he hasn't faced top competition, but he also has only had 2 MMA bouts. He does not show that MMA fighters are just street thugs. To show that would mean he isn't training. But he is training incredibly hard with Bas Rutten, one of the best ever. He has sobered up since he started training, he is changing his life in a positive way and for that he gets all this hate about his past. Don't call him top ten in the world, don't call a bad image for the sport either, just give him a chance.

I don't recall saying anything about hating Kimbo, I personally like the guy. He's entertaining as hell and I think the fact that he's cleaned up his act and turned his life around is great. Also, I am by no means ignoring the intense training he's doing with Bas. I know that they can't all be Randy Coutures or GSP's, and that's fine, but centering your whole marketing campaign around the guys street fighting background is probably not the best strategy. Maybe they could have focused on the fact that he's cleaning up his life (which they now seem to be doing) and is trying to leave his old life behind him.

Like I said, I fully expected to take a tonne of heat for my comments. Which is fine, a little healthy debate never hurt anybody.
Silent-Sir
2/20/08 5:04:38PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Here's a quick article/actually a blog on the subject.

Link

I just took a quick browse through that article and it definitely gave me some things to think about. In retrospect, I should have been clearer in my comments. I am definitely not bashing Kimbo or attacking his character. However, I can see how my original post could be interpreted that way. I was simply trying to make the point that all those people who think MMA is barbaric will use his background and inexperience as a tool to prove their point. I apologize if I have offended anybody as that was not my intent.
DCRage
2/20/08 5:17:52PM
All things considered, it goes both ways but I think he's a little more good than bad. He's shown that he's serious about his training to become a more well-rounded fighter and could set an example for other street fighter types, they can look at Kimbo and think "Hey, maybe I could do this MMA stuff, get paid to beat up people and not get busted by the cops!", and another way to think of it is he's continuing the sort of crossover trend started by Cung Le-he was a kickboxer before giving MMA a shot. And of course all the wrestlers who came to MMA over the last decade as well.
loonytnt
2/20/08 5:34:04PM
bad, no way imo, he is only one person and espn thinks he is the best mma fighter anyway ( gotta love PTI)
Bowen50
2/20/08 5:35:57PM
i don't think that Kimbo is bad for the sport. yes he has a long history of street fighting which brings a bad image but you have to look at what the man is doing to denounce the notion that hes a street fighter. Kimbo has been training with Bas Rutten, one of the best all time, for a year and a half now. He is obviously taking the sport seriously. I think that Kimbo will always have a street MENTALITY because its how he was brought up and it is where he is from and you can never take that away from someone. But soon enough i think we will see the whole package Kimbo has to offer.
jiujitsufreak74
2/20/08 5:43:30PM
melvid guillard and krazy horse are bad for the sport. kimbo on the other hand is not. like Bowen said, he has been taking this extremely seriously and is training with Bas Rutten to develop a complete MMA game. he isn't a dirty fighter, he hasn't broken the law or done anything that has brought negative plubicity to MMA since he started training. if he was still street fighting then maybe he would be bad for the sport, but don't knock a guy who is dedicated to this sport and seems to be focused on it 100%. he works too hard for people to label him as "bad for the sport".

EDIT: as far as your marketing perspective, i can see where you are coming from, but it's not just him. look at Yves Edwards who was on that same card. did you not see what it said under his style...Thug-Jitsu. now that is bad for the sport, but Yves is a well respected veteran who has shown that he is versatile and a formidable opponent. now, kimbo has been working on his ground game with Bas and all of the people over there with him, so it really isn't his fault to be labled that way. people could use kimbo for an example of how MMA is a "brawler" sport, but there are way too many MMA athletes who disprove that rumor and who are more popular and successful.
Silent-Sir
2/20/08 6:05:02PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

melvid guillard and krazy horse are bad for the sport. kimbo on the other hand is not. like Bowen said, he has been taking this extremely seriously and is training with Bas Rutten to develop a complete MMA game. he isn't a dirty fighter, he hasn't broken the law or done anything that has brought negative plubicity to MMA since he started training. if he was still street fighting then maybe he would be bad for the sport, but don't knock a guy who is dedicated to this sport and seems to be focused on it 100%. he works too hard for people to label him as "bad for the sport".

EDIT: as far as your marketing perspective, i can see where you are coming from, but it's not just him. look at Yves Edwards who was on that same card. did you not see what it said under his style...Thug-Jitsu. now that is bad for the sport, but Yves is a well respected veteran who has shown that he is versatile and a formidable opponent. now, kimbo has been working on his ground game with Bas and all of the people over there with him, so it really isn't his fault to be labled that way. people could use kimbo for an example of how MMA is a "brawler" sport, but there are way too many MMA athletes who disprove that rumor and who are more popular and successful.

I agree with you 100%. It's not his fault that he's being labeled as bad for the sport. He's trying to move beyond his street fighting days and is doing the necessary training to accomplish that goal.

While it is true that there are enough skilled MMA athletes to disprove the brawler/barbaric arguments, you have to keep in mind the mentality of the typical detractor. That is, they find the one piece of evidence to prove their point and then put on the blinders to all other points of view.
Pookie
2/20/08 6:18:03PM
No.
bls1919
2/20/08 7:32:31PM
Kimbo only has to train hard, which he seems to be doing, and kick the shit out of whomever they put in the cage against him. He doesnt make the commercials. he doesnt name the events, he FIGHTS and thats it. As for him being a street thug or whatever, BULL. Look at Chuck Liddell and Jon Lewis. These guys were up and coming underground fighters when they first got off and many more were too. Plain and simple all the man knows is putting his hands through somones face, and he's made money off it his whole life.
JoeySteel
2/20/08 10:57:40PM
Anyone who is CLEAN and wins is good for the sport. I am not going into any racist implications here, but I think there are some. Kimbo looks mean and scary, he is called a street fighter, SO WHAT?

If a tech BJJ artists can beat him, than lets do it.

You wanna talk about people who are bad for the sport talk about someone like Sean The Roid Shark. He is the only thing bad for this sport. With the possible exception of Phil Baroni. I hate that dude.
The_Notorious_ZIG
2/21/08 10:02:42AM
I'm against any fighter or organization that tries to promote or exploit the "thug" mentality bullsh-t. Kimbo, so far, has shown that he is taking the sport seriously. I have no beef with him and the way he has represented the sport to this point.
gsquat
2/21/08 10:15:58AM
I agree in part with the thread starter. I've always thought Kimbo's past is horrible for MMA. Its like watching kids who have been watching UFC and decided to do it their back yard. Kimbo used to be what the critics hated about MMA. I think now instead of embracing his past, he needs to drop it and take on the persona of a professional MMA fighter. Aside from that he is a dangerous threat to anyone in the heavyweight division on his feet.
Hardrock
3/23/08 1:28:43AM
Kimbo has some great hands but it will be interesting to see him up against a real current young fighter.

www.fthfightgear.com