Kimbo at 205??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kimbo at 205??
TheHitmanTL
11/12/07 4:51:34PM
do you guys think that kimbo could make 205?? and Do you think hed do better in that weight class because he looks like he could possibly make 205
cmill21
11/12/07 5:01:47PM
I don't think theres a chance in hell. I didn't think bigfoot could touch 265 though so who knows.
tuvok500
11/12/07 5:37:18PM
Man if Kimbo make 205, he will be so weak that they will have to transport him into the cage with a wheelchair !!

Twenty20Dollars
11/12/07 5:42:16PM
Haha I doubt it, I think most people at 205 can beat him the top 10 or 15 guys.
pv3Hpv3p
11/12/07 5:58:28PM
He just seems too big... He's looked to be in pretty good shape and weighed in at 230something right?

It's just some guys are going to be smaller heavys than others... It's kinda like CroCop, I don't think he'd ever cut to 205 but he can't be much bigger than Forrest Chuck or Tito...

But like mentioned before... I never thougth that Junior Silva could get down to legit HW, and he proved me wrong... so I guess I wouldn't count him out.
Mayhem13
11/12/07 6:14:36PM
I dont think he could cut that far... he weighed in at over 235 for this last fight, and looked to be cut and in good shape...I think that extra 30 pounds would kill him if he tried
cowcatcher
11/13/07 12:12:06PM
in a word: no
cutting weight isnt always going to automatically make you more dangerous, sure you may have a size/strength advantage, but a natural fighter at the weight class you drop to will most times be much faster and have loads better stamina. when i coached HS wrestling i had guys that wanted to drop classes dall the time and usually i wouldnt let them unless they had a body type more fitting a lower class(ie they were short for their weight class, or high body fat). i wouldnt want my guys going in there after all the cardio work they did to wrestle at one weight, then cutting 9-15 and ruining all the cardio they did prior to the match because they drained their bodies completely. from 6th to 10th grade i always wrestled up in class, i knew id be rested and in the best shape i could be, plus i knew id be faster then almost anyone i was in there with. too often guys think if they cut they will be that much better, what they should be doing is fighting at a natural weight for them(somewhere not 20 lbs over) and worrying about techinique and cardio rather than "if i was lighter i could beat anyone", just ask alistair overeem.

EDIT:sorry about the rant, but i think too many people think cutting weight(to another class) makes you a better fighter and that just isnt the case.
atlas777
11/14/07 1:58:36PM
I dont think he could make 205 but if he could then he would be more of a beast than he is now. Is that even possibly im just not sure that guy can fight and he hits real hard
jocksmall
11/19/07 7:58:09PM
i dont see kimbo making 205 and i dont think it would benifit him if he did. the 205 guys seem more technical and more athletic. he is right where he belongs. bangin with the big boys
ncordless
11/20/07 12:11:23AM
Sure he could cut to 205... if he has stage 4 cancer
rcg916
11/20/07 12:30:30AM

Posted by cowcatcher

in a word: no
cutting weight isnt always going to automatically make you more dangerous, sure you may have a size/strength advantage, but a natural fighter at the weight class you drop to will most times be much faster and have loads better stamina. when i coached HS wrestling i had guys that wanted to drop classes dall the time and usually i wouldnt let them unless they had a body type more fitting a lower class(ie they were short for their weight class, or high body fat). i wouldnt want my guys going in there after all the cardio work they did to wrestle at one weight, then cutting 9-15 and ruining all the cardio they did prior to the match because they drained their bodies completely. from 6th to 10th grade i always wrestled up in class, i knew id be rested and in the best shape i could be, plus i knew id be faster then almost anyone i was in there with. too often guys think if they cut they will be that much better, what they should be doing is fighting at a natural weight for them(somewhere not 20 lbs over) and worrying about techinique and cardio rather than "if i was lighter i could beat anyone", just ask alistair overeem.

EDIT:sorry about the rant, but i think too many people think cutting weight(to another class) makes you a better fighter and that just isnt the case.

As a lifelong wrestler/occasional coach, I agree one million percent. Cutting in High School is just now becoming regulated, but should me much more so in my opinion.
Mastodon2
11/20/07 7:10:23PM
Kimbo is pretty gunned up, I doubt he could make 205. If he did a massive cut over say 48 and weighed in, he'd probably bare survive the weigh ins, like Gina Carrano did. Except I doubt He'd Gina and come out looking good in the fight, he'd be too dehydrated, and would have the fighting capacity of a piece of dried fruit, which is actually what he would resemble!
madmarck
11/21/07 8:17:48AM
shouldnt he fight a few more fights at HW before he seriously considers screwing around with the mix that is Kimbo Slice