Kim Winslow Becomes First Female Referee in UFC History

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kim Winslow Becomes First Female Referee in UFC History
MMAcca
6/21/09 5:32:44PM
A significant moment in mixed martial arts history seems to have passed with little notice Saturday night: Kim Winslow became the first woman ever to be in the Octagon during a UFC fight when she refereed the undercard bout between Nick Osipczak and Frank Lester at the Ultimate Fighter Finale.

LINK
TNPanther78
6/21/09 6:01:18PM
**** if she is better than Dan Mirgolitia, thats a plus then.
MMAcca
6/21/09 6:02:20PM

Posted by TNPanther78

Everybody is better than Miragliotta. Even Mazzagati
TNPanther78
6/21/09 6:03:13PM
I think Mazzagatti is one of the best.IMO
Khaos
6/21/09 8:00:59PM

Posted by TNPanther78

I do kind of agree, there are better but he's still top 5 referee material. I'd say #4, behind Dean, Matheny, and Lavinge.

The_Ho_Bag
6/21/09 8:39:25PM
almost had Dan in my 1st MMA fights as a ref oh man good thing i didnt =))))
prozacnation1978
6/22/09 9:36:33AM
i think she might ref a main event in ufc before the year is over
gartface
6/22/09 3:13:44PM

Posted by TNPanther78

Mazzagatti: "Did he hit you in the back of the head?"

Mir: "Durrr...what? Umm...yeah!"

Mazzagatti: "Alright, stand it up! 1 Point!"

FlashyG
6/22/09 4:06:50PM
I think Josh Rosenthal is another good ref...we never talk about him so he must be doing something right.

It nice to see new refs being used, as the sport evolves they will keep getting better much like the quality of the fighters.
EvenFlow
6/22/09 4:37:24PM
I'm gonna be as non sexist as I can... shes gonna have the same problem Yves has been having in that their both not physically strong enough to pull off a fighter who might be fueled by a lot of adrenalin and stronger than they are. ie Bradley vs Nover or Rampage vs Wand 3. Hopefully they keep her with the smaller fighters so this never happens to her and maybe since its a female theyll show more restraint for the ref but I'm afraid this issue will come up if she refs again. Refs need to be physically able to stop the fighter to stop further damage and I'm all for female refs but that girl was skinny as a twig.
Pookie
6/22/09 4:43:07PM
I think everybody is forgetting the man named Yamasaki.
Sometimes he lets fights go on a little long, but its consistent and youll never have a Koscheck v. paulo thiago type stoppage where the fighter felt it was too soon.
-Detroit-
6/25/09 3:57:22AM

Posted by TNPanther78

Shiiit. As long as Cecil Peoples never steps into the octagon again I'll be happy.
gartface
6/25/09 5:45:48PM

Posted by -Detroit-

Posted by TNPanther78

Shiiit. As long as Cecil Peoples never steps into the octagon again I'll be happy.

When has Cecil Peoples ever refereed a UFC event?
telnights
6/25/09 6:24:40PM
Hey we need some fresh faces in this sport and I think she could do as good or better than a lot of the refs we have now. But you cant get much worse than some of the ones we have now either.
-Detroit-
6/25/09 6:32:49PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by -Detroit-

Posted by TNPanther78

When has Cecil Peoples ever refereed a UFC event?

I forget which fight it was but he stopped it early and he hasn't been in the octagon since.
MMAcca
6/26/09 1:23:43AM

Posted by Pookie

I think everybody is forgetting the man named Yamasaki.
Sometimes he lets fights go on a little long, but its consistent and youll never have a Koscheck v. paulo thiago type stoppage where the fighter felt it was too soon.

Mario, Herb and Big John are head and shoulders above the others imo. Another very good and consistent ref is Marc Goddard.