*Why I want my KIDS to be MMA Fighters*

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » *Why I want my KIDS to be MMA Fighters*
JimmieDD
8/2/08 11:49:48AM
Article discussing the benefits of MMA.

I actually agree with this.

http://www.mmatraining.com/featured/why-i-want-my-children-to-be-mma-fighters/
Sir_Karl
8/2/08 1:13:35PM
I have to agree with most of this article as well.
Fitness is obvious. America has turned into a nation of fatsos.
Before you tubbies boo and hiss at me....I weighed 400+ lbs as a teen.
Since I got into martial arts almost 20 years ago my weight has stayed in the 190 lb to 210 lb range (not bad for 6ft2 1/2).
America needs to lose weight and get in shape and it starts with our children...who are more obese than ever.
Discipline....another thing Americans need...especially our children...who are ten times as emotional and out of control as we were.
We need to be able to face a problem without getting angry and losing control.
We need to be able to walk away. Reason wins in the end. Remember Karate Kid....the true reason to take Karate (or any other Martial Arts) is so "I don't have to fight".
Humility is a good one as well....and is partially tied to discipline.
Discipline helps you be humble....and humility helps with your discipline.
If you aren't humble....you are arrogant.
I don't however agree 100% with the "competition" aspect as I feel competition creates a rat race....where there are few winners and a multitude of losers.
"Competition' can leave you blind to much as well...but a good martial arts school (or teacher, Sensei, Sifu, Guru, Pendekar etc) will shape the "competitive" aspect of the "student" in a positive manner anyhow so it doesn't matter.
Self defense is obvious...America is a very violent place...and IMO our youth aren't getting any less violent. If kids are taught properly their martial arts abilities will only be used for self defense purposes.
Certain people don't want our kids being trained in MMA....but most of those same people have no problems with our kid's horrific eating habits or their lack of proper exercise....or the real bad stuff they watch on TV like horribly "unreal" shows on "certain children's channels" or wherever...so bad sitcoms and crap foods are "OK" for our children but being trained physically and philosophically by a wise martial arts master, who will teach you discipline, humility, respect, self defense and get you in great shape in the process is bad?
Fight for what you believe in.
Be who you want to be....and always be involved in politics...."idiot" is an ancient Greek word which translates to "man who doesn't vote".

The-Don
8/2/08 1:44:33PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I have to agree with most of this article as well.
Fitness is obvious. America has turned into a nation of fatsos.
Before you tubbies boo and hiss at me....I weighed 400+ lbs as a teen.
Since I got into martial arts almost 20 years ago my weight has stayed in the 190 lb to 210 lb range (not bad for 6ft2 1/2).
America needs to lose weight and get in shape and it starts with our children...who are more obese than ever.
Discipline....another thing Americans need...especially our children...who are ten times as emotional and out of control as we were.
We need to be able to face a problem without getting angry and losing control.
We need to be able to walk away. Reason wins in the end. Remember Karate Kid....the true reason to take Karate (or any other Martial Arts) is so "I don't have to fight".
Humility is a good one as well....and is partially tied to discipline.
Discipline helps you be humble....and humility helps with your discipline.
If you aren't humble....you are arrogant.
I don't however agree 100% with the "competition" aspect as I feel competition creates a rat race....where there are few winners and a multitude of losers.
"Competition' can leave you blind to much as well...but a good martial arts school (or teacher, Sensei, Sifu, Guru, Pendekar etc) will shape the "competitive" aspect of the "student" in a positive manner anyhow so it doesn't matter.
Self defense is obvious...America is a very violent place...and IMO our youth aren't getting any less violent. If kids are taught properly their martial arts abilities will only be used for self defense purposes.
Certain people don't want our kids being trained in MMA....but most of those same people have no problems with our kid's horrific eating habits or their lack of proper exercise....or the real bad stuff they watch on TV like horribly "unreal" shows on "certain children's channels" or wherever...so bad sitcoms and crap foods are "OK" for our children but being trained physically and philosophically by a wise martial arts master, who will teach you discipline, humility, respect, self defense and get you in great shape in the process is bad?
Fight for what you believe in.
Be who you want to be....and always be involved in politics...."idiot" is an ancient Greek word which translates to "man who doesn't vote".

As an American and a martial artist... I agree with your statement.. our country is getting fatter and lazier.. Competition is being taken away from our kids with soccer leagues and such not keeping score... LIFE IS COMPETITION.. there are winner and losers... plain and simple.. hippie communist liberals ( no apologies if I offend any with that) are ruining this country... They want us to play nicely and fairly and give everyone a turn and a chance.. LIFE is not about fairness... You learn how to live a life as a child.. and our children are being raised to be sheep and cattle.. fattened up so they can be culled and used they are not taught to think and express themselves.. children who "act out" or are a bit vocal with thier ideas have a mental illness and are given drugs.. these kids need a palce to have an outlet weather it is in MMA or a tradation Martial art.. or something where they are around kids and active and competitive.

Those are my views as an american father of 3 who happens to be a martial artist
Manfred
8/2/08 2:26:58PM
I agree with the fitness and discipline reasons 100%.

I'm just not sure if MMA competition is right for kids. I agree with the Don about kids losing competition opportunities. "The kid that comes in last is no longer a loser, he's now called 'the last winner'" -George Carlin.

But I think MMA competition might be a bit traumatic on a growing body and skeletal structure.
motorboatensob
8/2/08 3:04:41PM
I one hundred percent agree people who are against mma are people who are unfamiliar with it. It dose not teach our kids to go out and pick on others it lets them know when and when not to take a stand. MMA is all around good for America and if others would take the time to learn a little about it I think they would agree.
Naturaldisaster
8/2/08 3:27:40PM
great read. I completly agree. Kids these days are lazier than ever, and alot more disrespectful, Im not perfect though im 18 and yeah I have been trouble for my parents before but then again who hasnt. but Since gettin into mma its given my my Getaway I guess that what you call it. training is also a way for take you fustrations out with out gettin in trouble with the law or in street fights. I never realize how much just simply beating on a heavy bag or rolling around with a training partner can work as a type of therapy. People who look at mma as brutal and just pure violence are the people who dont know about mma. Rich Franklin put in best when he said mma is just a human chess match. Its a learning experience. to every move theres a counter, and to ever counter theres a counter. MMA is pure competition. Thats why its becoming the fastest growing sport in the world.
jae_1833
8/2/08 3:39:11PM
To me MMA is the most realistic type of fighting as it definately applies to a street fight. That is the most likely type of fight for a kid to get into. I want my kids to learn how to fight just so that if someone tries to mess with them they can kick that ass when they need. Not that I want them to be bullies or anything even close. When it comes to fitness, competition, ect.... there are tons of sports that emphasize this and I am open to them all. I am sure both of my children will be interested in all sorts of sporting activities, but I will send them to training centers to learn how to defend themselves.
casey64
8/2/08 4:05:35PM
Nice read!
mikevolz
8/2/08 4:08:08PM
I have to voice my opinion on this as a huge mma fan. someone who trains as a hobby, and for fun.

What scares me about children fighting mma, is the head injuries. it scares me just as much as young children boxing.

When i started training, you know i never had any hopes or aspirations to be amazing, just to stay fit in the off-season from other sports, and learn to protect myself. But i really started to like it, and like everyone else i started to think about the what if's.

what if i started training 10-15 hours a week
what if i started sparring every oppurtunity
what if i started to become a 'fighter'

Then i started meeting/talking to the pro-fighters at the gyms i trained it. and frankly it scared the bejesus out of me. one 22 year old, can't remember who you are unless he's met you 3 or 4 times, cant stop blinking, has terrible memory. the kid is 22 years old. Another is 25 can barely form a sentence, can't keep from stuttering, socially inept. One of the trainers nervous system is completely screwed up, he can't even walk right, blinks an insane amount as well, and has a hard time holding a conversation or discussion. but he can kick your ass and has an undefeated mma record.

joe rogan talks about sacrificing the quality of your mind, and i tend to agree with him. Granted this is coming from a huge hallucinogenics user and a avid pot smoker, but hes on point with that. These people are sacrificing the quality of their mind.

My main qualm with it, is putting these kids in this position to do this when they don't fully understand the consequences of their actions. parents say well, my kid loves it and wants to do it. yeah well your kid loves to eat candy and stay up late, but you don't let him do that either. its called parenting.

i think keeping your kids in ju-jitsu and wrestling, can help teach them all of these values to the same degree, without the longterm effects. I personally believe you learn a lot more about sportsmanship through BJJ than you do with just about any sport. and i dont have anything against having kids learning striking. But putting them in a sparring environment, or a fight, is bad parenting.

Although, regardless these parents have always been around, they didn't just come into existence with the popularity of the ufc, they are just changing their focus from soccer, football, baseball, and channeling it into mma.

and let me add on a point -
in the super nanny show, i was watching it on the treadmill at the gym. They brought in kids to extreme couture, and gray maynard was hosting a kids class. What he was teaching them, how he was teaching it, was pardon my french, but ******* wonderful. the sport needs more people like that.
JimmieDD
8/2/08 4:13:30PM
Ya. I just think overall training for MMA for kids is a GOOD thing.

Not sure fighting in cage is for everyone, because its not, but training with some purpose and being pushed in a good thing.
lordicast
8/2/08 6:35:45PM
I dont agree with kids MMA! too many injuries there will be entirely to many parents mad beause there kid got KO'D on Larry king talking about MMA being EVIL. I belive kids that like MMA need to be in Wrestling and JJ both are excellent bases to start on until the kid is about 16 and begins training the good stuff like Boxing, kick boxing. WAR Wrestlers
Kracker_Jap
8/2/08 7:12:19PM

Posted by lordicast

I dont agree with kids MMA! too many injuries there will be entirely to many parents mad beause there kid got KO'D on Larry king talking about MMA being EVIL. I belive kids that like MMA need to be in Wrestling and JJ both are excellent bases to start on until the kid is about 16 and begins training the good stuff like Boxing, kick boxing. WAR Wrestlers

I agree War Wrestlers......

But really, I consider MMA an adult sport.....

If you want to Tiger Woods your kid into the next MMA Fighter

Do it in baby steps wrestling kickboxing BJJ ect

16 years old seems like a good age to break kids in to full MMA I know there are kids in my area that are doing it now at 16
RMFG_187
8/2/08 8:01:15PM
I say let them TRAIN MMA, but not Fight until 18, in some cases 16

If I get a kid, im enrolling him in BJJ at age 6. I did Karate at age 6, and now that I look back, I really wish it was BJJ. I would be a Black Belt!

but if the kid doesnt want to after about a year, let him quit, its his life.

BTW, if i had a girl, i would send her to BJJ at 6 too, imagine getting beat up by ur daughter
MaxOne
8/2/08 9:54:45PM
i'm all for kids learning martial arts...bjj, wrestling etc. I don't think it's good for 7 year olds to kick each other in the head. If they do any sort of actual fighting they should be in fully on protective gear.

for little girls...teach them bjj so they can break a dudes arm if he gets to pushy on a date or something.