Kevin Burns wants rematch with Anthony Johnson to "make it right"

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kevin Burns wants rematch with Anthony Johnson to "make it right"
SmileR
9/19/08 10:24:45AM
Much of the MMA world was taken aback when the Nevada State Athletic Commission recently elected to leave Kevin Burns' (7-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) controversial July TKO victory over fellow welterweight Anthony Johnson unchanged.

After repeated warnings throughout the bout by referee Steve Mazzagatti for Burns to be cautious of repetitive eye pokes, a final third-round blow crumpled Johnson to the mat. Mazzagatti did not initially see the illegal strike, and Burns was awarded a much-maligned victory.

But as Burns recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), regardless of the NSAC's opinion on the matter, the Iowa native is prepared to correct the matter in his own manner.

"To be honest with you, I was kind of impartial," Burns said about Johnson's appeal with the commission. "[The NSAC] had the right and the ability to do what they wanted as far as making the appeal. I didn't have adverse feelings either way.

"I guess what's really going to be the true-tell sign at the end of the day is when we meet in the cage again, and we have a chance to compete against each other. Then the fans will get to see what they wanted to see, and we'll get to make it right."

Link
Porch28
9/19/08 10:42:38AM
Now why would AJ rematch when Burns would still have to throw punches with his palmI know he says his hand is better but thats an injury that can repeatedly happen look at Arturro Gotti and thats with 12 oz gloves. AJ would be at risk again for the same injury. I think it would be a bad move on his part besides we all know who won the fight anyway so I see nothing left to prove.AJ stay away save your sight
gartface
9/19/08 11:01:01AM

Posted by Porch28

Now why would AJ rematch when Burns would still have to throw punches with his palmI know he says his hand is better but thats an injury that can repeatedly happen look at Arturro Gotti and thats with 12 oz gloves. AJ would be at risk again for the same injury. I think it would be a bad move on his part besides we all know who won the fight anyway so I see nothing left to prove.AJ stay away save your sight

It's not Burns' fault, he broke his hand so many times, that he can't make a fist.(his explanation after the fight.) I believe him, he seems like a really nice guy, and I really respect him for wanting the rematch. It's not often that a guy that wins a match (all be it, it was by a BS call), wants a rematch to make things right. More power to the guy.
rabbit915
9/19/08 11:04:56AM
I see both of these guys having a pretty good future in this division so i think they should wait on a rematch. Have them both pick up a few more wins and then have the rematch. I think that would generate far more interest than a rematch at one of the next few events.
bullettdodger
9/19/08 11:14:53AM

Posted by rabbit915

I see both of these guys having a pretty good future in this division so i think they should wait on a rematch. Have them both pick up a few more wins and then have the rematch. I think that would generate far more interest than a rematch at one of the next few events.

Besides the fact that it sucks for AJ, its just like Hamill V Bisping.. well all know who won that fight, and we all know what happened to AJ
Porch28
9/19/08 11:41:57AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Porch28

It's not Burns' fault, he broke his hand so many times, that he can't make a fist.(his explanation after the fight.) I believe him, he seems like a really nice guy, and I really respect him for wanting the rematch. It's not often that a guy that wins a match (all be it, it was by a BS call), wants a rematch to make things right. More power to the guy.

I'm not saying he isn't a nice guy. Who's fault is it that he broke his hand so many times?I'm just saying I don't think it would be beneficial health wise for AJ to fight him again.
McBee
9/19/08 11:51:08AM
most fans would not even remember the fight when a rematch woould happen and I remember the fight and I could care less to see them fight again.
MMAcca
9/19/08 1:43:32PM
Props to Burns
finnish_line
9/19/08 1:55:09PM

Burns has no place in UFC until he can make a fist and not risk the eyes of his (superior) opponents.
pinoymixplaya
9/19/08 4:13:32PM
Actually it is Kevin Burns' fault. I mean he knew that he couldn't properly fight and put himself and AJ in danger. It isn't like he broke his hand during the fight, it was before the fight ever started and he knew that he couldn't make a fist. I was really excited to see this guy fight because of his win over Carneiro but now....

I would love for this fight to happen just so I could see AJ get an amazing knockout.
jocka
9/19/08 4:42:22PM
I don't think the responsibility is on Burns but rather on the doctors. Don't they need to examine the fighters before they fight. How did he ever get cleared to fight which such an injury?????
Sam_Rothstein
9/19/08 4:59:46PM

Posted by finnish_line

Burns has no place in UFC until he can make a fist and not risk the eyes of his (superior) opponents.

He was throwing those palm strikes against jucao as well as burns. I do feel it's a shame because it is true what burns says. If you look at any of his fight videos he really over does it with the palm strike

This isnt the first time a ufc fights been stopped due to a fingers getting into or cutting eyes and it wont be the last one even if burns never fights in the ufc again
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/19/08 5:06:50PM
Burns wants to make it right? fine dude get destroyed go nuts!
jiujitsufreak74
9/19/08 5:07:54PM
Burns gained my respect for this move. I only wish more athletes had as much integrity as him.
Matimus
9/19/08 6:52:14PM

Posted by gartface

[

then he shouldnt be fighting at all, he is risking permanent damage to himself, which is fine, but he is putting his opponents in unneeded danger.
If your job is to fight, yet you cant make a fist, then find a new job plain and simple.

gartface
9/19/08 7:08:51PM

Posted by Matimus

Posted by gartface

[

then he shouldnt be fighting at all, he is risking permanent damage to himself, which is fine, but he is putting his opponents in unneeded danger.
If your job is to fight, yet you cant make a fist, then find a new job plain and simple.

The damage is already permanent ... It's like Ronnie Brewer (shooting guard for the Jazz) broke his wrist at a young age, and it never healed right, and he shoots knuckle balls now. Burns found a way to adjust, he just needs to find a way to utilize it without poking someone in the eye.
Wolfenstein
9/19/08 11:33:23PM
The problem is he wasn't throwig palm strikes. I mean when you throw a palm strike your fingers should be curled in. He wa just throwing his hand out there with his fingers extended. I didn't undersand it at all.

I'm sure he is being genuine, but if he's going to throw that palm strike o it properly.

Pookie
9/20/08 2:00:57AM
good man, props to burns.
casey64
9/20/08 1:35:32PM

Posted by rabbit915

Props