Keurig nightmare

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Keurig nightmare
Svartorm
6/3/12 11:46:59AM
I'm just throwing this out here because it's crazy and wanted to share.

Not sure about the rest of the world, but in New England we have sugar ant season every year. Around the same time every year, every building has sugar ants funnelling into it, and it can be a real problem. Typically you just figure out how they got it, throw down an ant trap in front of it, and then seal the crack/hole/whatever once they're all dead. No biggie.

So, sugar ant season just started, so I trapped three spots they were coming in. Two of the traps were fed on and a few days later, those two hives were dead. For some reason though, the one under my kitchen counter wasn't getting any action, and I kept seeing one or two ants around. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they were getting in, so I started deep cleaning my kitchen counter to make sure I found whatever was attracting them. As I'm lifiting up my keurig, I noticed a couple run out from behind the latch where you put the K-cup. So, I unplug it and bring it to the sink to see if I can't get inside that latch and clean up whatever coffee splashes inside of it.

All of a sudden, I have a good 200 ants running around on the machine and down my arms. Being completely reasonable, I ran into the bathroom, throw my keurig in the shower and turn it on, so now my bathtub is filled with dead ants and ant eggs.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to even fix this, or if it can be fixed now that it's been in water. Just to be on the safe side, I put it on top of a bucket and filled the bathtub with water as a moat, and I'll be waitin out these ants before trying to take it apart.

I guess the moral of the story is, I hate ants and check your keurig for infestations.
Budgellism
6/3/12 11:53:46AM
I love my Keurig and ever since I was a kid Ive been deathly afraid of ants. Not a good story to wake up to
kopower
6/3/12 11:57:26AM
Should have saved the ants and eggs and cooked em up Bizarre Foods style. I hear insects are high in protein.

That is pretty gross though. We get hoards of ants right before winter. We have to set traps like you and hope for the best.
BeeR
6/3/12 1:07:56PM
my keurig exploded and almost burnt my house down, apparently its very common, I know 3 other people personally that it happened to, class action law suit?
warglory
6/3/12 1:48:23PM
Wow, that's gross. I would never use my a Keurig again if that happened to me.
pmoney
6/3/12 2:16:12PM
Damn, that's nasty stuff! I don't have a problem with ants, but hordes and eggs of anything is pretty gross. We mostly just get cockroaches and reptiles coming out of the woodwork this time of year. The reptiles are cool, the roaches and all of their evil flying brethren are sent from the devil though.
Svartorm
6/3/12 2:25:08PM

Posted by warglory

Wow, that's gross. I would never use my a Keurig again if that happened to me.

Yeah, I'm not happy about it because it's a really expensive keurig too. As with most shit nowadays, you're not supposed to be able to fix anything yourself, so I'm not even sure how to take it apart. If I can wash the part they were living in, I'll be ok, but if its in something that actually touches coffee, it's gone. Crazy thing is, I didn't know they were in there and I use it a few times a day. Never noticed ants in my coffee obviously, so I'm assuming they're not getting into anything vital.

As an update: I reassaulted ant island when they became bold enough to come outside of the machine. Also had some figure out they would walk down the powercord and get into house proper, so I had to kill a good 20 of them on the ceiling and bathtub walls. Fuck this!
Chael_Sonnen
6/3/12 2:27:04PM
Here in the means streets of West Linn, Oregon, we have a spider problem....thing is, as soon as you go to pick a fight with them, they run away.....huh.....go figure.
infestructure
6/3/12 4:41:56PM
I'm off to google 'keurig', BRB.
infestructure
6/3/12 4:44:14PM
Oh you mean "Coffee maker" Ants taste a little bit like aniseed. Don't ask me how I know. They also bite your tongue as they go down, leaving it kinda numb.
frizzzlecake
6/3/12 4:57:56PM
Bite the head off of the queen and make sure they watch, that will teach them who's in charge.

Seriously that is gross, so glad I am a pop guy.
Ordep
6/3/12 5:35:32PM
Since I'm not a coffee fan I didn't know what the heck a keurig was and came here to read a nightmare story about an evil jungle tribe from deep in the amazon or congo, wasn't expecting ants and coffee.

That sucks that they invaded your machine, it's probably still "safe" to use since I don't think they were in contact with the lines, I guess 200+ eggs and ants would cause a malfunction. They were just hanguin' in there because of the heat or something. If you can clean it up successfully get some of that anti -roach, -ant chalk and circle the power outlet or wherever they were coming from.
Bubbles
6/3/12 8:21:19PM

Posted by Ordep

Since I'm not a coffee fan I didn't know what the heck a keurig was and came here to read a nightmare story about an evil jungle tribe from deep in the amazon or congo, wasn't expecting ants and coffee.

you and me both.

Have you noticed a difference in taste between ant infested brew and a non ant infested brew?
Kpro
6/4/12 2:41:41AM
I've never found ants in cocaine. And here I was about to switch to coffee.....

Shawn91111
6/4/12 8:02:50AM
Good thing Im not a coffee drinker
scoozna
6/4/12 1:32:00PM
i imagine the only part of the machine that would be damaged by water would be where the electronics would be - near the button/display panel. But even that might be ok if you let it dry out sufficiently. If you could soak the machine (upside down if needed) but not get the electronics wet, it could just work.

Ants hate the cold, right? So maybe you could freeze them dead by putting the whole machine in a (empty) freezer for 6-12 hours - if that's a possibility. Not sure if they would try to escape or just die in the machine though. Could be nasty.

grappler0000
6/4/12 1:42:50PM
Sell it on eBay...somebody else's problem *tada*

Seriously though, even if I was able to get it back in working order, I'd never be able to enjoy another cup of coffee from it again.
prozacnation1978
6/4/12 11:50:59PM
I once had bed bugs bad. I had to throw away the mattress. But man did it freak me out.

Never had ants though
Svartorm
6/5/12 1:07:13PM
Turns out they were living between the removeable water cartridge and the machine itself. I submerged the water cartridge in a bucket of scalding water early in this adventure. There were none inside of the machine itself except the ones that ran inside while it was being run with haste to the bathtub. Ants are dead and coffee and tea are back.
kopower
6/5/12 2:10:47PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I once had bed bugs bad. I had to throw away the mattress. But man did it freak me out.

Never had ants though

Bed bugs are nasty little things. We had a lady come in to the hospital to have an ultrasound, and the little critters fell off her, and were all over our bed where she laid down. Had to have the room quarantined, cleaned, and special dogs come in that sniff them out, in case any made their way to the carpet. No joke. Probably cost the hospital hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.