I got my kettle bell today....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » I got my kettle bell today....
Rush
12/17/07 11:24:53PM
It's 20 kg (more than a quarter of my body weight) and I am excited. Unfortunately I wil not be using it too much until the spring.

Does anybody here use kettle bells? I am converting some of my old plyo exercises to kettle bell versions, but am interested to hear what some of you might do.

Please only list out things that you have actually done before. I know how to do a google search for kettle bell workouts, but I am more interested in having a discussion on stuff that you (yourselves) do.
hotrodttt
12/18/07 1:08:17AM
When I go to a Crossfit gym I use the kettle bells for Sumo Squats and I curl them.
Svartorm
12/18/07 4:40:13AM
I have a 50lber that I use quite a bit. What area or type of movement are you looking to strengthen?
jomatty
12/18/07 8:34:02AM
excellent door stop when the weather is nice. just ask jorge gurgel.
Rush
12/18/07 10:58:43AM
What I know I will be using it for:

chest pass throws (not to anyone else of course)
squat into throw over my shoulders (like a two leg take down sort of)
golf swing throw (2 hands)
tennis swing backhand throw
carrying it up stairs
cleans (I have a specifc question about these) - see below

I would like to do other types of throws, but I can't think of many right now.

All in all I do not want to use this as another dumb bell or weight. I got out of weight training and only do plyo now.

question regarding cleans - I know there are two ways to do these.

1) just lift the kettle bell straight up like a dumbell. This is comfortable for me in the sense that I used to do one armed cleans with a 50lb dumb bell. However, the kettle bell's weight is mostly on my thumb, which makes me nervous when I get tired (only having a thumb between your head and a 20kg piece of iron)

2) swing the KB like a pendulum so the handle is cradled in your hand. The worry I have with this is that the ball portion is going to whack the back of my hand and/or my wrists will not take the weight

3) Or do you swing the KB like in 2) but stop it in the air to the ball portion is pointing straight up.
Svartorm
12/19/07 1:24:30AM
Its supposed to flip over your hand and land on your wrist, but be careful with this at first, as you can hurt yourself. Hard to explain over the internet, but if you raise your wrist right before it flips over, you sort of meet the KB half way before it gains momentum.

Just be careful with stuff like Turkish Get-ups (golf swings) as you can throw your back out in an instant with those. Overall snatches and cleans are great with the KB for an overall workout, especially to the lower back and legs, which help with takedowns.

On your cleans, how are you holding the KB where your thumb is in the way? The weight should be pressing directly down on your palm and structurally supported by your wrist.
Rush
1/1/08 10:35:54AM

Posted by Svartorm

Its supposed to flip over your hand and land on your wrist, but be careful with this at first, as you can hurt yourself. Hard to explain over the internet, but if you raise your wrist right before it flips over, you sort of meet the KB half way before it gains momentum.

I've been doing stair running with the KB for a bit and finally got to doing the swings. Surprising (to me) it wasn't as difficult to do going up. I have bruises on my forearms, but I think that is from the rubber stand on the bottom of the KB (which I can remove).

I have another question. Do you swing it back down in the same (but opposite) manner? I found that was a little hard on my lower back, which wasn't the case when going up. So what I was doing this time (on the way down) was twisting my wrist to the side and dropping the KB straight down instead of swinging it.

All I can say is my whole body is stiff. These things are great!!!!
Svartorm
1/1/08 2:16:45PM
Yes, you're supposed to swing it back the opposite way, and it will be hard on the lower back, glutes and thighs at first, but it builds tremendous back strength that way. You could always mix it up if you find your back is getting fatigued faster than your arms though.
Rush
1/1/08 9:59:28PM

Posted by Svartorm

Yes, you're supposed to swing it back the opposite way, and it will be hard on the lower back, glutes and thighs at first, but it builds tremendous back strength that way. You could always mix it up if you find your back is getting fatigued faster than your arms though.

My lower back didn't feel fatigued, but more like a strain. I just thought I would take it easy until I feel more comfortable. I don't want to mess up my back.
RampageOwnedYou
1/4/08 4:53:43AM

excellent door stop when the weather is nice. just ask jorge gurgel.

Rush
1/7/08 11:24:09PM
Well my arms are still bruised, but I did another workout today. These were all done as super sets with no more than 10 sec rest between them.

Ran stairs in my building 12 floors - just under 200 stairs.
Went back down.
Went to the top again carrying my kettle bell (fast walking)

Did swings 10 reps each arm. I did the full swings this time and it felt better. (My technique must have improved)
stair hopping 2.5 floors, two steps at a time, 2.5 floors 3-2-3 steps at a time.
Did 15 squats with two hand grip swinging over head (like a two leg takedown)
Repeat stair hopping
Turkish get-ups (light) 15 each direction.
repeat stair hopping

Did swings 10 reps each arm. I did the full swings this time and it felt better. (My technique must have improved)
Did stair hopping 2.5 floors, two steps at a time, 2.5 floors 3-2-3 steps at a time.
Did 15 squats with two hand grip swinging over head (like a two leg takedown)
Repeat stair hopping
Turkish get-ups (light) 15 each direction.

Carried the kettle bell back to my apt.

That was a short, but intense workout.

drunkel
1/11/08 4:40:20PM
youtube has alot of good vids also about kettlebells.
crossfitnewjersey has some smoker workouts also.

The Drunkel
drunkel
1/11/08 4:42:13PM
Here is a workout from NJcrossfit:
The Two Minute Torture!!!

Complete each round of the prescribed exercises on the two minute mark. For example, if you finish in 1:30, you will have 30 seconds to gather yourself before the fun starts again.

Here's the beatdown:

* kettlebell swings 10
* push ups 10
* kettlebell snatches 5r/5l
* Burpees 10

This will be done for 20 minutes straight.

I got thru 8 rnds with a 35lb KB
Took an extra min between sets 5 and 6 for water break.
Made most of the rnds with 20 to 30 secs to spare.

Drunkel the Great
Svartorm
1/12/08 12:04:27AM
That constitutes torture!?!? Thats lamer than waterboarding.

I hang with some seriously brutal kettlebellers, and we used to do 12 day comps to see who could do the most weight, from the floor to over you head, with KB lifts.

My personal daily best was 60,200lbs and a comp record of over 240,000lbs with a 50lb KB.
Rush
1/26/08 11:47:56PM
Hey Svar

Any tips on how not to have the KB bruise my forearm? I start doing swings, and the more it hits my forearm, the harder it is to hold on the KB. I mean, I can play through the pain, but it is detrimental to my grip, which prevents me from doing more.

Rush
1/26/08 11:52:26PM

Posted by drunkel

youtube has alot of good vids also about kettlebells.

I'll take a look. thanks