Kentuckys in a state of emergency

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Kentuckys in a state of emergency
Naturaldisaster
1/28/09 12:52:52PM
Well Kentucky is in a state of emergency because of a damn ice storm that came through last night and the night before. The last I heard over 150 trees are down all over the place, theres been 11 structure fires, like 30 other fires, Over 300,000 houses without electricity. Ice is so bad that its completely covering trees, power lines and transformers and causing them to snap in half. Winter officially sucks!
emfleek
1/28/09 1:16:34PM
I feel ya, brother. We (Northern IN) went through the same thing about a month or so ago. I was without electricity at home for just over 4 days. It sucked.

Good luck! Make sure you leave your faucets dripping...
dannyfrank
1/28/09 2:06:15PM
that sucks big time dude. glad i live in the warm weather
MMAcca
1/28/09 2:19:53PM
I'm sorry for you man.

It's times like this that us Brits are lucky we have mild weather pretty much all year round
casey64
1/28/09 3:09:02PM
We got a little storm here in east Tennessee, about two hours ago but no bad ice though, but said too get bad over night.
DCRage
1/28/09 4:01:48PM
A lot of ice here around DC. I had to take the day off work...which wasn't too bad because it meant doing my taxes. Cha-ching. Too bad I probably won't get my refund before I go to Katsucon...could've gotten a VIP ticket to next month's UWC too. (Probably going to skip this one, save money)
cowcatcher
1/28/09 4:15:17PM
thats brutal man, i hope you thaw out quickly. here in wisconsin i guess we're used to that stuff, and im betting our public works departments are better prepared for it that down in KY so it never seems too out of control.
Naturaldisaster
1/28/09 4:48:40PM
yeah this is the 2nd biggest power outage in KY history. the biggest was last september when the wind storm from Hurricane Ike came through. their sendin 1100 workers from GA to help people get power and clear up all the trees and debrees
casey64
1/28/09 4:50:56PM
A big work crew was at Craker Barrel this morning so I'm guessing that were there heading.
babalu46
1/28/09 8:08:55PM
I find it ironic that ur name is Naturaldisaster.
In all honesty though that sucks big time!!
emfleek
1/29/09 9:03:45AM

Posted by emfleek

I feel ya, brother. We (Northern IN) went through the same thing about a month or so ago. I was without electricity at home for just over 4 days. It sucked.

Good luck! Make sure you leave your faucets dripping...

In addition to leaving your faucets in "drip mode"...make sure you open the cabinets underneath your sinks, as well, to let the warmer air circulate around your pipes.
DCRage
1/29/09 9:39:30AM
And keep your car doors unlocked to make them slightly easier to get into in the morning. And, as I learned today, if you try to open them and can't, make sure they're fully shut before you drive! I was fortunate to not have one door fly open doing 70 this morning only because i was able to reach over and quickly pull it shut with one hand while driving.
pv3Hpv3p
1/29/09 9:43:41AM
That sounds pretty awefull...

Last time I was going through Kentucky an ice storm hit (right around the end of March in 06 or there abouts)... I'm from MN, so I am fairly comfortable or at least well practiced at driving in less than premium conditions... But just on that stretch of highway, I saw at least 2 accidents and barely missed getting in one myself... At least in MN they are more prepared for things like this with a seemingly limitless supply of salt trucks and state workers to clear roads etc... Got my fingers crossed for you guys though, severe winter weather can be a real bitch
casey64
1/29/09 5:46:29PM

Posted by DCRage

And keep your car doors unlocked to make them slightly easier to get into in the morning. And, as I learned today, if you try to open them and can't, make sure they're fully shut before you drive! I was fortunate to not have one door fly open doing 70 this morning only because i was able to reach over and quickly pull it shut with one hand while driving.

That would scare the human waste inside of me right out, if that was to happen to me.
DCRage
1/29/09 5:56:11PM
It only didn't today because it got opened just enough to make the light on the inside of my car flicker like a cop car's lights. Finally it got to me and I remembered I tried to open the door this morning to get in so I just thought "grab the handle and pull!" I did and thankfully heard a click and breathed a huge sigh of relief. At least it happened in front of a hospital (this one I pass every day on my commute).
DCRage
2/2/09 8:51:05AM
Not gonna get better before it gets worse. Groundhog saw shadow today. 6 more weeks of winter.
Rollins
2/2/09 1:08:58PM
stupid groundhog

hope your hanging in there naturaldisaster , we barley reach 32o down here in south La. but we just our butts kicked with a hurricane a few months back and that blows (every foul word I can think of) so I kind of know what you going through, kind of

i woke up last month and it snowed 2-3 inches and it broke an 85 yr record...it actually accumulated on roofs and all over the yards where kids could make snowmen, little do they know they''l be dead of old age before that happens around here again, the most you can hope for is small flurries for 30mins every 5-7 years they melt as soon as they hit the ground. I couldn't deal with snow and ice every winter, not this ol' southern boy! Y'all got it tough.

Good luck fellas in the colder regions.
Naturaldisaster
2/3/09 2:14:02AM
well its all good now! We never lost power thankfully cuz in my apartments they were smart enough to put the powerlines underground so trees can fall on them. but everyone i know lost power pretty much, my friends house got so cold that the fish in his fishtank actually froze solid. But the weather is heatin up a little now. Thanks for the concern everyone!
Naturaldisaster
2/3/09 2:16:28AM

Posted by babalu46

I find it ironic that ur name is Naturaldisaster.
In all honesty though that sucks big time!!

lol I made that my nickname because once I start fightin i want to leave my opponent devestated (like a natural disaster just came through) Maybe I should change it to the ICE STORM now lol