Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta UFC 87 fight possible

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta UFC 87 fight possible
Next Page »
Porch28
4/20/08 9:45:59PM
As expected, top lightweight contenders Kenny Florian (9-3) and Roger Huerta (20-1-1) are penciled in to tussle at UFC 87 at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn., on August 9, according to MMAWeekly.com.

The winner of the 155-pound tilt will more than likely earn a shot at the title against either UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn or Sean Sherk — the two are expected to face off at UFC 84: “Ill Will” on May 24.

LINK
ThePlague
4/20/08 9:55:01PM
This could easily be a fight of the year contender. I'd love to see Kenny win this, but after the Lauzon performance I don't think he has the striking power to put Huerta away, and Huerta's a dervish on the ground...
Twenty20Dollars
4/20/08 10:07:33PM
Huerta is going to take this.

Huerta vs Sherk december 2008
masodd
4/20/08 10:20:55PM
I can't wait for this fight. I would say ken-flo vs. Penn in November or December
RMFG_187
4/20/08 10:23:22PM
THIS FIGHT IS GUARANTEED.

at the bell center, he was doing an interview with SportsNet (canadian sports channel) and they asked whats next for him. me and a few ppl in the background yelled "Kick Kenflos Ass!"
Roger turned around and said ask these guys.

so i guess Huerta confirmed it.
quezocrema0032
4/20/08 10:38:02PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Wow 0 for 2 in 1 statement
no way either of them take it
StevieC
4/20/08 10:43:27PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

How is there no way Huerta and Sherk fight? I think I found a BJ nut hugger!! and even worse, a KenFlo nut hugger.

Twenty20Dollars
4/20/08 10:44:43PM
hey this is mma, nothing is for sure.

but you never know it could still happen only not for the title, huerta could fight sherk in a 3 round bout, see hhaha
ohiostate1016
4/20/08 10:49:28PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Exactly. The only way they fight is if there is a stipulation where the losers of these two fights have to face off in December.
quezocrema0032
4/20/08 10:53:12PM

Posted by StevieC

Posted by quezocrema0032

How is there no way Huerta and Sherk fight? I think I found a BJ nut hugger!! and even worse, a KenFlo nut hugger.

ha being a bit byest are u ? i mean im sure a guy from minisota isnt gona pick against sherk ... and not a ken flo nut hugger just a huerta hater thats all
Twenty20Dollars
4/20/08 10:53:41PM
haha i can still dream of it happening for the title. even if sherk and huerta are the losers.............................................................................which im hoping that doesnt happen.

Bj with dominant if they both lose
wolfman
4/20/08 11:08:29PM

Even Kenflo's twin is going against him...I'm definitely picking Huerta now.
gartface
4/20/08 11:16:00PM

Posted by wolfman

Good one.

Kenflo takes this, he's too well rounded for Huerta.
jgtribbett
4/20/08 11:44:42PM
florian vs bj.. then sherk vs joe daddy and huerta/ griffon
kopower
4/20/08 11:46:36PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by wolfman

Good one.

Kenflo takes this, he's too well rounded for Huerta.

I don't know about too well rounded. Huerta has everything that Kenflo has and we saw Huerta can take a puch too. Should be a great fight, only way I see Kenflo winning is by slicing Rogers head open with his elbows.
GrandMaster313
4/20/08 11:48:16PM

ill make a bet with you it's Penn/Huerta
prozacnation1978
4/21/08 12:18:33AM
good fight, maybe fight of the year, i think ken flo does have the edge, if huerta wins it will be by decision, he won't submit ken flo. but i am looking forward to this fight.
EON
4/21/08 12:20:32AM
everyones saying huerta is overrated lol priceless he can actually beat a wrestler more you can say for florian, i'd say overrated fits florian pretty well, they keep giving him so/so opponents to build him and his bad record up, why cant he fight a top fighter like griffin or maynard, how can you people rate him so high when he dosnt beat the elite, huerta's gonna knock ben stiller out cold, believe that
RMFG_187
4/21/08 12:45:05AM

Posted by EON

everyones saying huerta is overrated lol priceless he can actually beat a wrestler more you can say for florian, i'd say overrated fits florian pretty well, they keep giving him so/so opponents to build him and his bad record up, why cant he fight a top fighter like griffin or maynard, how can you people rate him so high when he dosnt beat the elite, huerta's gonna knock ben stiller out cold, believe that

Tyson ande Maynard arn't even top 10

Tyson got a weird and LUCKY decision in his last fight. and Maynard is 1-0 1 NC in the UFC. KenFlo is very respected highly ranked LW. He went 5 with Sherk, and OWNED Lauzon. This is Huerta's Big Test.

KenFlo would run right through Gray and Tyson. They are both young, and will be set up with second tier fights for a bit, seeing as how either KenFlo or Huerta will be fighting for the belt.

IMO

1 Sherk
2 BJ
3 KenFlo
4 Huerta
5 Tie (Tavares/Nate/Clementi)
bobby_loco13
4/21/08 2:20:23AM
should be an amazing fight.
Arriba Huerta!!!
EON
4/21/08 2:37:41AM

Posted by RMFG_187

i didnt say they were

Posted by RMFG_187

Tyson got a weird and LUCKY decision in his last fight.

im one of the few people who agree with you, i think gleison won by split decision

Posted by RMFG_187

KenFlo is very respected highly ranked LW. He went 5 with Sherk, and OWNED Lauzon. This is Huerta's Big Test.

highly respected, who has he beat? an injured din thomas, who else? he couldnt even finish sherk who does absolutly nothing in fights, guida would do the same thing to florian so in fact this is florian's fight to gain not roger who has beaten better competition

Posted by RMFG_187

KenFlo would run right through Gray and Tyson.

Thats just your blatent opinion with no thought involved and shows how florian fans think way too highly of him, who has he beat that makes you think so blindly high of him? thats ridiculous

Posted by RMFG_187

IMO

1 Sherk
2 BJ
3 KenFlo
4 Huerta

Thus proving my point that Florian fans think way to highly of him that you would put him ahead of Huerta, Ishida, Melendez, JZ Calvan, Gomi, Stevenson and Sakurai, wow

Sherk #1 LOL, last time i checked Penn was champ and has beaten a better wrestler in Hughes and overall better competition than Sherk has. Sherk fans are relentlessly dull (like how he fights) with this "Sherk with take down Penn at will and win by 5 rounds LnP" when GSP and Hughes had there ways with Sherk and Penn took GSP to the distance in one of the greatest fights in history and has beaten Hughes within 3 minutes and GSP and Hughes had very hard times getting him down if at all and all the sudden Sherk (a lesser wrestler) is gonna hold down / beat Penn easily if at all?

i cant wait til the cheater gets KO'd or Sub'd in the first or second round to show up the GSP and Sherk fans,

Skill > Cheating in MMA, all day every day
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/21/08 9:11:41AM
hope this fight happens, still dont know who to pick
StevieC
4/21/08 9:41:19AM

Posted by EON

Posted by RMFG_187

i didnt say they were

Posted by RMFG_187

Tyson got a weird and LUCKY decision in his last fight.

im one of the few people who agree with you, i think gleison won by split decision

Posted by RMFG_187

KenFlo is very respected highly ranked LW. He went 5 with Sherk, and OWNED Lauzon. This is Huerta's Big Test.

highly respected, who has he beat? an injured din thomas, who else? he couldnt even finish sherk who does absolutly nothing in fights, guida would do the same thing to florian so in fact this is florian's fight to gain not roger who has beaten better competition

Posted by RMFG_187

KenFlo would run right through Gray and Tyson.

Thats just your blatent opinion with no thought involved and shows how florian fans think way too highly of him, who has he beat that makes you think so blindly high of him? thats ridiculous

Posted by RMFG_187

IMO

1 Sherk
2 BJ
3 KenFlo
4 Huerta

Thus proving my point that Florian fans think way to highly of him that you would put him ahead of Huerta, Ishida, Melendez, JZ Calvan, Gomi, Stevenson and Sakurai, wow

Sherk #1 LOL, last time i checked Penn was champ and has beaten a better wrestler in Hughes and overall better competition than Sherk has. Sherk fans are relentlessly dull (like how he fights) with this "Sherk with take down Penn at will and win by 5 rounds LnP" when GSP and Hughes had there ways with Sherk and Penn took GSP to the distance in one of the greatest fights in history and has beaten Hughes within 3 minutes and GSP and Hughes had very hard times getting him down if at all and all the sudden Sherk (a lesser wrestler) is gonna hold down / beat Penn easily if at all?

i cant wait til the cheater gets KO'd or Sub'd in the first or second round to show up the GSP and Sherk fans,

Skill > Cheating in MMA, all day every day

How can you say Tyson Griffin lost? You must of been watching a different fight. And I think his top 5 rankings were UFC rankings only, not MMA.

And as far as Sherk goes you can't discount the guy just like you can't discount BJ, they both are extreamly good at there craft and it's going to be an amazing fight, neither one will be dominate. I have Sherk winning a UD. And not because I am from Minnesota. And in peoples minds Penn isn't the champ because he hasn't beat Sherk yet. Even Dana White thinks the Sherk/roid thing was a bunch of crap and that is why they are fighting so quick again.
Sherk vs Hughes was a very close fight, go back and watch it if you think Hughes won that by domination because he clearly did not.
GSP vs Sherk, ok for one it is GSP probably the best fighter 184 pounds down, maybe the best p4p. So that fact that Sherk got dominated by the best fighter out there is doesn't downgrade Sherk one bit. Penn cut GSP open in the first round, the second and third round totally belonged to GSP. But it was a great fight.

I don't hate BJ, I actually really like him and I think it is going to be the fight of the year. But to say that either one will dominate the other is moronic.

Huerta is a cool guy but like many have said KenFlo has become worlds better than he was on the Ultimate Fighter. Huerta is relentless though, that should also be a sweet fight.

IriShame
4/21/08 10:58:14AM
This is a strong canidate for fight of the year. Huerta is a great scrambler and a better striker than KenFlo but Kenny has superior GnP. It's going to come down to whether KenFlo can keep Huerta down to land elbows or maybe catch him scrambleing and take his back for a Rear Naked. IMO neither of those things happens and Huerta gets up and makes KenFlo pay with a head kick TKO. Not that any of it will make a difference against "The Hilo Kid". Penn's got this division sewn up for the forseeable future. I'd like to see the ufc bring in Gomi for another go around with Penn.
whardin19
4/21/08 2:56:56PM
I want to see this fight so bad. I like both fighters a ton. I'm not too sure which one I'd route for. This fight could actually be the Main Event if there isn't a title fight on UFC 87. But can't be any lower than a co-main event.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
4/21/08 3:23:18PM
I'm a fan of both this is one of those fights where I have to oppose someone I have never went against before and in this fight I'm going for Florian.
An amazing fight for sure.
RMFG_187
4/21/08 10:46:52PM
UFC top 5. not in the world.
RMFG_187
4/21/08 10:49:25PM

i meant UFC top 5. and ya, Sherk ahead of BJ.

just watch
EON
4/21/08 11:22:50PM

Posted by StevieC

I have Sherk winning a UD. And not because I am from Minnesota. And in peoples minds Penn isn't the champ because he hasn't beat Sherk yet.

Biased and an Oxymoron, sherks not champ because he cheated, many murderers and criminals have passed lie detectors i could name a few, dosnt mean shit, he got caught and hes not the champ because he couldnt cycle them, get over it, you root for a cheater.

Posted by SteveC

Sherk vs Hughes was a very close fight, go back and watch it if you think Hughes won that by domination because he clearly did not.

you are clearly a sherk nuthugger if you think he wasnt dominated

Posted by SteveC

GSP vs Sherk, ok for one it is GSP probably the best fighter 184 pounds down, maybe the best p4p. So that fact that Sherk got dominated by the best fighter out there is doesn't downgrade Sherk one bit. Penn cut GSP open in the first round, the second and third round totally belonged to GSP. But it was a great fight.

I think Penn beat GSP as do many people, could have been a draw (should have been) this is a fight of styles, Penn has proven he can beat Sherks boring style of fighter time and again this is like people thinking Hendo was gonna hold down Anderson for 5 rounds, just asinine, you will be shocked how Sherk gets outclassed within 1 or 2 rounds

Posted by SteveC

I don't hate BJ, I actually really like him and I think it is going to be the fight of the year. But to say that either one will dominate the other is moronic.

BJ will dominate, guarenteed
EON
4/21/08 11:26:10PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Sherk ahead of BJ.

just watch

skill > cheating, you watch

this will be only the 2nd fight i can watch with Sherk in it besides the GSp fight because 1 he will lose and 2 Penn will actually make it exciting and finish it quickly like he did to Hughes (a better fighter than sherk) your just another Penn hater, hey if you wanna root for boring roiders be my guest.
Pages: [1] 2