Kenny Florian Ranks UFC Lightweight Division

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Kenny Florian Ranks UFC Lightweight Division
juanez13
1/11/08 7:51:23PM
KENNY: Excluding the guys fighting for the lightweight title on the 19th and excluding myself, I think the top five, in no particular order, are Sean Sherk, Frankie Edgar, Roger Huerta, Tyson Griffin and Din Thomas. I base this on the quality of their wins and based on their skills at this point in the careers. Sherk has some great all around skills and does what he wants when he wants to do it. He is a game and very experienced fighter. Frankie Edgar has great takedowns, good stand up and always finds a way to win. Huerta is a tough, tough guy who has great cardio and a well rounded game. Tyson Griffin is very well rounded and tough as nails. He has quality wins over tough fighters and is always dangerous. Din Thomas is a guy who has beaten some of the toughest guys around and is from a great camp. Expect him to come back and challenge for the title.

.link

I'd say Florian is just about spot on with his assessments, which should also be an indication of how fractured the top talent area in this weight class across the various organizations. Among all divisions, the UFC has the most work to do in locking up the "strays". But given how many are Japanese - and how reluctant they might be to leave Japan to fight elsewhere - it's safe to assume 2008 will still be a year of parity among the top promotions with regard to their lock on this division's elite talent pool
loller90278
1/11/08 9:22:14PM
very self-promoting florian is.. why does he rank din thomas as top 5? oh yah, cuz he beat him! how does he not mention bj penn is beyond me.
Pookie
1/11/08 9:25:13PM

Posted by loller90278

very self-promoting florian is.. why does he rank din thomas as top 5? oh yah, cuz he beat him! how does he not mention bj penn is beyond me.

He stated excluding the 2 fighting for the title.
Personally id take out Huerta and replace him Tavares
Mayhem13
1/11/08 9:39:04PM
I'd replace Din Thomas with Tavares, but other then that looks good to me
loonytnt
1/11/08 10:28:49PM
din not top 5 maybe top 10
Believe-in-judo81
1/12/08 2:56:41AM
In the UFC only? Din is definitely top five, he's no spring chicken anymore but if he comes back 100% from that injury he's going to be right back in the title mix quick.Fairly Confident that BJ and Sherk would beat him, and Joe Daddy is a slight favorite if he manages to keep it mainly on the ground, but I would favour DIn over pretty much everyone else currently in the Division. Thiago Tavares is still somewhat untested in my book and lost to Tyson Griffin Recently, and I think Tyson Griffin's rotten striking defense would get him picked apart against Din. Other than that, I think DIn is a pretty clear favorite over anyone else there at this time, but I would like to see a rematch with Florian, was too bad that his knee blew out in that one.
telnights
1/12/08 4:07:04AM
Hum lets see here.

Florian's
Sean Sherk, Frankie Edgar, Roger Huerta, Tyson Griffin and Din Thomas

Mine in no order
BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar, Kenny Florian,Joe Stevenson, Hermes Franca
rabbit915
1/12/08 9:40:10AM
Id have to say he more like ranks the top 8 because you know he includes himself and also the two title fighters.
Mayhem13
1/12/08 9:43:02AM

Posted by telnights

Hum lets see here.

Florian's

Mine in no order

Florian excluded himself, penn, and stevenson....

and how can you not have Sherk in your top 5?
Rush
1/12/08 10:28:08AM
Only 4 of my top 10 are in the UFC.

Penn, Stevenson, Sherk and Franca
telnights
1/12/08 6:08:56PM

Posted by Mayhem13

Posted by telnights

Hum lets see here.

Florian's

Mine in no order

Florian excluded himself, penn, and stevenson....

and how can you not have Sherk in your top 5?

Yeah I know, I wasn't saying Florian was wrong just cant have a real top 5 by taking out the top 3 lol. On Sherk I just don't think Sherk is going to come back a top 5 fighter. I think he is a great fighter and I'm in no way saying he is boring but I think this is going to hugely affect his game.

You have 2 ways of looking at this.

1. You think he really was innocent. Which in that case he is going to be worrying the hole time about the supplements he takes and is he going to test positive again and many other things. In others words he mind is going to be some where else and not on the fight.

2. He was on roids and he lied. Which means he isn't on them anymore and he is going to loss one of his biggest advantages at 155 his strength.

So in my opinion as of right now he isn't a top 5 fighter. Because with those added issues I think he would losses to most people I listed in my top 5. But again its just my opinion. Now in 2 - 3 fights I think he maybe a top 5 again maybe even top 2. Thats me hoping he didn't lie to us and its just him working out the mental side of things.