Kenny Florian is ‘fired up,’ still wants BJs belt

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kenny Florian is ‘fired up,’ still wants BJs belt
jae_1833
8/23/09 11:33:12PM
link

“I’m still at the top of the division and in one or two fights I think I can put myself back into contention to fight for the belt again. In order to do that, I’m going to have to face some tough guys, but I’m motivated and excited with that possibility…. In no way, shape or form did (Keith) ever use [the eye poke allegation] as an excuse, and that’s definitely not the reason I lost. I lost because B.J. was the better fighter that night, simple as that…. It’s little things that I should have done better. For me, it’s basically, ‘stop talking and start doing.’ I just want to get back to training and refine everything and just get back in the cage. I’m just motivated and fired up to fight someone right now.”

bigbubbano23
8/24/09 1:13:28AM
frankie edgar next i hope.
joshryanshepherd
8/24/09 1:25:17AM

Posted by bigbubbano23

frankie edgar next i hope.

I acctually think Frankie would just do what Penn did.
clintjack
8/24/09 1:28:32AM

"I acctually think Frankie would just do what Penn did."

Yep!
ocho-cinco
8/24/09 3:09:55AM
It's not that I can't see Frankie Edgar beating Florian. It's that I can't see him doing it the way BJ did. Edgar has a strong over all game, but his take down defense, and subs aren't anywhere near BJ Penns. Thats not a diss to Edgar, just a praise to Penns talent.
Would love to see Florian/Edgar fight. I think I'd lean toward Florian taking it, but it's really even.
mentalcase
8/24/09 3:17:34AM

Kenflo vs Edgar would be a great competitive fight but the only way Edgar could sub Kenny is if he rocked him heavily first
grappler0000
8/24/09 6:16:46AM
I'm glad Kenny still has his eyes on the prize...I just hope we never have to hear that sound byte of him saying he wants BJ's belt again.
finnish_line
8/24/09 9:24:32AM

Kenny the gate keeper.
nickcuc547
8/24/09 10:22:24AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

It's not that I can't see Frankie Edgar beating Florian. It's that I can't see him doing it the way BJ did. Edgar has a strong over all game, but his take down defense, and subs aren't anywhere near BJ Penns. Thats not a diss to Edgar, just a praise to Penns talent.
Would love to see Florian/Edgar fight. I think I'd lean toward Florian taking it, but it's really even.

agree, actually i don't think edgar would beat florian but if he were too i think it would look more like sean sherk's fight with kenny rather than bj's. But I think kenny's jiu jitsu is good enough to handle frankie's wrestling.

Honestly though, I think he gets a rematch with sherk so long as he gets by tibau (which I don't think he'll have a problem doing)
emfleek
8/24/09 10:46:31AM

Posted by finnish_line

Kenny the gate keeper.

Not many "gate keepers" go 12-3 in the big leagues and get numerous title shots (aka "they're always in title contention")
AchillesHeel
8/24/09 11:50:15AM

Posted by finnish_line

Kenny the gate keeper.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

jocka
8/24/09 12:07:26PM

Posted by finnish_line

Kenny the gate keeper.

I love Kenny but it looks like he is turning into the LW version of Rich Franklin, never good enough to beat the champ but if you beat him you get a shop at the champ.
KaibaThedon
8/24/09 12:33:28PM
Frankie Edgar is the answer, but I don't think he'd sub Florian by any stretch of the imagination...

Sherk has to beat Tibau, then Kenny gets a Sherk rematch.

LW division ftw!
vinny_cro_cop_q
8/24/09 1:08:59PM

Posted by grappler0000

I'm glad Kenny still has his eyes on the prize...I just hope we never have to hear that sound byte of him saying he wants BJ's belt again.

that sound byte is STILL stuck in my head
emfleek
8/24/09 1:11:53PM

Posted by jocka

I love Kenny but it looks like he is turning into the LW version of Rich Franklin, never good enough to beat the champ but if you beat him you get a shop at the champ.

You're talking about the same Rich Franklin that won the UFC Middleweight Championship and then successfully defended that same title before ultimately losing it to (arguably) the best pound for pound fighter on the planet?

If Florian is going to be considered a gate keeper in the UFC then every Lightweight fighter (except Penn) on the roster should be considered a gate keeper.
jae_1833
8/24/09 3:23:42PM
UFC LW Gatekeepers: Hermes Franca, Kurt Pellegrino, and dare I think Tyson Griffin!!
BigBadAl
8/24/09 3:50:32PM
Kenny has had 2 shots now and failed. I think there are a lot of fighters ahead of him for the next title shot and rightly so. Kenny is OK but the less he is on the less I have to see his helmet of a brother.
finnish_line
8/24/09 4:27:37PM

Kenny will have to win his next 5 or 6 fights to get a THIRD title shot at Lightweight.

That is almost impossible, so he's a gatekeeper for the foreseeable future.

If Karo kept winning he'd have gotten a title shot too. But since that didn't happen he was the WW gatekeeper by default.

This is the new role I see for Kenny.
CwB
8/24/09 8:51:56PM
Sadly for florian i think he will be taking a sharp decline in the rankings
I think kenny will lose to Edgar, Maynard, Sherk, and Sanchez which will land him in the number 6 spot in the ufc top ten and will put him on the fringe of top ten lightweights in the world