Kenny Florian to fight Roger Huerta-Clay Guida winner in February/March?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Kenny Florian to fight Roger Huerta-Clay Guida winner in February/March?
nickcuc547
11/24/07 11:06:04AM
Lightweight contender Kenny Florian reveals that he could possibly fight an opponent based on what happens in the next two weeks. Roger Huerta and Clay Guida will scrap during the main event at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 6 Finale on December 8, which would set up a great 155-pound clash in 2008 (UFC 81 or UFC 82) and possibly determine a number one contender if the Sean Sherk situation continues to stall.

http://mmamania.com/2007/11/24/kenny-florian-to-fight-roger-huerta-clay-guida-winner-in-februarymarch/
Rush
11/24/07 11:06:36AM
Sounds reasonable to me.
nickcuc547
11/24/07 11:07:39AM
florian vs. either one of these guys will be a great fight. i would like to see how kenny does against a very aggressive fighter, i like kenny over either one of these guys but it will be a war either way and i wouldnt be at all suprised if huerta or guida beats him.
AchillesHeel
11/24/07 11:46:41AM

Posted by nickcuc547

florian vs. either one of these guys will be a great fight.

I still think he should fight Frank Edgar, but I agree.
nickcuc547
11/24/07 12:32:45PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by nickcuc547

florian vs. either one of these guys will be a great fight.

I still think he should fight Frank Edgar, but I agree.

imo if huerta wins it should be him, but if guida wins i think it should be edgar because guida has a couple of losses in the ufc.
supatolacyl
11/24/07 12:46:40PM
I hope it's going to be a Guida/Florian fight. I need someone to pull for. I find it hard to route for Florian for some reason I just can't bring myself to do it. I also am not a big fan of Huerta, but that is probably more the UFC's fault then Huerta's. I dislike how they are portraying Huerta as this huge rising star, but protect him by giving him countless first timers, so his W count goes up. I really enjoy watching guida fight though, he puts all he has into each and every fight and I'll continue pulling for him.
tuvok500
11/24/07 1:14:09PM

Posted by supatolacyl

I hope it's going to be a Guida/Florian fight. I need someone to pull for. I find it hard to route for Florian for some reason I just can't bring myself to do it. I also am not a big fan of Huerta, but that is probably more the UFC's fault then Huerta's. I dislike how they are portraying Huerta as this huge rising star, but protect him by giving him countless first timers, so his W count goes up. I really enjoy watching guida fight though, he puts all he has into each and every fight and I'll continue pulling for him.

i also think it will be Guida / Florian !!

Huerta will not be able to control a fast pace guy like Guida, it will be a huge increasement of competitiveness for Huerta to fight Guida !!

even if i was picking Huerta a couple of days ago, some of my teamate told me that i was picking him only because of his beautiful HAT !!! LOL

hippysmacker
11/24/07 1:19:45PM
If one them fights Florian, he better work on his sub and elbow defense. I think Florian beats either, but loses to Edgar the same way he lost to Sherk, just in 3 rounds this time.
jae_1833
11/24/07 1:23:54PM
Perfect....then the winner v florian can go for the title when that is all settled.
CornishMMA
11/24/07 2:29:42PM

Posted by jae_1833

Perfect....then the winner v florian can go for the title when that is all settled.

Not so much perfect timing actually, Sherk would be ready to defend his title at July at the latest, so this fight would be Feb/March so the winner would have to wait a good 8 months for their title shot

No need for a #1 contender fight at LW until July or whenever Sherk defends, if he gets cleared he can fight the winner of the Interim fight around May
nickcuc547
11/24/07 2:56:30PM

Posted by hippysmacker

If one them fights Florian, he better work on his sub and elbow defense. I think Florian beats either, but loses to Edgar the same way he lost to Sherk, just in 3 rounds this time.

i think florian can beat edgar because he doesnt have the brute gorilla strength of sherk. edgar can control him but kenny will have a much better chance of pulling off a sub on the bottom, he almost got sherk a couple of times.
wapttn
11/24/07 5:07:31PM
agreed.. to say that edgar will be able to do what sherk did is a very bold statement. Not every wrestler can control every nonwrestler on the ground. Kenny's jj is one of the best in the division and he's a very intelligent fighter. Edgar lacks the strength advantage that sherk has, and its that advantage that gets him out of the subs and lets him transition from positions that other fighters would be stuck in. If edgar put kenny on his back, he'd definately get subbed.. edgar doesnt have the gnp skills to finish a decent fighter from guard so assuming that edgar can get florian down early each round and keep him on his back, you're giving florian 15 minutes to find and lock in a sub.. game over for edgar
loller90278
11/24/07 5:19:15PM
ill take huerta to win over guida, florian.

jae_1833
11/25/07 1:09:39PM
Yeah, I know the timing isn't so perfect, but the way the UFC Brass has been moving it's upper tier guys nowadays it's good to settle this inevitable fight now. Just think about it this way, winner takes on Florian, for #1 contender and loser takes on the loser of Joe v BJ. That way whenever Sherk's Sh!t is settled there will be an establishement in place for contender's to defend or challenge for the title. I have a feeling like this div is going to slow down just like the WW div...it's just soo stacked with good competition!!
NatedawgThaM
11/25/07 1:19:31PM
Thats lame if it's #1 contenders match. Frankie Edgar deserves it more then all 3 of them IMO.

But the matches would be good though.
jae_1833
11/25/07 1:39:50PM
Edgar....are you kidding??!! The kid's good and all but he only had 3 UFC fights(granted they were all Ws). Huerta has won 5 already this year (3 of them KO) and Florian has 3 submission wins over really good competition this year as well. Edgar has beaten tougher comp than Huerta but has done it in a way that does not impress the UFC Brass. Ground control has to be balanced with submissions and GNP!
NatedawgThaM
11/25/07 4:45:42PM
Dude obviously you didn't see Edgar vs Griffin. it was a war on the feet and NP on the ground. Fight of the year in my book. he beat Fisher using GNP and made it look easy. Huerta is overrated. He beat C maybe even D level fighters. Maybe Garcia could be counted as a B level but that's it. Edgar could have finished them off too. He stopped Bocek. Who is probably better then the competiton Huerta faced. Edgar beat Griffin who has a win over Guida(contorversy or not)

Edgar > Huerta IMO
jiujitsufreak74
11/25/07 4:53:24PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Dude obviously you didn't see Edgar vs Griffin. it was a war on the feet and NP on the ground. Fight of the year in my book. he beat Fisher using GNP and made it look easy. Huerta is overrated. He beat C maybe even D level fighters. Maybe Garcia could be counted as a B level but that's it. Edgar could have finished them off too. He stopped Bocek. Who is probably better then the competiton Huerta faced. Edgar beat Griffin who has a win over Guida(contorversy or not)

Edgar > Huerta IMO

even though i love huerta, i am going to have to agree. huerta has wins over lower level fighters than edgar does. just watch as edgar controlled well respected spencer fisher (albeit LnP) and the way he warred with tyson griffin, griffin who has proven he belongs in the ufc with great fights with guida, the aforementioned edgar and thiago tavarez . grifin also has a win over faber, which IMO is a pretty damn big win. edgar has proven he is among the top in the ufc while as much as it pains me to say it, huerta really hasn't been tested although this fight with guida will truly show how tough huerta is. i believe edgar should get florian right about now, it fits the LW title picture and have the winner of guida and huerta fight griffin. the ufc LW division is growing and i am enjoying all of the future match ups that even joe silva can't screw up.
NatedawgThaM
11/25/07 5:20:24PM
Don't get me wrong. i don't hate Huerta. He's a nice young talent. I just don't think he's ready yet. But if he can actually beat up Guida in win then I will take him seriously.

If he beats Guida who is probably one of the most respected fighters in the game then I will show him mad respect. I think the winner of tha fight should fight Florian. Maybe #1 contender if Edgar is already getting the #1 contender spot ahead of them because Florian hasn't beaten really top 10 either. His biggest win since the sherk fight has been Din Thomas. I haven't heard of the rest of the peope he's beaten. But's he been pretty impressive though.

All I know id the LW divison rules. Exciting fights EVERYWHERE!!!
bayonetxwork
11/25/07 9:28:31PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Thats lame if it's #1 contenders match. Frankie Edgar deserves it more then all 3 of them IMO.

I don't know if he deserves it hte most. But I'd like to see Edgar vs. Florian to set up for a title shot. And somehow throw BJ in there. Maybe have Edgar vs. BJ, Florian vs. Winner of Huetar/Guida. Have the two winners fight for the interim.
jiujitsufreak74
11/25/07 10:25:56PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I don't know if he deserves it hte most. But I'd like to see Edgar vs. Florian to set up for a title shot. And somehow throw BJ in there. Maybe have Edgar vs. BJ, Florian vs. Winner of Huetar/Guida. Have the two winners fight for the interim.

you are forgetting that bj is already fighting for the interim against joe daddy unless i am missing something. i think edgar should get florian, the winner of guida/huerta gets tyson (either setting up a rematch b/w guida and tyson or just a great fight b/w huerta and tyson) and have the loser face spencer fisher. IMO, thats what joe silva should do with the LW even though it would mean florian waitng just a little bit longer.
stickyhash421
11/25/07 10:40:08PM
honestly i dont like florian or sherk but id rather see florian fight for the belt 10 times outta 10 before i ever watch sherk again, i dont like florian cus of his cocky attitude and how happy he was when he injured thomas, what a pile
jae_1833
11/25/07 10:59:36PM
Edgar's last win was still a LNP win to me, I wan't something better than that from a champion...that's right I'm not a Sherk fan either...it's just plain boring!! Besides does anyone else see that they are starting to make Fisher and Guida gate keepers for the LW Div or is it just me?
jiujitsufreak74
11/25/07 11:05:52PM

Posted by jae_1833

Edgar's last win was still a LNP win to me, I wan't something better than that from a champion...that's right I'm not a Sherk fan either...it's just plain boring!! Besides does anyone else see that they are starting to make Fisher and Guida gate keepers for the LW Div or is it just me?

i agree that LnP is boring, but that was the gameplan edgar had to use in order to defeat fisher. i have not seen him LnP in most of his other fights and his fight with griffin was just awesome. i believe fisher is a gatekeeper in the LW division and the ufc should utilize him as that role, he fits it perfectly (see the gatekeeper thread for my rationale). as for guida, i think huerta needs a test so they put him up against guida. i don't think guida is being used as a gatekeeper because what is the ufc supposed to do with a guy who, albeit controversially, has two losses in the division. you can't just give him a title shot after he goes 2-2 in the ufc. now, i think he is definitely talented enough to get a title shot, but joe silva is just put in a situation where he can't have him going for the gold just yet until he compiles more wins over fighters who are also trying to prove themselves like hurta or maybe a rematch with griffin or even florian.
NatedawgThaM
11/25/07 11:06:24PM

Posted by jae_1833

Just like you I can't stand LNP but I wrestle so I understand how hard to it is to take somebody down and just control them nevertheless start throwing strikers or working on subs. Plus you also can't blame him because it was on fight. He was being cautious. He got rocked by Bocek and knew a Fisher punch could put him out so he used his wrestling and knew Fisher knows subs so he just controled and him dominated but outwrestling. It wasn't total LNP but there was frequent times were he wasn't flowing flurries.

So yeah it was one performance. You have guys who do it all the time like Tito and Sherk and people still love them. I don't see why Edgar should be penalized for that. It was even Sherks 1st fight at LW too! So Edgar can't get a title shot?

btw, Edgar is my fv. lw fighter hence why I'm sticking up for him so bad
TOMMYAYO05
11/26/07 2:32:54AM
I would love to see Kenflo vs either fighter i see these guys as being very good and would both give joedaddy a good fight too,buttttt well behind a bj penn stature or a sean sherk.I think Huerta would have the best shot.
atlas777
11/26/07 11:48:47AM
Im a fan of Huerta so i would like to see him win this fight as well as over Florian if he can do it im not sure he has tons of talent and he is a good fighter its not his fault that the ufc keeps giving him first time fighters but he has done well against all of them you never know what your going to get in first timers i mean look what happened to keith jardine against houston alexander i think Huerta can pull out a win against Guida and anything after that i willtalk about on a later date.
sberlan
12/11/07 6:06:15PM
ill take huerta, we all seen him come back in the 2nd. Hes a warrior, i just hope people dont start jumping on the roger bandwagon now that hes proven himself
TimW001
12/11/07 6:42:51PM
Huerta better train damn hard!