KENNY FLORIAN UFC 84 FIGHT BREAKDOWN

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » KENNY FLORIAN UFC 84 FIGHT BREAKDOWN
SmileR
5/23/08 8:17:48PM
Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendes:
I know Thiago Silva is a tough, tough fighter. He's obviously proved he has some ground skills. I don't know too much about Mendes. We'll see what happens. It's always interesting seeing how the newcomers come in and do.

When you're in the UFC, there are no easy fights. There really aren't. You’ve seen it before and I'm sure you'll see it many times over, that new guy coming in can be the big time spoiler.

Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljik
From what I hear from Gouveia, he's a monster in the gym and it looks like he should be able to take this one for sure. He's got a lot of potential and I think he can make waves in that division. He's one of those guys who needs to live up to the expectations that people have for him.

Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva
I think the key for Jardine is being able to keep him on the outside. You don't want to trade on the inside with Wanderlei Silva. I think that's where Silva has most of his power. That's where Jardine got caught against Houston Alexander. I think he needs to keep that distance and utilize those leg kicks. At the same time, from what I hear, Wanderlei Silva is working with a very good Thai coach. It looks like he's picking up his Thai training and it has the makings of an absolute war. This is a huge fight for both of these guys.

Usually when he has been coming forward, in his most recent fights, Wanderlei has been using punches. With that said, Jardine needs to take him out with leg kicks. Now, if this is the old Wanderlei that comes in with punches, Thai clinch, flying knees, it could definitely cause a lot of problems for Jardine. I wouldn't be surprised if Jardine does a takedown. I'd be surprised if Wanderlei Silva initiated one. But I wouldn't be surprised if Jardine utilized that reach at the long range level and then coming in and shooting in at the end of those rounds, stealing those rounds to keep Wanderlei off-balanced like Chuck Liddell did.

Link
Jackelope
5/23/08 8:55:06PM
Sounds like he thinks what everyone else thinks

Well, at least those who have half a brain about MMA
holt8081
5/23/08 9:05:58PM
why do they even let that guy talk.
whardin19
5/24/08 11:18:35AM
I watched a video of this on UFC.com earlier yesterday. But, yeah I agree with most of what Kenny had to say. I like Kenny as a colour commentator guy. The UFC needs to use him more in that faccet.
MMAcca
5/24/08 11:37:07AM
Hope Kenny didn't get splinters from all that fence sitting.......
lordicast
5/24/08 3:56:56PM

With Machida, he's very savvy, very strategic, and just really good at what he does. He's so good about getting people to play his game. He is very, very good off his back, great at sweeping. However, against a good wrestler like Tito, it may be difficult to sweep him.

Uhhhh Tito couldnt even take down Forrest! what makes you like he can take down a slippery guy like machida