Kenny Florian elbow damage on Joe Lauzon’s head (Pic)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Kenny Florian elbow damage on Joe Lauzon’s head (Pic)
juanez13
4/17/08 6:02:14PM

“… nothing behind the ear is legal. Put a set of over the top head phones on, and nothing behind the band is legal

LINK
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
skinnator
4/17/08 6:32:40PM
All I can say is OUCH!
skatenate
4/17/08 7:02:40PM
ddaaammmnnn, thats gotta hurt!
murphy_16
4/17/08 9:58:52PM
BULLSHIT
emfleek
4/17/08 10:14:59PM
Put some 'Tussin on it and call me in the morning, Joe.

Signed,
Dr. Fleek
ocho-cinco
4/17/08 11:09:30PM
If thats the rule, then I guess thoes were illegal strikes, but guys get hit on the top of the head almost every fight. Like Joe Rogan pointed out during the fight, the danger area is more toward the base of the spine on the back of your neck, where it connects to the skull. It's kind of a "grey area" rule, that needs more clearification, so everyone understands better.
jiujitsufreak74
4/17/08 11:26:07PM
form that angle it looks like only one was illegal (in terms of where the cuts are...i'm sure there were more). the rule is illegal blows consist of blows to the back of the neck and the base of the skull which encompass the area from ear to ear on the reversed side of your head. so draw a parallel line from big ear to big ear and you will see that only one of the cuts is in an illegal area, which is hard to control when your striking like crazy.
bls1919
4/18/08 12:04:17AM
From the tops of the earsand below would be my interpetation of back of the head strikes. In that case Kenny didnt throw any "illegal" strikes
IriShame
4/18/08 2:49:54AM
Also, if an elbow is coming towards the top of your head and you put your chin down and take it in the back of the head, whos fault is that? It's hard to fault someone for an illegal strike if their opponent turns into it.
WalkHardAllDay
4/18/08 9:37:58AM
either way kenny florian killed him
Salty
4/18/08 12:33:10PM
like the quote says in the first post, that was what herb dean told both kenny and joe before the fight so yes those are illegal strikes no matter how you put it, the ref came out and told them what was off limits and kenny didn't listen so there is no defending kenny by saying "it wasn't near the base of the neck" he knew where he was and wasn't allowed to strike.
jiujitsufreak74
4/18/08 2:02:25PM

Posted by Salty

like the quote says in the first post, that was what herb dean told both kenny and joe before the fight so yes those are illegal strikes no matter how you put it, the ref came out and told them what was off limits and kenny didn't listen so there is no defending kenny by saying "it wasn't near the base of the neck" he knew where he was and wasn't allowed to strike.

yes but behind the ears means a parallel line from ear to ear in which only one lesion seems to be located. the top two are not in the illegal area. you can even feel the area on your head. try this, draw an imaginary line from ear to ear, now feel your head below the line and then feel your head above the line. there is a big difference in protection and density. and from that picture only one of the lesions, as i said before, is within the illegal area.
CornishMMA
4/18/08 3:17:10PM
His ear looks the worst thing in that pic

Anyway yeah its a fine line but like the pink and brown, ok so some were illegal but you cant expect the guy to get his measurer out before throwing them, Joe was moving his head and seeing as it made no difference to the fight it dont matter, he got mounted and pounded out so theres no controversy to be had imho, yeah i picked Kenny
mrkennedy
4/18/08 7:27:10PM
just crazy